Week 12: Dallas Week, Again...

Ghostnote

Looking at the box score. Turnovers were the major factor.

18 first downs, Dallas had 20

24 of 38 for 264 by Colt is solid.

26:37 in TOP.

Defense allowing huge plays, lack of OL protection and the run game were all concerns. But we kinda knew that would happen with the injuries.

Colt is about as good as it gets for a backup. I think he can settle down and correct the turnovers. Defense holds up its end, with an easy schedule remaining. We should be in line for a few more wins.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:35 PM, RSkinGM said:

The jiggle when she fires the assault rifle is pretty awesome !

Yeah, I too figure we have beat the Cowgirls and the Zebras- too much to handle. 

Dallas 31, Wash 23

Nailed that one - including the dammmm Zebras. 

just finished watching the game because we had company over and I recoreded it.  What can I say.  The D let us down today, not really the INTs.  The refs don't know man.  This team needs to file an official complain or something, this is was too much BS from the refs.  But honestly the tackling in the secondary was atrocious, and missing Dak on that last TD kind of sums up the entire game.  it was not our night.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

The defense was holding their own until the two mental mistakes in the 2nd half. They were gassed. 

Incorrect.

Colt's 2nd INT didn't come come until AFTER the 40 and 90 yard TDs to Cooper.

At that point we were down 24-13 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd.

In fact, in the 3rd, prior to the defense giving up those 2 long scores, our offense had the ball for:

3 minutes (punted to the Dallas 8)

1.5 minutes (TD to Quinn to go ahead 13-10)

And...

Then the 40 yard TD to Cooper.

We then had the ball for over 3 minutes and stupid penalties killed us. We punted from the 38.

They then threw the 90 yard TD to Cooper.

And then we were down 24-13 and Colt was stupidly pressing.

So no...they were not "gassed" because of the 2 late INTs.

They stunk up the joint prior to Colt doing the same

7 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Looking at the box score. Turnovers were the major factor.

18 first downs, Dallas had 20

24 of 38 for 264 by Colt is solid.

26:37 in TOP.

Defense allowing huge plays, lack of OL protection and the run game were all concerns. But we kinda knew that would happen with the injuries.

Colt is about as good as it gets for a backup. I think he can settle down and correct the turnovers. Defense holds up its end, with an easy schedule remaining. We should be in line for a few more wins.

We missed Alex. I don’t know why people ignore how important it is to win the turnover battle and in almost every game Alex has started this decade, he’s won the turnover battle bc he limits bad/negative plays.

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

What was our average offensive points scored before today?

Ball control in the second halves of games so we protected the lead in games we were winning. It seemed to be working judging by our 6-3 record before Alex got hurt.

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Incorrect.

Colt's 2nd INT didn't come come until AFTER the 40 and 90 yard TDs to Cooper.

At that point we were down 24-13 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd.

In fact, in the 3rd, prior to the defense giving up those 2 long scores, our offense had the ball for:

3 minutes (punted to the Dallas 8)

1.5 minutes (TD to Quinn to go ahead 13-10)

And...

Then the 40 yard TD to Cooper.

We then had the ball for over 3 minutes and stupid penalties killed us. We punted from the 38.

They then threw the 90 yard TD to Cooper.

And then we were down 24-13 and Colt was stupidly pressing.

So no...they were not "gassed" because of the 2 late INTs.

They stunk up the joint prior to Colt doing the same

It’s so frustrating bc the game was one we could’ve won if not for Colt’s two ints, and the D getting gashed 3 times, I’m clouding Elliot’s 16 yard TD run too when there was no LB to fill, and Dix took an awful angle as Elliot when in untouched.

Colt shouldn’t have attempted that first one he had intercepted to Quinn. If that’s to Doctson, Doctson probably makes a play on it, but high pointing balls is not Quinn’s forte. He has to know his personnel.

The one that Lawrence intercepted I don’t blame Colt. Moses didn’t do his job, he didn’t hit Lawrence so he couldn’t jump up and tip & ultimately intercept that ball. It was also a tremendous play by yet another pass rusher we passed on in the 2014 draft when we traded down, along with what we really needed the most, a 3-4 DE in Stephon Tuitt. I’ll never get over how we didn’t draft him!!!

The 3rd int was Colt doing what you wanted Alex to do against the Colts, pushing it downfield, giving the WR a chance to make a play even in coverage bc we were behind two scores. So, from your perspective it’s hard for me to understand why you’d be upset with that decision. Now, Harris was grabbed so we should’ve gotten a 1st down bc of defensive holding and before  that we should’ve gotten the helmet to helmet hit on Reed. We should’ve had 1st and goal.

From my perspective, Colt shouldn’t have attempted the pass to Harris; Reed, Doctson, Bibbs or Quinn had to be more  for something to move the chains. I didn’t like that decision.

That being said, this was Colt’s first start since 2014 and he didn’t even have a full practice with the team yet as the starter. I have to imagine he’ll calm down and play better the last month. We have to win at least 3 games this final month if we want to wrap up the division. The running game definitely has to get better in order to get that done and our defense has to freakin tackle better.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s so frustrating bc the game was one we could’ve won if not for Colt’s two ints, and the D getting gashed 3 times, I’m clouding Elliot’s 16 yard TD run too when there was no LB to fill, and Dix took an awful angle as Elliot when in untouched.

Colt shouldn’t have attempted that first one he had intercepted to Quinn. If that’s to Doctson, Doctson probably makes a play on it, but high pointing balls is not Quinn’s forte. He has to know his personnel.

The one that Lawrence intercepted I don’t blame Colt. Moses didn’t do his job, he didn’t hit Lawrence so he couldn’t jump up and tip & ultimately intercept that ball. It was also a tremendous play by yet another pass rusher we passed on in the 2014 draft when we traded down, along with what we really needed the most, a 3-4 DE in Stephon Tuitt. I’ll never get over how we didn’t draft him!!!

The 3rd int was Colt doing what you wanted Alex to do against the Colts, pushing it downfield, giving the WR a chance to make a play even in coverage bc we were behind two scores. So, from your perspective it’s hard for me to understand why you’d be upset with that decision. Now, Harris was grabbed so we should’ve gotten a 1st down bc of defensive holding and before  that we should’ve gotten the helmet to helmet hit on Reed. We should’ve had 1st and goal.

From my perspective, Colt shouldn’t have attempted the pass to Harris; Reed, Doctson, Bibbs or Quinn had to be more  for something to move the chains. I didn’t like that decision.

That being said, this was Colt’s first start since 2014 and he didn’t even have a full practice with the team yet as the starter. I have to imagine he’ll calm down and play better the last month. We have to win at least 3 games this final month if we want to wrap up the division. The running game definitely has to get better in order to get that done and our defense has to freakin tackle better.

I'm mostly not disagreeing with you on Colt. I don't mind the attempt of the first INT. He just underthrew it. It was the correct read as Quinn was breaking open. A stronger armed QB makes that throw. But he did underthrow it so its on him as a stupid decision. And yes, I'm not that mad at him for the 3rd INT because we were so behind and we needed to get yards and points quickly.

My point was that the excuse that the defense was gassed and gave up yards and points because of his 2 INT in the 2nd half ignores reality. The defense gave up the back to back Cooper long TDs prior to his 2 INTs in the 2nd half. 

Again, the "responsbility" for this loss in order:

Crappy Defense

Colt's INTs

Bogus non calls by the refs

Missed XP

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ball control in the second halves of games so we protected the lead in games we were winning. It seemed to be working judging by our 6-3 record before Alex got hurt.

And yet even with those INTs we outscored that "ball control offense. Getting us to 23points would've won the Colts game. And would've allowed us to tie the Texans and go into OT.

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

And yet even with those INTs we outscored that "ball control offense. Getting us to 23points would've won the Colts game. And would've allowed us to tie the Texans and go into OT.

But you can’t just treat turnovers like they occur in a vacuum. Those turnovers probably gave (conservatively) an 8-9 expected points swing in favor of the Cowboys.

And that’s just the cold hard math, not taking into account the big momentum swing that comes with every turnover — especially ones that kill scoring opportunities or gift-wrap points for the defense’s team. 

I’ve been trying to resist the urge to do the analysis myself on how important turnovers are to the result of games. But I bet it’s something in the realm of 5-10% chance (at best) of winning when you’re -3 in turnover margin. We do know that winning the turnover battle by ANY margin gives you a 78% chance of winning the game. Winning it by 3 turnovers? Has to be close to a sure win. 

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm mostly not disagreeing with you on Colt. I don't mind the attempt of the first INT. He just underthrew it. It was the correct read as Quinn was breaking open. A stronger armed QB makes that throw. But he did underthrow it so its on him as a stupid decision. And yes, I'm not that mad at him for the 3rd INT because we were so behind and we needed to get yards and points quickly.

My point was that the excuse that the defense was gassed and gave up yards and points because of his 2 INT in the 2nd half ignores reality. The defense gave up the back to back Cooper long TDs prior to his 2 INTs in the 2nd half. 

Again, the "responsbility" for this loss in order:

Crappy Defense

Colt's INTs

Bogus non calls by the refs

Missed XP

Agreed with that.

Archived