Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

3 hours ago, Slateman said:

Sorry, but there is no way  you can downplay how dramatic the effect would be if Smith can't play next season. You remember when we were penalized a few years ago? That's basically what Smith not playing would be. A cap penalty.

Eh, I have to disagree with this.

A guaranteed cap charge is a guaranteed cap charge, regardless of whether the player is playing or not. While it is incredibly tough having his contract on the books and not having him play, there's realistically no difference between him breaking his leg this season and him having a less catastrophic but still season ending injury in mid-August 2019. Yes, there is a near 100% guarantee that Smith will not take a snap next year for Washington (and a strong likelihood he may never take a snap again anywhere). But the team planned for this (or at least should have) when they gave him the contract. Unlike in 2012, where the Redskins were penalized for not playing along with the rest of the league's collusion, these charges were known to be there once Smith signed his name on the dotted line back in April.

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Now I will agree Smith would be a better mentor than Colt, but can Smith mentor anyone without knowing the playbook himself? I would Yes on how to be a professional in league but anything dealing with the playbook as you said Hoepfully Colt knows that better than any QB coming in next year if Gruden is retained. 

1. He was with the team for six months. I have to believe he knows something of the playbook.
  2. If harbors any hope of ever playing again, he needs to study the playbook now while recuperating.
  3. If he doesn't harbor any hope but thinks he can wants to get into coaching, studying the playbook while he's recuperating to act as an impromptu coach would be a smart decision.

58 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

We can cut him post June 1st cut and not have it cost us any more cap.

I think this needs to be clarified:

If they cut him after June 1st or designate him as a "June cut" in March, he will not cost the Redskins any more cap than he would if he were on the team.(*) His cap numbers does not disappear.

You know this, but I'm just clarifying for the forum that there isn't a magic wand that can magically make the cap better.

(*) For 2019 and 2020. His salaries in 2021 and 2022 would evaporate as they are not guaranteed, but he would still be a dead entry cap from his signing bonus in 2021 and 2022.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

His contract is a sunk cost.  Its time just just move on from the mistake.  Rip the band-aid off and cut the man.  

Agree that the contract is a sunk cost. Those numbers aren't going anywhere.

But do you think Smith offers nothing to the team, even if it is an advisory role to a rookie? I mean, the guy has had a 12 year career. There's got to be some bit of wisdom he can share with a the rook, right?

11 minutes ago, Woz said:

But do you think Smith offers nothing to the team, even if it is an advisory role to a rookie? I mean, the guy has had a 12 year career. There's got to be some bit of wisdom he can share with a the rook, right?

I definitely think he offers something, the guys seen it all as an NFL qb, the good, the bad and the ugly!

If I were him though, I’d retire and enjoy the rest of my life with my smokin hot wife and family!

21 minutes ago, Woz said:

I don't want him parting any sort of checkdown wisdom :P

2 hours ago, Woz said:
  1. He was with the team for six months. I have to believe he knows something of the playbook.
  2. If harbors any hope of ever playing again, he needs to study the playbook now while recuperating.
  3. If he doesn't harbor any hope but thinks he can wants to get into coaching, studying the playbook while he's recuperating to act as an impromptu coach would be a smart decision.

Guess we will see when the time comes, but from what we seen while he was able to play it didn't look pretty at all. He's really studying the playbook while dealing will these dilemmas that he has since surgery? Naw I don't think so. His money is guaranteed and with his injury the only reason to come back is to show he's a Tough Guy, but if I'm a friend or family of his I'm begging him to hang it up after he recovers. He wouldn't risk getting hurt again and would still be seen as a good guy who career ended because of a devastating injury that paid him 70 million guaranteed. 

Just now, Skins212689 said:

Guess we will see when the time comes, but from what we seen while he was able to play it didn't look pretty at all. He's really studying the playbook while dealing will these dilemmas that he has since surgery? Naw I don't think so. His money is guaranteed and with his injury the only reason to come back is to show he's a Tough Guy, but if I'm a friend or family of his I'm begging him to hang it up after he recovers. He wouldn't risk getting hurt again and would still be seen as a good guy who career ended because of a devastating injury that paid him 70 million guaranteed. 

Again, I am by no means an Alex Smith booster. I feel like I have made my disdain towards him, the trade that brought him here, and the unnecessary and inexplicable contract extension he signed before playing a down for Washington incredibly clear. Those points were not done in hindsight, but in real time when the whole shenanigans went down last January.

At the same time, I am willing to let him get a "coaching internship" by being on the sidelines while we're on the hook for his contract. Maybe he can offer the rookie one grain of insight that makes him a millimeter better than he would have been on his own. If the money's already burnt, why not take the chance for that millimeter?

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

Again, I am by no means an Alex Smith booster. I feel like I have made my disdain towards him, the trade that brought him here, and the unnecessary and inexplicable contract extension he signed before playing a down for Washington incredibly clear. Those points were not done in hindsight, but in real time when the whole shenanigans went down last January.

At the same time, I am willing to let him get a "coaching internship" by being on the sidelines while we're on the hook for his contract. Maybe he can offer the rookie one grain of insight that makes him a millimeter better than he would have been on his own. If the money's already burnt, why not take the chance for that millimeter?

Because he didn't look as though he was even comfortable in the system. So what can he pass to anyone other than how to be a professional in the league? Nothing.

Just now, Skins212689 said:

So what can he pass to anyone other than how to be a professional in the league? Nothing.

That's not nothing, given how many young guys bomb out because they didn't know how to be professional.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Colt McCoy can do that 

As I said, McCoy has a disincentive to help the rookie (if the rookie wins, McCoy goes back to the bench). Maybe McCoy is a bigger man than that, but why risk it?

Honestly, what is the harm here? Unless you truly think that a rookie talking to Alex Smith will lead to becoming a completely hesitant, risk averse QB, I'm not sure I understand the problem.

Archived