Keys to Gruden Success?

Humble_Beast

Whether you like it or not, Gruden is here for the long term. So we need him to be successful if we want to turn this program around.. What do you think Gruden needs to do in order to be a successful coach

• Delegate his duties...Gruden is calling plays, being a GM, and a head coach. Way too much autonomy 
  • Needs to demote Greg Olsen to QB coach, need to hire an upcoming play caller to groom. there has to be someone out there that Gruden can mold... Need a young coach to work with the old coach
  • Fire Cable, need to get a real OLine coach
  • Fire Reggie and bring in a better GM or president of Football Operations. Reggie had a shot but hired bad coaches, and drafted horrible. Gruden could have input, but he needs a respected mind to help him avoid group think to make the best roster decisions for the Raiders
  • Cut all the overpaid players/washed up players/players not buying in: Roberts, Penn, K Smith, J Nelson, Melvin
  • Need to surround Carr with more talent, fix the oline 
  • Overall infusion of talent and speed to defense
  • no stupid trade like M Bryant... not getting value in trade downs
  • hit on those picks
Edited by Humble_Beast

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Whether you like it or not, Gruden is here for the long term. So we need him to be successful if we want to turn this program around.. What do you think Gruden needs to do in order to be a successful coach

• Delegate his duties...Gruden is calling plays, being a GM, and a head coach. Way too much autonomy 
  • Needs to demote Greg Olsen to QB coach, need to hire an upcoming play caller to groom. there has to be someone out there that Gruden can mold... Need a young coach to work with the old coach
  • Fire Cable, need to get a real OLine coach
  • Fire Reggie and bring in a better GM or president of Football Operations. Reggie had a shot but hired bad coaches, and drafted horrible. Gruden could have input, but he needs a respected mind to help him avoid group think to make the best roster decisions for the Raiders
  • Cut all the overpaid players/washed up players/players not buying in: Roberts, Penn, K Smith, J Nelson, Melvin
  • Need to surround Carr with more talent, fix the oline 
  • Overall infusion of talent and speed to defense
  • no stupid trade like M Bryant... not getting value in trade downs
  • hit on those picks

Pretty much covers it. But his ego won't allow this. 

Reggie is gone, I've been saying that since the draft. The fear here is Gruden just hire a yes man. His ego isn't going to allow him to give up much power. He certainly isn't going to bring in an OC to assist in anyway. 

Best we can hope is they crush the draft in a big way and get enough talent that the team buys in.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Pretty much covers it. But his ego won't allow this. 

Reggie is gone, I've been saying that since the draft. The fear here is Gruden just hire a yes man. His ego isn't going to allow him to give up much power. He certainly isn't going to bring in an OC to assist in anyway. 

Best we can hope is they crush the draft in a big way and get enough talent that the team buys in.

You make it sound like Reggie was good or something.  He is the reason this team sucks not Gruden.

If JDR was still HC how many wins would the Raiders have ? Mack still wouldn’t be a Raider. The Team still wouldn’t have talent.

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You make it sound like Reggie was good or something.  He is the reason this team sucks not Gruden.

If JDR was still HC how many wins would the Raiders have ? Mack still wouldn’t be a Raider. The Team still wouldn’t have talent.

They both suck. McKenzie's draft's yielded little results. It's been beat to death.

Gruden's out of touch as a GM as well. Trading a 3rd round pick for Bryant, compeltely dumb. Flexing his ego and trading a HOF talent and leader on defense.....,dumber. Signing a bunch of washed up vets who haven't been good in years and jettisoning younger players was a terrible move. Trade Switzer a young upstart player to keep Dwayne Harris, why? 

People like you want to point to rebuilding.... you don't rebuild with the OLDEST roster in the league. 

You have players retiring. Sounding off in social media. Bruce Irvin shouts "I'm free" at practice with his new team. More rumors of retirements in season. One player sounding off on the way out saying "get me the (expletive) outta here". 

And as a coach... this QB guru with his years of learning and being around franchises as an analyst. His offense is going to be modern and yada yada. They can't score points. Can't move the ball, etc. 

Look across the Bay.... that's a coach. UDRFA QB, RB and WR and the team is competing on offense despite major injuries. 

To top it off, Gruden is a blowhard.... just a string of sound bytes that speak to how tone deaf he is about how poorly a job he's doing. He sucks....... 

• Like 3

People shouldn’t judge him by games this year, we are not trying to win football games. I don’t care what facial expressions you see, we’re not trying to win. 

The judging starts with the draft. Can he pick the right players all the way to the 5th Round? McKenzie was probably the worst draft guy in the league, Gruden is an automatic upgrade in that department. He hasn’t proved much himsef either though when it comes to drafting. I’ll give Gruden til the end of the 2020 season to judge him though, anything before that in a rebuilding process is just premature. When 2020 comes around we should be a 7-8 win football team, no excuses. 

Despite what anyone thinks, I didn’t want Gruden. I wanted either Jim Schwartz for a normal 3M coach salary, or if you’re gonna throw 10M at someone, throw it at Jim Harbaugh. He was fantastic for the 49ers, clashed with the GM.. worst reason ever to run a guy out of town. Some plyers butt heads with him too, boo frickin hoo. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

While things are horrible it could get better with a few moves like firing Tom Cable and hiring an actual GM. Gruden tired to hire Elliot Wolf last year but he didn't take it because it wasn't the role of GM because the Raiders still had Reggie. If they finally move on from McKenzie bringing in a someone like Elliot Wolf as GM could be a nice step-up. He has worked under some great GMs like Dorsey and Thompson. I would expect Raiders draft to be heavy on defensive players and I fully expect Grduen to sign some veterans on offense. Hopefully not 33 or 34 year olds. Get someone like Randall Cobb 30, that's fine.

We'll see what happens but I feel strongly about Cable needing to be fired, he's horrible. He's gotta go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

People shouldn’t judge him by games this year, we are not trying to win football games. I don’t care what facial expressions you see, we’re not trying to win. 

This is a lie. Teams don't tank in football. It's a culture killer. And right now the Raiders brand is at an all time low and it will be hard to convince FA's to come play without overspending.

The judging starts with the draft. Can he pick the right players all the way to the 5th Round? McKenzie was probably the worst draft guy in the league, Gruden is an automatic upgrade in that department.

And Gruden was suppose to be an upgraded playcaller over Downing, but it's not the case. Careful what you wish for. Gruden has proven to be a horrible GM. At least McKenzie would have kept Mack, drafted James and not traded a 3rd round pick for Bryant. That was all Gruden's doing. 

I’ll give Gruden til the end of the 2020 season to judge him though, anything before that in a rebuilding process is just premature. When 2020 comes around we should be a 7-8 win football team, no excuses. 

So giving Gruden a pass... calling it "rebuilding" but he has the oldest roster in football unnecessarily. Call this season what it is.... a FAILURE. They were not "rebuilding" when this season started. Remember, Gruden and Davis both said they are trying to win in Oakland before moving. 

if you’re gonna throw 10M at someone, throw it at Jim Harbaugh.

This we can agree on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, raidersedge said:

While things are horrible it could get better with a few moves like firing Tom Cable and hiring an actual GM. Gruden tired to hire Elliot Wolf last year but he didn't take it because it wasn't the role of GM because the Raiders still had Reggie. If they finally move on from McKenzie bringing in a someone like Elliot Wolf as GM could be a nice step-up. He has worked under some great GMs like Dorsey and Thompson. I would expect Raiders draft to be heavy on defensive players and I fully expect Grduen to sign some veterans on offense. Hopefully not 33 or 34 year olds. Get someone like Randall Cobb 30, that's fine.

We'll see what happens but I feel strongly about Cable needing to be fired, he's horrible. He's gotta go.

If Gruden fires Cable, I will be more optimistic. It will signal a true sign he's aware of faults, made a bad hire and course corrected. If he attempts to give more hogwash sound bites about injuries on the Oline and sticks with him, then stick a fork in him.

On the GM front.... any GM is just a yes man for Gruden. Why do you think Wolf decided to go to Cleveland and work for a REAL front office to start with. Nobody wants to be a defacto GM puppet to GM Gruden. 

People really think tanking isn’t a thing in Basketball and Football? It definitely is. I will agree the season didn’t start off as a tank but it did start off as a rebuild with 5-7 win expectation. Once the Chargers beat us the first time and we realized how bad we were, we went into full 100% tank mode. Who cares about morale when none of these guys will be here in 2020. Don’t care about big FA’s either. 

Edited by BayRaider

I know it happens in basketball... one play is 1/5 of your lineup and a HUGE impact.. I also thought one player is just 1/11 and football more a team sport of course QB play is VERY important....  I know last couple games teams might rest guys, but seems Raiders been tanking for the entire season

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

I know it happens in basketball... one play is 1/5 of your lineup and a HUGE impact.. I also thought one player is just 1/11 and football more a team sport of course QB play is VERY important....  I know last couple games teams might rest guys, but seems Raiders been tanking for the entire season

Nah Weeks 1-5 we tried to win. Couldn’t  finish in Weeks 2 and 3.. and Chargers beat us up in Week 5. We went from competitive the 1st quarter of the season, in games til the very end, to getting blown out 30+ every game.