Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

On 12/7/2018 at 8:44 PM, Skins212689 said:

I'd prefer to just give him some type of mentor title before I have him fill a roster spot. You want him to earn that 70 million somehow huh? 

As I said, if he's on the PUP he's not taking a roster spot. If he's part of the team solely from a "the Redskins have his rights" perspective and he isn't affecting the roster composition, why not?

11 minutes ago, Woz said:

As I said, if he's on the PUP he's not taking a roster spot. If he's part of the team solely from a "the Redskins have his rights" perspective and he isn't affecting the roster composition, why not?

Cool so on the PUP he's not taking a roster spot, but how things are playing out right now if they finish out the season losing 4 of 4 or 3 of 4 Gruden shouldn't be back. Smith than needs to go as well. He does nothing for us! Get your money and have a good recovery. 

11 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think this current roster of Redskins can tank, unless we let both Scherff/Ioannidis walk (not even sure that does it) start cutting guys and trading them off which, will really put us in more salary cap hell bc some of those guys like PRich will have their guaranteed money accelerated and we’d basically be paying them to leave.

Even if Alex is gone/retired, if we have Guice back next year and Colt is our QB I still think we’re around an 8-8 team bc of the young talent we have spread through out our team, especially on our DL and we’re going to add a few more pieces next draft.

I just don’t see the Redskins as being bottom feeders next year even if Colt is our starter, believe it or not, we’ve actually drafted too well the last 4/5 years for that to happen IMO.

Yes...

Tank.

Cut it all. Get rid of guys and large cap space and start over.

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think this current roster of Redskins can tank, unless we let both Scherff/Ioannidis walk (not even sure that does it) start cutting guys and trading them off which, will really put us in more salary cap hell bc some of those guys like PRich will have their guaranteed money accelerated and we’d basically be paying them to leave.

Even if Alex is gone/retired, if we have Guice back next year and Colt is our QB I still think we’re around an 8-8 team bc of the young talent we have spread through out our team, especially on our DL and we’re going to add a few more pieces next draft.

I just don’t see the Redskins as being bottom feeders next year even if Colt is our starter, believe it or not, we’ve actually drafted too well the last 4/5 years for that to happen IMO.

8-8 just extends out mediocrity.  Mediocrity has gotten us to this point.  It's time to start over, and really, starting over in the NFL isn't the same as starting over in MLB.  

If I'm advocating tanking, which I have in a couple threads recently, I'm taking the entire Smith cap hit next year.  I would also extend Scherff and Ionnnidis to front-loaded deals, so that by the time we are competitive again, their cap hits are smaller, not larger.  I would save just enough cap space for the rookie draft picks, and ride out the tank next season.  That gets us at least picks 1-4 in the draft,, and some serious talent infusion.  We likely get another pick in the 4-10 range the following year, allowing for better talent again.  

I'm sick of the mediocrity when we can be so much better if we stopped trying to win and did a 2-3 year rebuilding/retooling period.  I guarantee if you hired a legit GM, a legit head coach and promised that kind of rebuild, you might actually sell more tickets and more people would show up to support the team during that rebuilding time.  The fans need good news, and we are tired of being dragged through the ringer like this every year.  

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

8-8 just extends out mediocrity.  Mediocrity has gotten us to this point.  It's time to start over, and really, starting over in the NFL isn't the same as starting over in MLB.  

If I'm advocating tanking, which I have in a couple threads recently, I'm taking the entire Smith cap hit next year.  I would also extend Scherff and Ionnnidis to front-loaded deals, so that by the time we are competitive again, their cap hits are smaller, not larger.  I would save just enough cap space for the rookie draft picks, and ride out the tank next season.  That gets us at least picks 1-4 in the draft,, and some serious talent infusion.  We likely get another pick in the 4-10 range the following year, allowing for better talent again.  

I'm sick of the mediocrity when we can be so much better if we stopped trying to win and did a 2-3 year rebuilding/retooling period.  I guarantee if you hired a legit GM, a legit head coach and promised that kind of rebuild, you might actually sell more tickets and more people would show up to support the team during that rebuilding time.  The fans need good news, and we are tired of being dragged through the ringer like this every year.  

This doesn't happen with Bruce still in place though IMO. 

Just now, Skins212689 said:

This doesn't happen with Bruce still in place though IMO. 

With how badly the Redskins have performed under his watch, and the rumors that Snyder is increasingly furious/upset/etc with him, Allen could be out of a job, or at least reassigned and the football operations role given to someone else.  

One thing to note for all of the Fire Allen guys, of which I can say I at least support- Mike Shanahan had final authority in football matters.  When Shanahan was let go and Gruden hired, Allen took that authority.  I can easily see him getting one more chance to appoint a new coach and run with that authority before it is finally taken from him.  Cerrato essentially had the same- authority over Spurrier, Gibbs and Zorn and then released.  So Allen could get one more shot to get this right. 

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

With how badly the Redskins have performed under his watch, and the rumors that Snyder is increasingly furious/upset/etc with him, Allen could be out of a job, or at least reassigned and the football operations role given to someone else.  

One thing to note for all of the Fire Allen guys, of which I can say I at least support- Mike Shanahan had final authority in football matters.  When Shanahan was let go and Gruden hired, Allen took that authority.  I can easily see him getting one more chance to appoint a new coach and run with that authority before it is finally taken from him.  Cerrato essentially had the same- authority over Spurrier, Gibbs and Zorn and then released.  So Allen could get one more shot to get this right. 

The problem is many here see Bruce hasn't done anything to get other shot, yet Synder doesn't seem to get that. Fans not showing up for games shouldn't make you want to be a good owner. Snyder just seems not to know how to win or really want to win. The winnning mentality has to start at the top. Jerry Jones no matter what people say shows he wants to win! 

On 11/27/2018 at 12:37 PM, Woz said:

This is quite concise and insightful, turtle.

I just hope you remember this the next time I criticize a move the front office makes. While their drafting has improved over the past couple of years, their free agent acquisitions have been dubious at best. Just like you evaluated the track record of Bruce's moves, evaluate the full track record of the players, not just the last year.

I don’t really care that you criticize any move the front office or coaching staff makes. What I don’t like is that you aren’t open minded enough to give a move a chance of succeeding. I’d rather see it fail before I totally kill the move.

For example, w/ Alex Smith the team was 6-3 and with most of the same players except for him we are 0-4, I don’t think that’s a coincidence and I don’t care if people disagree with me about it or not.

We all know Alex isn’t an All-Pro QB, but he is a good QB who’s an All-Pro leader of men and people follow him. He was the glue that held this team together and since his leg snapped is half, this team has seeming fallen apart worse and worse week by week.

Olson: Alex Smith, who has gone through so much in his career, starting with the 49ers, has an entire league pulling for him now  

https://theathletic.com/701817/2018/12/09/olson-alex-smith-who-has-gone-through-so-much-in-his-career-starting-with-the-49ers-has-an-entire-league-pulling-for-him-now/

16 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes...

Tank.

Cut it all. Get rid of guys and large cap space and start over.

So don’t keep Scherff & Ioannidis?

I can NOT get on board with that! No way!

Next year we are going to have a new - hopefully upgrade - at LG through the draft or with Cooper the entire season. Our young defensive players will have another year of development and we’ll add more talent through the draft.

I don’t think we can tank w/o cutting everyone who’s average or better on our team - or not re-signing them - I just don’t think it happens. 

Even if Colt is our QB for most of the season next year, or a rookie that beats him out, I think we’re a 5 to 8 win team, especially if Guice comes back healthy and we re-sign Peterson. We can use those two as a one-two punch and run the ball 30-35 times a game the way the Titans did with Henry & Murray a few years ago.

Bottomline, we haven’t built a great team over the last 5 years, but we’ve drafted well enough and built a good enough - mostly young - team so, I just don’t see this team being able to totally tank to the point where they only win 1 to 3 games next year.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

For example, w/ Alex Smith the team was 6-3 and with most of the same players except for him we are 0-4, I don’t think that’s a coincidence and I don’t care if people disagree with me about it or not.

Who cares?  I want to win a Super Bowl.  Alex Smith has done nothing in his career to prove he's capable of winning one.  I slammed the trade for Alex Smith because he's just good enough to get us to the playoffs but not good enough to win it all.  That level of mediocrity is not something I want to strive for.  You seem to be actively rooting for it.  

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Who cares?  I want to win a Super Bowl.  Alex Smith has done nothing in his career to prove he's capable of winning one.  I slammed the trade for Alex Smith because he's just good enough to get us to the playoffs but not good enough to win it all.  That level of mediocrity is not something I want to strive for.  You seem to be actively rooting for it.  

It’s not about that, that wasn’t the context of my post. 

You continue to ignore that Alex has won playoff games and nearly had the 49ers w/average WRs to the super bowl. They only lost bc they lost the coin flip in overtime and their D couldn’t stop NY from getting a FG. 

Good QB, good running back and a great D can and has won teams the super bowl before and will again someday. 

Some teams have all-pro QBs but don’t win Super Bowls bc the rest of teirvtean isn’t good enough.

It’s very hard to win a super bowl, w/ or w/o an elite QB.

Just now, turtle28 said:

It’s not about that, that wasn’t the context of my post. 

Yiu continue to ignore that Alex has won playoff games and nearly had the 49ers w/average WRs to the super bowl. They only lost bc they lost the coin flip in overtime and their D couldn’t stop NY from getting a FG. 

Oh come on, Alex Smith had to be replaced for the 49ers to make it to the SB.  

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Oh come on, Alex Smith had to be replaced for the 49ers to make it to the SB.  

You are ignoring what he did for the 49ers.

Read the story I posted. You know you don’t always have to be a hater, I know there must be a heart somewhere inside you.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

You are ignoring what he did for the 49ers.

Read the story I posted. You know you don’t always have to be a hater, I know there must be a heart somewhere inside you.

The article requires a subscription.

Who's the one ignoring who the starting QB was for that 49ers team?  It wasn't Alex Smith.  They only got that far once they replaced Smith.  

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The article requires a subscription.

Who's the one ignoring who the starting QB was for that 49ers team?  It wasn't Alex Smith.  They only got that far once they replaced Smith.  

Actually Alex was the starter for 1/2 the season and they were 6-2. I think Alex actually won more games that he started that season than Kap. 

anyways, I’m done with this topic before I get banned for feeling what I really think. 

Archived