Week 12: Dallas Week, Again...

Ghostnote

1 minute ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Which describes plenty of the offenses in college football right now. Smith has already proven a valuable resource in developing a young QB (Mahomes has given Smith a ton of credit for his development). I would follow the Reid model: draft a QB high that you believe in, sit him for a year behind Smith, and let him take over next year. 

Jared Goff played right away, I don't see the point in sitting a rookie QB anymore.  

Which describes plenty of the offenses in college football right now. Smith has already proven a valuable resource in developing a young QB (Mahomes has given Smith a ton of credit for his development). I would follow the Reid model: draft a QB high that you believe in, sit him for a year behind Smith, and let him take over next year. 

The problem is, the odds of Smith starting the season healthy are extremely small.  We still have to see how the injury heals, and how rehab goes.  You essentially have to operate on the assumption that Smith is dead weight and has no bearing on next year.  So the Mccoy "opt out" was brought up, and that's a good point to consider too.  

18 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

And remind me which QB beat the Cowboys this season after not winning against them for 2 years and losing again today?  Which style of QBing actually wins us games even if it’s not pretty?

Remind me also which defense showed up? The one that held Elliott to 33 yards rushing (0 TDs) and forced a turnover and a TD (which was actually the winning TD)? Or the abomination we saw today?

Remind me which running game showed up. The one where MVP rushed for 99yards? Or the one where he only rushed for 35 yards?

Its getting comical now that people are putting that game on Smith's shoulders. When, after that game I specifically said that that particular game was the type of game where people would include it as a Win in the QB stats and proof that it was good QB play. When the QB actually had very little to do with it.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Jared Goff played right away, I don't see the point in sitting a rookie QB anymore.  

Goff was terrible his rookie year, but had the luxury of having one of the best offensive minds in the league for a play-caller and the best RB in the league in his 2nd and 3rd years. He likely would have stayed terrible had Fisher remained his HC. Most young QBs don’t have that luxury. 

12 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I’m all for drafting a replacement QB, but I don’t want to have to force a rookie QB to play if he’s not ready. We have to pay Smith regardless, might as well throw him in there and prevent our rookie QB from getting killed and developing bad habits. 

So what we learned. “Yeah Alex is not that good, so let’s make sure he dies so a rookie doesn’t “

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Goff was terrible his rookie year, but had the luxury of having one of the best offensive minds in the league for a play-caller and the best RB in the league in his 2nd and 3rd years. He likely would have stayed terrible had Fisher remained his HC. Most young QBs don’t have that luxury. 

Gruden runs a very similar offensive scheme.  And you could argue Goff just needed to go through growing pains his first year.  

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ok, but honestly who really cares about Smith at this point?  He's going to be 35 entering next season, coming off a very serious injury, and honestly he's never proven he can win games when it matters.  Colt McCoy is a career backup, Smith's return is highly questionable.  We cannot count on either as our starter next year.  We have to draft a replacement QB.  We have no choice. 

Correct summation. QB is a NEED this offseason. We need to tank as much as possible in the remaining games and hope a guy slides down to us that we can grab

Don’t hire fisher. Easy enough. 

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

And Peyton Manning started 3-13 his first year, starting from Week One.  Let them get their lumps in early, have a super solid backup like McCoy to keep their confidence up and also utilize the likely high draft pick the next year as well.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

And Peyton Manning started 3-13 his first year, starting from Week One.  Let them get their lumps in early, have a super solid backup like McCoy to keep their confidence up and also utilize the likely high draft pick the next year as well.  

Exactly.

3 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Whom are you referring to?

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

Remind me also which defense showed up? The one that held Elliott to 33 yards rushing (0 TDs) and forced a turnover and a TD (which was actually the winning TD)? Or the abomination we saw today?

Remind me which running game showed up. The one where MVP rushed for 99yards? Or the one where he only rushed for 35 yards?

Its getting comical now that people are putting that game on Smith's shoulders. When, after that game I specifically said that that particular game was the type of game where people would include it as a Win in the QB stats and proof that it was good QB play. When the QB actually had very little to do with it.

You seriously underestimate how much a QB impacts the rest of the game, without it showing up in the stat sheet. Look at the Eagles defense with Chip Kelly as HC vs the defense once he left. Night and day with largely the same personnel. Why?  Mostly because they were on the field far less. When the defense is on the field more, that leads to tired players who make mental mistakes like we saw today. And AP gets more touches if we don’t turn the ball over as much and don’t have to play from behind. 

Archived