Gonna Nix A Deal, But Need Dues Paid

the lone star

Would It Be Wrong For Me To Do This?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Would It Be Wrong For Me To Do This?

• Yes, It Would Be Wrong.
    • No, It Would Not Be Wrong.

So I am the commish in a dynasty league and two teams have agreed to a trade. Personally, I don't think the trade is that even (I'll refrain from giving the exact deal because I know people in my league are on here too), so I want to nix it.

But one of the teams has only paid half his dues for the season, and the date for submitting dues for this upcoming season was like 6 weeks ago.

If I nix the deal now, I think I may not receive payment at all, which would deprive many people of their proper payouts. I've played in a few leagues where that has happened, and it is always so aggravating. 

So would it be fair game for me to ask the owner to pay the remaining half now, and then never actually process the trade?

A lot of problems here.

Payment needs to be upfront. Can't allow people to hold out on paying until week 13.

Even if the deal isn't fair by your standards, why would you nix it. If both owners believe that it helps their squad (this season or in the future), it's their right to be able to make the move. Unless there is collusion, you never veto a trade.

Hasn't the trade deadline passed? Slippery slope when you get a week away from the playoffs and teams can still make moves. 

23 hours ago, Forge said:

Damn that's shady. No. Also, why are you unilaterally nixing deals? That's shady as hell, man. 

Yeah, I think it's shady too. I don't think I'll go down that road.

As for nixing, that's how we have it set up this year because we were just concerned with getting a league set up. I think next year I'll have a trade committee or just send stuff to a league-wide vote. We can actually send it to a league-wide vote now if I nix, then the 2 teams both appeal, and 1 of the 14 other owners (myself included) "seconds" the appeal. Then it is just a simple majority vote to push it through. If it's a tie vote, then ionno how to resolve it. Now that I have gotten feedback on this site and others, I think a .500 vote should just mean I process the trade.

Unilaterally nixing deals seems a bit on the shady side. Put it to a vote for the other teams whether or not they feel its fair.

As for the dues, seems like a message to all owners reminding them that their dues are due is a good start. In that message, I would also include what the adjusted payouts would be and that anyone delinquent in their dues would have their winnings garnished.

We had one year where an owner didn't pay until the season was almost over. After that, I made the rule that payment is due on draft day, or you will not be allowed to draft. No one has missed since.

May be a bit strict, but it's fair if the rule is in place for everyone and avoids any complications down the line.

On 12/2/2018 at 10:49 AM, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

So would it be fair game for me to ask the owner to pay the remaining half now, and then never actually process the trade?

This is what I answered no to. 

I gotcha. Thanks. I should have kept the wording consistent. I changed it up in the poll to make it shorter.

Archived