Alex Smith requires emergency surgery; recovery time 6-8 months

naptownskinsfan

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Well in that way I guess, but he does have all the tools and physical gifts to be a good QB. His arm talent is off the charts. With Gruden being some what of a QB whisper, maybe he can get something out of Jones that the Bills and Chargers haven’t so far in his career.

Yeah, but Griffin had those same tools. 

Million dollar arm. Million dollar legs

Ten cent head

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Alex Smith's contract gives him plenty of protection. The contract is guaranteed for injury. If Smith can’t play, the Redskins still have to absorb the guaranteed cap charges of his contract.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/18/alex-smiths-contract-gives-him-plenty-of-protection/ 

And just like how the MLBPA would get on Chris Davis if he ever tried to help the Orioles get out of his contract, the NFLPA would be all over Smith if he made an injury settlement with the Redskins with that much money still on the table.  We're stuck with the hit regardless.  I hope with advances in medicine that Smith can make a full recovery and play football again, but I just hope he has a normal life.  This is his plant foot, and he runs quite a bit.  Theismann's leg ended up shorter than it was before the break, and that apparently hurt his ability to throw the ball.  

This just means that QB is likely going to be a round one "expense" if you will.  There is no other way around it.  There is absolutely no one worthwhile on the FA market.  

56 minutes ago, Brian23 said:

They keep throwing the number around but don't say what years/how it pans out. I'm also curious if the Injury Guarantee changes if he decides to retire. I bet he'd be physically fit sometime next year and able to be "cleared" but that doesn't mean he can play. Is he gonna just sit and try to milk IR until then or does him retiring make the injury guarantee kick in?

I'm mostly used to hockey where the guy's injury guarantee is that they just stay on the roster and never play again, retiring would change/offset what/how they get their money.

The $71 million fully guaranteed amount is fully guaranteed, even if he can't play again.  Here is the spotrac breakdown- https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

Brutal injury. Wish him best wishes for a speedy recovery, but I believe he is done playing. 

Joey T- didn't take him 5 minutes to run and self promote himself after Smith Injury. That annoying personality trait was the big reason Sonny and Billy used to whip up on him when he first came to the Redskins. 

Colt definitely knows the offense much better and will see the open man and in fact throw the guy open more. But you saw what happened to Smith when he depended on Reed to run his route and he cuts it short and there is a 101 yard interception return

With this line- Colt wont make it to December so we better sign two guys now.  

18 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Colt definitely knows the offense much better and will see the open man and in fact throw the guy open more. But you saw what happened to Smith when he depended on Reed to run his route and he cuts it short and there is a 101 yard interception return

FYI, I was listening to Cooley about this during the game, and he referenced that it wasn't all on Reed there, that Reed read the coverage and was going to plant to a spot... fwiw.

12 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Just read this from a friend:

Not only did Alex Smith's injury happen 33 years to the day of Joe Theismann's...the final score of both games was 23-21. ...and both injuries took place at the 40 yard line.

OMG, can we stop with the pedantic coincidences. O.o

19 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

FYI, I was listening to Cooley about this during the game, and he referenced that it wasn't all on Reed there, that Reed read the coverage and was going to plant to a spot... fwiw.

And that means that Alex didnt read the coverage and anticipated Reed to do a normal route instead of an option route. 

I'm a DC area guy on this forum and also a 49er fan. As much as I dislike Smith, he's light years better than Colt. I dont understand the Skins fanbase thinking they're ok with Colt as the QB. Yeah, he knows the system but that doesn't mean he's a good QB. If I were a Skins fan I'd be worried about this being a lost season now.

5 minutes ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

I'm a DC area guy on this forum and also a 49er fan. As much as I dislike Smith, he's light years better than Colt. I dont understand the Skins fanbase thinking they're ok with Colt as the QB. Yeah, he knows the system but that doesn't mean he's a good QB. If I were a Skins fan I'd be worried about this being a lost season now.

What was the season before with Alex Smith?  We were 6-3 in spite of Smith, not because of him.  If you haven't been watching the Redskins games you don't understand how terrible Smith has been.

6 minutes ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

No such thing. We lose out we get a quality coach. Im perfectly fine with winning or losing. So long as its one extreme or the other.

11 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

No such thing. We lose out we get a quality coach. Im perfectly fine with winning or losing. So long as its one extreme or the other.

Firing Bruce Allen is more important than firing Gruden IMO.  But yeah I agree with your premise.  

Archived