Week 12: Dallas Week, Again...

Ghostnote

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You’re kidding me right?

Last year the Eagles lost Sproles, their top corner in Darby, several of their starting linebackers and Wentz and I’m sure I’m missing some.

This year the eagles have had injuries to their starting running back, Jeffery and Wentz missed the beginning of the season recovering from injuries, they’ve lost I think 4 corners, they’ve lost 2 or 3 DL and I’m probably missing some again.

Yeah. While I agree that other teams get injured too. There's something about our team that is concerning me in that we seem to be hit harder than most.

Football Outsiders has their AGL stat. This is how they describe that stat:

For those unfamiliar with AGL, we do not simply add up the number of games missed. We are able to quantify how much teams were affected by injuries based on two principles: (1) Injuries to starters, injury replacements and important situational reserves (No. 3 wide receiver, nickel corner, etc.) matter more than injuries to benchwarmers; and (2) Injured players who do take the field are usually playing with reduced ability, which is why AGL is based not strictly on whether the player was active for the game or not, but instead is based on the player's game status that week (IR/PUP, out, doubtful, questionable, or probable).

Now, you ready for our rankings (1st being the healthiest unit, 32nd being the worst).

Our AGL going back a few years:

Defensive

2017 - 27th

2016 - 31st

Offensive:

2017 - 31st

2016 - 10th

They didn't split them into offense/defense until 2016 (from what I could see), but they did have the entire team. Oh and BTW - they now split them even further into the individual positions.

Here are the years prior to splitting the units out:

Total Team:

2015 - 31st

2014 - 24th

Remember...high #'s are bad. ^^^

So I'm a data guy. And yes, while these aren't raw stats (they equate Trent missing a game more than a 3rd stringer), it still is a good barometer of where this team is healthwise. And yes, all teams deal with injuries. But why is OUR team consistently (outside of the offense in 2016) scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of being healthy?

You have to then point to a number of things. None of them good. The biggest one can be over training and poor recovery techniques. And THAT is on the S&C coaching staff.

Archived