You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

But do you put any blame on McCarthy?

Absolutely I do.  Just like I put blame on Belichick for his poor drafting.  Just like I put blame on a lot of really good head coaches.  No head coach is perfect.  There are things McCarthy does that drive me absolutely insane.  Absolutely INSANE.  I don't sit there watching games screaming, "Way to go, McCarthy!"  I don't even like McCarthy.  If I had a choice between head coaches starting a new franchise and not considering what happens when a change is made, McCarthy probably doesn't crack the top 5 for me.  He most certainly absolutely cracks the top ten available head coaches based on his body of work and other things (such as how well he coaches offensive linemen), but he certainly isn't my favorite head coach, and I do NOT, contrary to believe, love him. 

I do not love McCarthy.  I'm probably more centered on McCarthy than literally anyone here.  He's not the best, but you can do a whole lot worse, and doing any better is a risk. 

Let me repeat that because I think it's extremely unacknowledged here:

McCarthy is not the best.  You can do a whole lot worse.  Whether or not you can upgrade is a risk.

Line for line:

McCarthy is not the best.  He has faults. 

You can do a whole lot worse.  A lot of things McCarthy does very well that get neglected here could easily turn to weaknesses.  Another coach could get less out of his offensive linemen.  Another head coach could get less out of our defensive personnel.  Hell, another head coach could START poorly with Rodgers and THAT could get worse. 

Whether or not you can upgrade is a risk.  There has not been one head coach hired where the hiring GM has thought they would fail miserably.  A LOT of head coaches have failed miserably. 

The haters purely and wholly hate him.  They're more irrational than I am. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

He's a goner? Maybe. From what I learned about HR, when MM was put on notice with the one year extension, MM was given benchmarks he had to meet to be retained. That's SOP. What they are only Murphy, and the Executive Board know, but likely benchmarks for an NFL coach might be number of games won this year, and/or winning the NFC-North, or maybe getting a wild card seed. Simply a winning record might not be enough to save his job. 

The people I know say it's a done deal. Also a done deal is Murphy taking a step back and granting Gutekunst full authority over the coaching hire and over the coach in general going forward. The editorials coming out since only confirm what's been told to me and what I shared prior to those columns being published. They're too exact not to have been fed to them.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Jason Garrett is about to be another example of how experienced head coaches can pay dividends if you stick with them and give them the talent they need to turn the team around.  

You think McCarthy has made some boneheaded decisions and failed his team... Just look at Garrett a year ago all the way to three weeks ago and look at him now.

don't hitch your horse to that wagon...

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

But this nonsense of him strong-arming AVP out of town to piss off Aaron. That's pure garbage IMO.

Never once said that, my stance from the start had been that he chose Cingretti over AVP and that was the wrong move.

The evidence here you continue to ignore is that Aaron had to have been told AVP wanted to come back after striking out as OC or his comment wouldn't exist.

AVP knew he wasn't going to be an NFL OC this year, so you're saying he thought he thought joining Andy Dalton would get him there quicker? Laughable. As I said earlier, EVERY SINGLE one of Mac's QB coaches have become OCs. 

You're essentially saying AVP has 0 patience, didn't want to potentially be blocked by Mac for another say 2 years on an extension (with an organization that had a 100% success rate of QB coaches becoming OCs) and decided Cincinnati was a better option.

Again don't see it. If you're right AVP is a moron and deserves the unemployment he'll see when that Cincy staff is fired in a month.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Right? They got NO on Thursday night at home. A huge advantage. Besides that they've been middling in mediocrity for another season.

They're total pretenders.

Had that boys ML-under parlay running because the defense is legit.  Marinelli is really really good.  Garrett... no.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Right? They got NO on Thursday night at home. A huge advantage. Besides that they've been middling in mediocrity for another season.

It was the Saints 3rd game in 12 days as well.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I still don't buy that secondary, but my boy LVE is legit.

yeah don't take this the wrong way... but I think about you every time I see him play.

Jaylon Smith is somehow making a real comeback which I thought would never happen.  Byron Jones has actually turned into a legit outside corner.  Way better there than safety, and Awuzie is pretty good too.  Would trade all our players for theirs on D in a heartbeat.

If this team makes a run it will have to be in the mold of a 2010s Seatlle- stud RB, cheap QB, and excellent D.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Never once said that, my stance from the start had been that he chose Cingretti over AVP and that was the wrong move.

The evidence here you continue to ignore is that Aaron had to have been told AVP wanted to come back after striking out as OC or his comment wouldn't exist.

AVP knew he wasn't going to be an NFL OC this year, so you're saying he thought he thought joining Andy Dalton would get him there quicker? Laughable. As I said earlier, EVERY SINGLE one of Mac's QB coaches have become OCs. 

You're essentially saying AVP has 0 patience, didn't want to potentially be blocked by Mac for another say 2 years on an extension (with an organization that had a 100% success rate of QB coaches becoming OCs) and decided Cincinnati was a better option.

Again don't see it. If you're right AVP is a moron and deserves the unemployment he'll see when that Cincy staff is fired in a month.

I never said YOU said it, but others have.

And yes, I'm saying exactly that AVP decided to move on from being the QB coach in GB because that's where all the evidence points.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Absolutely I do.  Just like I put blame on Belichick for his poor drafting.  Just like I put blame on a lot of really good head coaches.  No head coach is perfect.  There are things McCarthy does that drive me absolutely insane.  Absolutely INSANE.  I don't sit there watching games screaming, "Way to go, McCarthy!"  I don't even like McCarthy.  If I had a choice between head coaches starting a new franchise and not considering what happens when a change is made, McCarthy probably doesn't crack the top 5 for me.  He most certainly absolutely cracks the top ten available head coaches based on his body of work and other things (such as how well he coaches offensive linemen), but he certainly isn't my favorite head coach, and I do NOT, contrary to believe, love him. 

I do not love McCarthy.  I'm probably more centered on McCarthy than literally anyone here.  He's not the best, but you can do a whole lot worse, and doing any better is a risk. 

Let me repeat that because I think it's extremely unacknowledged here:

McCarthy is not the best.  You can do a whole lot worse.  Whether or not you can upgrade is a risk.

Line for line:

McCarthy is not the best.  He has faults. 

You can do a whole lot worse.  A lot of things McCarthy does very well that get neglected here could easily turn to weaknesses.  Another coach could get less out of his offensive linemen.  Another head coach could get less out of our defensive personnel.  Hell, another head coach could START poorly with Rodgers and THAT could get worse. 

Whether or not you can upgrade is a risk.  There has not been one head coach hired where the hiring GM has thought they would fail miserably.  A LOT of head coaches have failed miserably. 

The haters purely and wholly hate him.  They're more irrational than I am. 

Nothing's a guarantee, but at some point you can't just keep hitting the repeat button and expecting different results. Someone mentioned the idea of bringing back MM next year on a "one-year prove it" deal. But that's exactly what this year was for MM. The easy move would have been to cut him loose with TT and start fresh, new GM, new coach. Instead, MM was given 2018 as his prove-it year. The result so far is 4-6-1. The record is the only thing that matters. It's a bottom-line league. This isn't a year where he's had Brett Hundley starting at QB. He's had Aaron Rodgers for 11 games, whether it's 100% Rodgers or 75% Rodgers. The Packers have been close to winning a lot of games this year against good teams, but yet, haven't won a single one of them. You don't get points for being close in the NFL.

For me, the argument to "give MM one more year" had some basis last year with Rodgers out, coming off the finish in 2016, etc. The thought was maybe 2017 was an anomaly, 2018 will be the "Rodgers revenge tour," MM has a new GM now, etc. I was ready to cut him loose last year, but was okay with retaining him based on past success. Those same arguments simply don't pass muster in 2018. 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I still don't buy that secondary, but my boy LVE is legit.

That D line played really well also. I think LVE is really good but having Smith beside him playing so well allows him to just make plays i think also. both ILB's played really well and the last few weeks they have. I'd take either on our team right now.

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I would like to have Jaylon Smith and LVE though...damn. Boys can fly around the ball. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I would like to have Jaylon Smith and LVE though...damn. Boys can fly around the ball. 

Yeah both defenses actually showed allot of speed yesterday and for the most part tackled well. That's something that our team sorely needs more of. Speed has been there this year but talking is still a huge issue well and injuries. Both of these D's are pretty injury free that helps.

Archived