2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

Just now, rcon14 said:
1 minute ago, JBURGE said:

Top 3 in what, the division?

Aaron Jones was the most efficient RB in the NFL last year on a per touch basis.

That's fine, but are we really going to call him a top 3 RB?

Just now, JBURGE said:

That's fine, but are we really going to call him a top 3 RB?

I mean, I would. I want efficiency from my runningbacks and he has it. He also is a weapon in the passing game. If you watch his tape from UTEP, he was running a large route tree and was something that was malpractice from McCarthy not to utilize.

• Like 1

Just now, rcon14 said:

I mean, I would. I want efficiency from my runningbacks and he has it. He also is a weapon in the passing game. If you watch his tape from UTEP, he was running a large route tree and was something that was malpractice from McCarthy not to utilize.

I feel like consist production is probably above that. 

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Aaron Jones was the most efficient RB in the NFL last year on a per touch basis and was the 2nd most efficient his rookie year.

Yes! An Aaron Jones guy. Man, we could have used you last season when this forum was having a blowup over Aaron Jones v. Jamaal Williams and touches. 

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I would rather take a WR on day 3 than pay Duke Johnson to play WR. 

Yea, but Rodgers loves to throw to RBs who can catch the ball.....

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

CHTV:

Free agent safety Earl Thomas said last week that he wants to be the NFL's highest-paid at his position.  The Packers, as it turns out, need a safety.  Or two.  And as we've learned, counting solely on young players in those roles is not an ideal recipe.

Some hear "highest paid" and cringe.  Last year, when Aaron Rodgers signed his current extension, many fans who are staunch supporters of Rodgers and the Packers weren't thrilled with the money that was thrown around.

It's important to be financially prudent, as Russ Ball has been for many years.  But there's also a time to strike when the opportunity allows for it.

With Seattle, Thomas was the fifth-highest paid safety in the league, both in overall contract value and average per year.  His deal was worth $40 million and averaged $10 million per season.  Even at those numbers, Thomas's teammate Kam Chancellor came in with a contract worth $12 million per year ($38 million total).

Would it be possible to structure his contract with huge incentives going to the amount of games he plays in to help offset the risk?  I'm assuming he and his agent would balk at that. LoL

Just now, thrILL! said:

Would it be possible to structure his contract with huge incentives going to the amount of games he plays in to help offset the risk?  I'm assuming he and his agent would balk at that. LoL

Could you? Yeah. Would he accept it? No. A guy with his recent injury history should be targeting as much GTD money as he can get.

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yes! An Aaron Jones guy. Man, we could have used you last season when this forum was having a blowup over Aaron Jones v. Jamaal Williams and touches. Yea, but Rodgers loves to throw to RBs who can catch the ball.....

We'd better invest in another RB that can get (or contribute) field time next year. If MLF is thinking to push the running game (fine with me) - we'll need insurance against Jone's knees and the potential / likelihood he'll (again) lose some time to injury. Cheaper and less experienced is how you build depth and roster balance - but I'd like to have somebody behind Williams that isnt just a cheap / inexperienced body.

Add on: Perhaps we have somebody on the PS thats ready to rotate up. Cant say.

Edited by Leader

Just now, JBURGE said:

I love Aaron Jones, I just don't think I can call him anywhere close to a top 3 back right now

That's fine. Valuing runningbacks is difficult because it's hard to attribute production to them vs their O-line.

• Like 1

Just now, Leader said:

We'd better invest in another RB that can get (or contribute) field time next year. If MLF is thinking to push the running game (fine with me) - we'll need insurance against Jone's knees and the potential / likelihood he'll (again) lose some time to injury. Cheaper and less experienced is how you build depth and roster balance - but I'd like to have somebody beind Williams that isnt just a cheap / inexperienced body.

how much are you gonna spend on RB3? How much better do you think (insert vet here) is going to be than random day 3 RB?

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

how much are you gonna spend on RB3? How much better do you think (insert vet here) is going to be than random day 3 RB?

Well - that depends (again) on how heavy MLF decides to go with the run game. If its considerably more than this year - which is what its sounding like - then I dont think AJ can be counted on to go the distance as the bell cow. He's good and all that - but so far he's proven injury prone.

Williams rotates up and splits time with whomever is brought in. A veteran RB wouldnt have to go thru the learning curves of learing pass protections and blocking - i.e. rookie stuff. Plug and play. 

It sounds (or feels) like the FB is once again going to be part of our offense. The position disappeared last year - or ever since RIPs fumble.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Well - that depends (again) on how heavy MLF decides to go with the run game. If its considerably more than this year - which is what its sounding like - then I dont think AJ can be counted on to go the distance as the bell cow. He's good and all that - but so far he's proven injury prone.

Williams rotates up and splits time with whomever is brought in. A veteran RB wouldnt have to go thru the learning curves of learing pass protections and blocking - i.e. rookie stuff. Plug and play. 

It sounds (or feels) like the FB is once again going to be part of our offense. The position disappeared last year - or ever since RIPs fumble.

if MLF is running the ball more than like 40% of the time he's already super inefficient.

7 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

if MLF is running the ball more than like 40% of the time he's already super inefficient.

Depends on what your definition of efficient is:

2013: Broken collarbone
2014: Calf tear
2016: Offseason clean-up surgery on knee from high school injury
2017: Broken collarbone
2018: MCL sprain, third reported concussion

A little more running game might not be a bad idea.