The Good, The Bad, The Defense vs. Rams

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

So Carrie sucks because when he's playing man and supposed to have outside leverage, no one helps him inside?

Aside from the coverage bust he wasn't good,, but the scheme needs to help people in the slot as opposed to giving receivers an easy in/out cut with no help.

E.G. watch 3:15 below. Who's in the middle to help there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F-vdwzFQOk

Carrie has been underwhelming since his rookie year, sans a few nice weeks here and there.

Let's be real

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Carrie has been underwhelming since his rookie year, sans a few nice weeks here and there.

Let's be real

Define underwhelming? He's not a bad #3 corner and he's had good weeks. When have we ever had a good pass rush since he's been here to help him out anyway?

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Let's be real

I feel like a 4th year pro about to earn a decent contract in FA is anything but underwhelming as a 7th round draft pick, but hey, that's me.

He'd be fine as a nickel, where he should play.

15 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I feel like a 4th year pro about to earn a decent contract in FA is anything but underwhelming as a 7th round draft pick, but hey, that's me.

Agreed. I mean if any team had their #3/4 CB starting, they would be in trouble as well.

I've just never seen consistently good play from Carrie. 

23 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Idk how you can say he's about to earn a decent contract when he's never put together consistent play. This coaching staff got here and demoted him instantly and he lost a battle to DJ Hayden last year. He had a few nice games here and there, but I'm nowhere near comfortable with him starting for us. I'm not judging him as a 7th round pick, I'm judging him as a starter which is what he is.

48 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Idk how you can say he's about to earn a decent contract when he's never put together consistent play. This coaching staff got here and demoted him instantly and he lost a battle to DJ Hayden last year. He had a few nice games here and there, but I'm nowhere near comfortable with him starting for us. I'm not judging him as a 7th round pick, I'm judging him as a starter which is what he is.

I guess its all about context.  Hayden was given the job last year.  DJ was improved, but Carrie was a further improvement once Hayden got hurt.  I'm not looking for him to start for us either; pretty sure Conley will get thrust into action sooner than later.  And relegate Carrie to a nickel role, where he belongs.  I say decent meaning: decent for what he is, and also: have you seen the contracts even bad players get in FA lately? sheesh.  If he can show he can man the nickel role (which I believe he can), I think teams will come knocking.  Especially since he's played some S and ST's.

Dude isn't a beast or anything, but I think you're giving him the short end of the stick because of a bad game.

Ideally Conley would be our nickel with Sean and Amerson on the outside...but since Sean looks absolutely horrible we need to put Conley in sooner then later. The fact that he missed all TC sucks big time...he really needed these reps...

Amerson-Conley-Carrie-Borders and maybe McDonald will have to mix it up at CB...from now on I think Sean is more of a TE guard until Obi can take over...

8 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I guess its all about context.  Hayden was given the job last year.  DJ was improved, but Carrie was a further improvement once Hayden got hurt.  I'm not looking for him to start for us either; pretty sure Conley will get thrust into action sooner than later.  And relegate Carrie to a nickel role, where he belongs.  I say decent meaning: decent for what he is, and also: have you seen the contracts even bad players get in FA lately? sheesh.  If he can show he can man the nickel role (which I believe he can), I think teams will come knocking.  Especially since he's played some S and ST's.

Dude isn't a beast or anything, but I think you're giving him the short end of the stick because of a bad game.

DJ's main problem was being over physical. All the holding and PI calls and let's not forget he got some bogus ones too. Carrie had a solid game after he went down but he's long a long term starter. Think he's more consistent at safety. Struggled late couple seasons ago. Another thing Hayden didn't get credit for was his willingness to cover bigger guys. He did a solid job in coverage on Greg Olsen.

14 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Dude isn't a beast or anything, but I think you're giving him the short end of the stick because of a bad PRESEASON game.

FIFY

11 hours ago, RaiderX said:

DJ's main problem was being over physical. All the holding and PI calls and let's not forget he got some bogus ones too. Carrie had a solid game after he went down but he's long a long term starter. Think he's more consistent at safety. Struggled late couple seasons ago. Another thing Hayden didn't get credit for was his willingness to cover bigger guys. He did a solid job in coverage on Greg Olsen.

DJs main problem was that he couldn't cover..not being overly physical..he couldn't cover... so he had to hold...like EVERY Play. I would literally cringe every play I saw Hayden because I saw OBVIOUS  holding More times than not. 

And people gave Hayden years and excuses and excuses..and raider fans ALWAYS do that with their top picks until they figure out that they just aren't that good..the list goes on and on

Slowlando

Wiz 2.0 as he was coined 

Lamar Houston

Dmac 

21 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

What Corner have we had consistent play from?? The last decade? Nnamdi? 

What more do you guys want from a 7th rounder? Should we upgrade him??? HELL YAH. But HE is not the issue. Let's upgrade LB and DT before we talk about our 7th rounder who has IMO out performed most of our DBs overall.

he is the only  DB player on our team who I have seen play every DB spot and perform at least decent; THAT is valuable. (And for those of you who say he hasn't had consistent play) go back and watch the 2nd half of the season last year. He looked like the best DB on our team many games last year IMO (go watch off the top of my head the Houston, KC, Bills games last year) he had some big defensive plays. 

10 hours ago, TheMadStork said:

What more do you guys want from a 7th rounder? Should we upgrade him??? HELL YAH. But HE is not the issue. Let's upgrade LB and DT before we talk about our 7th rounder who has IMO out performed most of our DBs overall.

he is the only  DB player on our team who I have seen play every DB spot and perform at least decent; THAT is valuable. (And for those of you who say he hasn't had consistent play) go back and watch the 2nd half of the season last year. He looked like the best DB on our team many games last year IMO (go watch off the top of my head the Houston, KC, Bills games last year) he had some big defensive plays. 

I think everyone is more focused on the fact that Cooper Kupp exposed Carrie's flaws.  I mean Cooper Kupp and the Rams literally gave everyone the formula on how to beat him in coverage.  Carrie can always recover to some degree but if he doesn't, then he is a huge liability in coverage.

13 hours ago, TheMadStork said:

I was responding to SB88 saying Carrie was in line for a pretty decent sized contract this offseason, and I was questioning it when he has never been a consistent player/starter for us. 

Again, there people go again bringing up the fact that he was a 7th round pick. He has obviously exceeded expectations for where he was drafted. He's a successful find for Reggie. But I'm judging him as a starter, which is what he's projected to be this year. I think people unnecessarily champion Carrie because he was a 7th rounder. The small sample sized we've gotten over the past two years of him as a starter hasn't been great.

13 hours ago, TheMadStork said:

he is the only  DB player on our team who I have seen play every DB spot and perform at least decent; THAT is valuable. 

That is valuable and I actually believe that S should be his position. He showed a little promise there and we oddly just never let him go back.

I don't hate Carrie, I just don't think he's that good and people generally don't criticize him as much as our other corners because he was a 7th round pick and he's still on his rookie deal. 

I do not judge Carrie as a starting CB because he should be our 4/5 CB but circumstances have led to him starting.  He should not be a starter but one of the better 4/5th CBs in the league.  I do not think anyone here believes he is starter quality and we all want to have better players.  The issue is Amerson and Smith playing up to their contracts because Carrie has exceeded his.  If he was playing where he should be then everyone would be loving him and talking about how much we would be willing to spend to retain him.

Can we all agree that Carrie is not starter material but given the competition he is in the discussion of being a starter.  

Archived