3 Guarantees for 2019

DoleINGout

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I think Justin Jackson is the main reason why Gordon becomes expendable if the two sides run into a holdout situation. What makes it hard to let go of Gordon this offseason isn't replacing the borderline elite production but his veteran leadership. Still, if it comes to a contract dispute for any reason, I expect Jackson to be his replacement relatively quickly.

you think they leta guy who had elite production walk for a 7th round guy with 20 career carries? tough sell for me.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Neither had Gordon. 

The most carries he’s ever gotten was 284 (18 carries per game) in the one year where he managed to stay healthy and play every week. Even in that season, he only got 25 carries one time (for the third time in his career). Even if you want to include receptions in that 25 number, it’s happened 10 times in 50 career games - none this season.

last year he averaged 22 touches/game, year prior he averaged 23 touches. Those are pretty close to 25... so what are you talking about? 

8 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

last year he averaged 22 touches/game, year prior he averaged 23 touches. Those are pretty close to 25... so what are you talking about? 

You used touches per game because he missed games, lol. Part of being a bell cow is being durable. 

He’s had 25 or more carries, only three times, none this season. He’s had 25 or more catches + carries, only ten times, none this season. 

So he’s not shown ability to be a “consistent 25 carry very good to elite back”. If anything, as you’ve said yourself, he’s consistently shown to be less than that.

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You used touches per game because he missed games, lol. Part of being a bell cow is being durable. 

He’s had 25 or more carries, only three times, none this season. He’s had 25 or more catches + carries, only ten times, none this season. 

So he’s not shown ability to be a “consistent 25 carry very good to elite back”. If anything, as you’ve said yourself, he’s consistently shown to be less than that.

last year he played in every game and average 22 touches, are you really arguing that theres a major difference between those 3 touches a game? ANd you keep saying carries to try and manipulate your already weak argument. Are you trying to say you dont get to hit players if they catch the ball?

11 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

last year he played in every game and average 22 touches, are you really arguing that theres a major difference between those 3 touches a game?

I’m clarifying your statement. You said Ekeler isn’t a “consistent 25 touch” back. Neither is Gordon. 

ANd you keep saying carries to try and manipulate your already weak argument.

Simply providing context. I’m pretty sure I mentioned how many times Gordon has hit 25 touches in a game (10). In fact, I think I mentioned it twice.

Are you trying to say you dont get to hit players if they catch the ball?

Are you trying to create a strawman? I said Gordon isn’t a “consistent 25 touch a game”. Which he isn’t. Factually.

31 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I’m clarifying your statement. You said Ekeler isn’t a “consistent 25 touch” back. Neither is Gordon. 

Simply providing context. I’m pretty sure I mentioned how many times Gordon has hit 25 touches in a game (10). In fact, I think I mentioned it twice.

Are you trying to create a strawman? I said Gordon isn’t a “consistent 25 touch a game”. Which he isn’t. Factually.

Ah... so you are arguing the difference between 3 touches a game. i kinda expect people to realize while 25 is generally seen as the # seen as a workhorse but in actually its pretty arbitrary. So if that was in fact your real complaint, ill say you got me and say Ekeler isnt a consistent , elite 22 touch back. The stupidity of having to clarify over 3 touches a game. 

On 12/1/2018 at 6:02 AM, DoleINGout said:

What are three things you expect to see in the NFL heading into 2019? For example:

1. Melvin Gordon plays for a team other than the Chargers.

2. Kris Richard becomes a head coach.

3. George Kittle turns into an All-Pro.

Thoughts?

On 12/1/2018 at 5:21 PM, SBLIII said:

Because he is expendable because of Ekeler, they can get a good return, draft a replacement in the 2019 draft for cheap and I took this as a bold prediction thread honestly.

Ekeler is not good as an every down back. He didn't have much of an impact in either the Titans or Steelers game in which he was out.

They very well may not resign him, but no way in hell is he getting traded.

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

No it doesn’t because a major portion of a rookie’s value is their age and their contract. MGIII is a non-elite running back with knee issues that will be entering a contract year. 

So even if you want to think rookie RBs represent a spike in RB value, doesn’t really prove MGIII is worth a first round pick in a trade scenario.

The other thing with rookies is they're an unknown. Gordon is a young guy in the league at 25 and a proven commodity. Just as good as a gamble in the first round on a guy like Sony Michel with "knee issues".

2 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

They very well may not resign him, but no way in hell is he getting traded.

Which is precisely what I see happening, where the Bolts don't want to sign him longterm to a number Gordon seeks, leading to a hold out and eventually a trade. All I'm saying is that the Chargers are covered offensively with or without Gordon. Maybe the assets from a Gordon trade lead to a replacement for Philip Rivers down the line.

24 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

The other thing with rookies is they're an unknown. Gordon is a young guy in the league at 25 and a proven commodity. Just as good as a gamble in the first round on a guy like Sony Michel with "knee issues".

Michel is 23 now and will turn 24 in February shortly after the Super Bowl. Gordon is 25 now and won't turn 26 until April. Michel was just selected in the round and he has some knee issues but has far less production in the NFL than Gordon. Before this season, Michel had done nothing professionally but somehow his value is higher than a Pro Bowler like Gordon before he is a year younger and able to be controlled under a rookie contract for a few more years? No.

3 Guarantees:

Texans are in AFC Championship Game

Aldrick Rosas becomes an All Pro

Andrew Luck wins Comeback Player of the Year

9 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Michel is 23 now and will turn 24 in February shortly after the Super Bowl. Gordon is 25 now and won't turn 26 until April. Michel was just selected in the round and he has some knee issues but has far less production in the NFL than Gordon. Before this season, Michel had done nothing professionally but somehow his value is higher than a Pro Bowler like Gordon before he is a year younger and able to be controlled under a rookie contract for a few more years? No.

3 Guarantees:

Texans are in AFC Championship Game

Aldrick Rosas becomes an All Pro

Andrew Luck wins Comeback Player of the Year

How will luck win CBPOY NEXT year?

Archived