Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

A c t u a l l y .. .. That thing has multiple purposes one of which is to assure the leg is not shorter after it heels.  It can put pressure on the bones and can be adjusted to "pull" the bones just slightly away from each other as they heal. This lets the bones fill in the gaps between and lengthen the bones as they heal.  So let's not jump to any conclusions just because he's wearing this contraption .
Only his doctors know for sure. 

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

A c t u a l l y .. .. That thing has multiple purposes one of which is to assure the leg is not shorter after it heels.  It can put pressure on the bones and can be adjusted to "pull" the bones just slightly away from each other as they heal. This lets the bones fill in the gaps between and lengthen the bones as they heal.  So let's not jump to any conclusions just because he's wearing this contraption .
Only his doctors know for sure. 

Fair enough.

Still doesn't look good to this layman.

Okay let’s keep it real fellas!!!! There is no way he plays in 2019!!!! If this is the case and you see the Washington Redskins select a QB early then you are talking at the very least Smith never playing another meaningful down here unless it’s as a backup which would be at a crazy price tag. That said it would be going forward but if we’re selecting a QB early in this class I can’t see Smith playing again!!!

https://overthecap.com/the-redskins-options-with-alex-smith/

Great article I found, one I hadn't read before.  We essentially have two options- cut him and take 27% of the cap hit this coming season, or use the "kick the can" philosophy and have 13% hits the next three seasons.  

As I posted before, Mike Shanahan has gone on record many times saying he was handicapped by the NFL stripping the Redskins of cap money, approximately 15% of the cap for two seasons.  

I've been in favor of the tank philosophy ever since this injury and the complicated scenario surrounding the cap space.  I'd rather get rid of it all in one season and get our choice of Justin Herbert or Tu'a Tagovailoa at #1 in 2020, then to continue to struggle through mediocrity with this cap penalty that will prevent us (amongst other things) from putting together a competitive team for the next three years, and maybe still won't end us with a bad enough season to have our pick of super-talented QBs.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

https://overthecap.com/the-redskins-options-with-alex-smith/

Great article I found, one I hadn't read before.  We essentially have two options- cut him and take 27% of the cap hit this coming season, or use the "kick the can" philosophy and have 13% hits the next three seasons.  

As I posted before, Mike Shanahan has gone on record many times saying he was handicapped by the NFL stripping the Redskins of cap money, approximately 15% of the cap for two seasons.  

I've been in favor of the tank philosophy ever since this injury and the complicated scenario surrounding the cap space.  I'd rather get rid of it all in one season and get our choice of Justin Herbert or Tu'a Tagovailoa at #1 in 2020, then to continue to struggle through mediocrity with this cap penalty that will prevent us (amongst other things) from putting together a competitive team for the next three years, and maybe still won't end us with a bad enough season to have our pick of super-talented QBs.  

They will never do this, because Bruce would be admitting the trade was a bad move by him.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

They will never do this, because Bruce would be admitted the trade was a bad move by him.  

So the same front office under Mike Shanahan will struggle through the same thing they did earlier in the decade.  I mean, the only thing worse than making a mistake is repeating it, and this time its not an NFL enforced penalty, and they can do something about it this time.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

They will never do this, because Bruce would be admitting the trade was a bad move by him.  

They could on the grounds that they didn't expect Smith to suffer a catastrophic injury just 10 games into his career with Washington.

Of course, that would mean they would need to cut bait on Smith right away instead of saying things like "if anyone can come back from that injury, it's Alex."

10 minutes ago, Woz said:

They could on the grounds that they didn't expect Smith to suffer a catastrophic injury just 10 games into his career with Washington.

Of course, that would mean they would need to cut bait on Smith right away instead of saying things like "if anyone can come back from that injury, it's Alex."

I think you’re dismissing Brice’s epic arrogance.  

Here's the thing though, I know it sounds like its better to eat Smith's cap now, but that means Brice and Jay are going to go out and draft a first round QB to replace him.  That would be a disaster IMO, I don't want either one of them picking our next QB.  

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Here's the thing though, I know it sounds like its better to eat Smith's cap now, but that means Brice and Jay are going to go out and draft a first round QB to replace him.  That would be a disaster IMO, I don't want either one of them picking our next QB.  

I know, that's the thing about tanking that doesn't add up.  I would tank to get my choice of guys next year, they wouldn't try to tank, and might actually try to trade up to get the QB they want instead.  

Archived