Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

8 hours ago, RavensDefense3 said:

anyone know if martindale is getting any attention or has any interest in being a HC?

The reports definitely speculate that he will receive some interest. If the Ravens it might actually help in retaining him as the teams searching for coaches are likely going to want to get a head start on getting their candidate in house.

But if he does land a HC job, I wonder who would be next up. Martindale was always considered to be the known next man up after Pees. Don’t get the same feeling for any of our current coordinators. I would guess if Wink leaves we would defer to Joe Cullen, with Chris Hewitt receiving a professional look.

• Like 1

It would be Cullen no doubt. If not here he might/probably get a defensive coordinator job elsewhere this offseason. 

Here's a pretty nice article describing his past for those that don't know/remember his incidents a while back: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/10/joe-cullen-baltimore-ravens-coach-dui-arrest-detroit-lions-alcoholism-recovery-naked-wendys-comeback

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coordinator0 said:

It would be Cullen no doubt. If not here he might/probably get a defensive coordinator job elsewhere this offseason. 

Here's a pretty nice article describing his past for those that don't know/remember his incidents a while back: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/10/joe-cullen-baltimore-ravens-coach-dui-arrest-detroit-lions-alcoholism-recovery-naked-wendys-comeback

This was an excellent article. I had completely forgotten about “that coach”. I remember in high school on the football field laughing at the Lions for being so terrible as an organization that they had a coach that was so weird... and that they actually kept him around after the incident. Come to find out that he’s on our staff and has been a pivotal part of developing a consistently strong defensive unit. Arguably the greatest overachieving unit on our team given the talent it’s received. Would love to see how great that unit could be with an elite prospect injected into it.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Certainly wouldn’t mind bringing him back. Wouldn’t want to lose Joe Cullen along that DL though as I’m sure if Wink sees a coaching opportunity he will take Cullen as his DC, if Harbaugh doesn’t bump him up.

6 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Apparently we can’t resign anyone and need to cut everyone. Was maddening to listen to. 

How else are we supposed to get all the cap space and sign every good FA out there? :P

(I have obviously no idea what these talk back callers were saying, I can only assume that this is the reason why they'd say this)

22 minutes ago, drd23 said:

How else are we supposed to get all the cap space and sign every good FA out there? :P

(I have obviously no idea what these talk back callers were saying, I can only assume that this is the reason why they'd say this)

It was actually the hosts (Jerry Coleman and Ken Weimann filling in).

John Harbaugh: This is the best team I’ve ever been associated with
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 30, 2018, 8:54 PM EST
[IMG]
Getty Images

The Ravens held on for a last-minute win today that gave them the AFC North title, and afterward coach John Harbaugh credited his team for holding together through a season that didn’t always go according to plan.

Harbaugh said after the game that the 2018 Ravens are the best group of players and coaches he has ever been around, going all the way back to when he was playing Pop Warner football.

“This is the best team I’ve ever been associated with in 34 years of coaching and even back to pee-wee,” Harbaugh said. “Look at this team, this bunch of guys. This is what a real team is. This is what a real team looks like. A bunch of guys who make a team. That’s why we’re where we’re at.”

Where the Ravens are at is the playoffs, where they will take on the Chargers next week. Harbaugh thinks his guys are playing together in a way that will make them a tough opponent for anyone.

Big call considering he's won a SB

23 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Big call considering he's won a SB

Honestly I think it makes sense. If we really think about it, this defense is IMO the third/fourth best defense we’ve fielded in franchise history (as I’ve covered in the other thread). This offense is unquestionably better than the 08 rookie Joe and Ray Rice offense’s where Willis McGahee, Derrick Mason, and a “on his last legs” Todd Heap were our best offensive options. This defense is better than our Super Bowl defense IMO. So now it’s all about the offense. And while playoff Flacco rose to demigod standards in the playoffs, I’m not sure this offense isn’t better. Better backup QB (playoff Flacco). Gus Edwards and Kenneth Dixon I would have push Rice/Pierce. Rice was starting to slow down and while he had diddle diddle, wasn’t as explosive as in the prior seasons. The OL I’d give to the SB unit. At WR that SB unit was superior, but this unit is better at TE. I’d give the edge to the SB offense, but it’s not a prominent edge.

And on special teams both units had guys who could make big returns. But I would probably trust veteran Tucker in key kicking situations a little more than I would rookie Tucker. It’s defijitely close.

But then throw in how this unit has stuck together all season long, they didn’t have a lazy LT that needed to be benched and then started late in the season to motivate him (Bryant McKinnie), they didn’t have a mutiny in the locker room that could’ve derailed the season, and they didn’t have to fire their OC midseason because he lacked any sort of creativity (Cam Cameron).

We’ve moved on from players at starter (Joe Flacco), had guys fill in for key injured options (Chuck Clark and RG3) but never complained about their role. Our receivers went from pass first to run first and outside of John Brown seemingly sulking for a few weeks, it didn’t lead to any ego issues. These guys have bonded together for one cause.

This schedule we’ve faced is also arguably the toughest schedule I’ve seen us face since I’ve been watching the Ravens play. Their weren’t really many creampuffs this season. So to prevail against this schedule and still get in and get in with clutch defense in back to back games (that Chargers game could’ve easily saw a different result if the defense doesn’t get that fumble 6) was key.

So in the end, regardless of how it finishes, this squad was certainly talented from top to bottom. That said, Harbaugh acknowledging this squads talent sort of puts the pressure on him. Because if arguably our most talented unit ever can’t get it done, let alone beat early in the playoffs, what does that say about the coaching job?

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Oh and screw you Dez Bryant. Bet you wish you took that money now 

True. In retrospect it’s probably good that we didn’t sign him. No way could I see Dez Bryant standing idly by while his target shares decrease to extremely low levels. Both Snead and Crabtree have been quite gracious in accepting roles as blockers that see only a few targets a game.