You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

Just now, Outpost31 said:

So it's a scheme thing.  Scheme doesn't matter to me.  The NFL is over a century old.  It's not about scheme, it's about execution.  The best scheme in the world fails without execution.  The worst scheme in the world thrives with good execution.

McCarthy has had fast starts to the season almost every single year he has been here.  The slow start to seasons thing is a myth that has been debunked.

So our Head Coach Craigslist Ad should look this:

Seeking a schematically fresh cheerleader who knows how to manage games?   

Holy friggin shart, are you Mike McCarthy? It's all about execution you say. Let me do the question asking just once. If the opposing defense knows exactly what play is coming, and they can react quicker, get better jumps, and know what spot to get their bodies to, do you think a modern NFL team can win simply by out-executing the team they're up against that knows them like the back of their hand? Because that's how the defense was in Capers' final years and that's where things are with this offense.

In a different thread, it was shown how Sean Payton had to revamp his playbook, erase their tendencies, and change the team's pace to get the Saints fortunes turned. You like McCarthy think its just a matter of execution. Got it.

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

Don't even try and deny that the keep McCarthy narrative is built on anything other than fear of doing worse. If it was anything other than that, there'd be posts lauding McCarthy's superiority in any coaching aspect in today's NFL.

1. Mike McCarthy has made all-pro players out of Lang, Sitton, Bakhtiari (all of which drafted past the second round).
He has had a strong offensive line with OL picked from late rounds to undrafted. 

2. McCarthy took a team with no cornerbacks to a Championship game (Falcons).

3. McCarthy took a team with no receivers to and almost won a Divisional Round Playoff game. 

McCarthy has frequently brought talent-devoid teams into the playoffs and kept teams in contention for the playoffs with third string quality quarterbacks. 

A Montgomery idiot play, an Aaron Jones fumble, an Aaron Rodgers bad performance (Seattle), a terrible BS roughing penalty and 17 points on 22 yards given up to the Lions have prevented McCarthy from being 9-1 on the season. 

No team in the history of Thursday Night Football has won an away game traveling two timezones, and McCarthy just nearly did it.  Everybody focuses on his refusal to go for it while neglecting a LOT of bad decisions and a bad throw from Rodgers on our last 4 offensive drives. 

No, it's not about fear.  I genuinely believe McCarthy is a good head coach.  He was matching up perfectly with Bill Belichick until Jones killed the game.  It was 17-17 and we were on New England's 34 yard line in the fourth quarter before that Jones fumble.  It killed that game. 

I do not want to keep McCarthy because I'm afraid of the next head coach failing.  The next head coach failing is an ADDITIONAL reason I don't want McCarthy gone. 

McCarthy has on an abundance of occasions coached a mismatched team to keep up with superior teams.  He did this with Hundley, he did this with Flynn, he did this with Rodgers and Favre. 

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

Reid wore out his welcome in Philly but seems to be doing well in KC.  That team looks like a winner.   I just think a change in scenery would do wonders for the team and Mac.

Right. A team is going to get a darn good HC. Mac needs a change and so does the team. It’s painfully obvious at this point. 

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

Holy friggin shart, are you Mike McCarthy? It's all about execution you say. Let me do the question asking just once. If the opposing defense knows exactly what play is coming, and they can react quicker, get better jumps, and know what spot to get their bodies to, do you think a modern NFL team can win simply by out-executing the team they're up against that knows them like the back of their hand? Because that's how the defense was in Capers' final years and that's where things are with this offense.

This isn't true, and you know it.  With Capers it's absolutely true.  McCarthy got rid of him. 

You act like defenses know exactly where we're going every play.  That's not true.  There are players open on every single play we run.  The Seattle game should have been proof of that.  Rodgers isn't taking those passes.  The irrefutable visual evidence of this has been posted ad naueseum.  McCarthy has called great games where players are getting open and confusing defenses. 

In a different thread, it was shown how Sean Payton had to revamp his playbook, erase their tendencies, and change the team's pace to get the Saints fortunes turned. You like McCarthy think its just a matter of execution. Got it.

Landing Kamara, Lattimore and the 32nd overall tackle a draft ago didn't help Payton at all? 

Just now, Ketchup said:

Right. A team is going to get a darn good HC. Mac needs a change and so does the team. It’s painfully obvious at this point. 

It could be that simple, but I think Reid is a notch above McCarthy. Reid has shown some innovations in KC but his teams have yet to avoid a late fade or had playoff success. Even Reid hasn't escaped some of his old skeletons. McCarthy has shown no innovation and has always had trouble with in-game management and slow starts.

Where are the RECENT anecdotes Outpost? What can 2018 McCarthy be lauded for in today's NFL?

Is he still considered a QB guru? - Not after the Hundley debacle. He's not in the same universe at developing backup QBs like Holmgren did

Is his offense considered innovative? - Its a west coast offense without any new wrinkles. McCarthy himself says we do what we've always done, just need to execute better.

Are his teams among the league's most healthy? - Huge nope here despite countless attempts to lighten their practice load. (Hint, maybe that's the issue)

Do his team's get off to fast starts? - His teams are known for poor starts which dig a hole the team has overcome once by winning 3 road playoff games 8 years ago 

Is he considered a developer of o-lineman like you insinuate above? - Credit has always gone to TT for unearthing talent in middle rounds and to position coaches

Is he lauded as a coach who recognizes talent and gets the most out of individual strengths? - He was the last person on the planet to realize what they had in Aaron Jones

Have his teams been known for consistent strong play from all 3 units? - I think the Packers have had one ST ranking in the top half of the league since he's been here

Has he made good staff hires and kept the Packers coaching room among the league's best? - Name one coach who has come from under McCarthy's tutelage and had success

What is so darn good about Mike McCarthy that he needs to be kept? Especially when you face the fact that Aaron Rodgers is going nowhere and keeping McCarthy would mean going with the status quo.

As many have long suspected and many more are coming to realize now. This is not a special football coach. He had the fortune of coaching one of the most talented QBs to ever play the game. And the Packers should have more than one Aaron Rodgers led championship season to show for it.

That last knock against McCarthy and the quality of his coaching staffs should not be underestimated. How many head coaches get this many hires and fires in their coaching room before the buck stops with them? And who came from under his wing and went on to have success elsewhere? If I'm an owner or GM hiring a head coach this coming offseason and McCarthy is available, I'm terrified of the quality of staff he'd be able to put together. What coaching talent is he bringing with him? Where has it been during his Packers tenure?

14 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Its football, you cant control injuries.

It hasn't stopped coaches and teams from trying to find ways to decrease both the frequency and severity of injuries. Some teams are starting to incorporate MORE hitting, MORE full padded contact drills, and MORE preseason playing time back into their camps and in-season. If the league didn't cap them, there'd be teams hitting even more. McCarthy is going the opposite direction and has been for some time.

3 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

It hasn't stopped coaches and teams from trying to find ways to decrease both the frequency and severity of injuries. Some teams are starting to incorporate MORE hitting and MORE full padded practices back into their camps. If the league didn't cap them, there's be even more. McCarthy is going the opposite direction and has been for some time.

I am curious why you do this.  You just say stuff that is wrong like no one will see it.  Makes people wonder why you are here.

Teams are barred by the CBA from adding in more padded practices.

The Packers are already maxed out.  

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I am curious why you do this.  You just say stuff that is wrong like no one will see it.  Makes people wonder why you are here.

Teams are barred by the CBA from adding in more padded practices.

The Packers are already maxed out.  

I realized my mistake in specificity and corrected it. The league does cap the amount of padded practices. McCarthy has them in pads but team DOES NOT do as many contact drills as they have in the past. And he has played his starters a decreasing amount in preseason games without any resulting health improvement. All he's done is make them ill-prepared for full speed, full contact NFL regular season games.

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I realized my mistake in specificity and corrected it. The league does cap the amount of padded practices. McCarthy has them in pads but team DOES NOT do as many contact drills as they have in the past. And he has played his starters a decreasing amount in preseason games without any resulting health improvement. All he's done is make them ill-prepared for full speed, full contact NFL regular season games.

link?

37 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

That last knock against McCarthy and the quality of his coaching staffs should not be underestimated. How many head coaches get this many hires and fires in their coaching room before the buck stops with them? And who came from under his wing and went on to have success elsewhere? If I'm an owner or GM hiring a head coach this coming offseason and McCarthy is available, I'm terrified of the quality of staff he'd be able to put together. What coaching talent is he bringing with him? Where has it been during his Packers tenure?

You don't consider what James Campen has done impressive? Joe Whitt?? What Ben Sirmans has done with Jones and Williams?

I love our position staff. That's a check for McCarthy, not against.

13 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

That's what training camp is for, I guarantee no teams do a lot of contact drills during the season. The preseason doesn't even matter right now 10 weeks into the season. You cant stop freak injuries, or landing the wrong way or tearing something, or getting a concussion. No one has a secret formula to stop injuries. Contact drills might even cause more injuries. It has happened before where players go down in practice. For all the issues McCarthy is blamed for this shouldn't be one of them, because he took a team with 15 IR guys to the super bowl.

Archived