3 Guarantees for 2019

DoleINGout

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

The other thing with rookies is they're an unknown. Gordon is a young guy in the league at 25 and a proven commodity. Just as good as a gamble in the first round on a guy like Sony Michel with "knee issues".

Doesn’t change the contract issue. One guy is on a 1/2 year deal at soon-to-be 26, the other is younger and on a 4/5 year deal at 23. 

And again, even conceding that first round running backs are somehow representative of running back trade value (they aren’t), that doesn’t change the fact that running backs are hardly ever traded for first rounders. 

53 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Michel is 23 now and will turn 24 in February shortly after the Super Bowl. Gordon is 25 now and won't turn 26 until April. Michel was just selected in the round and he has some knee issues but has far less production in the NFL than Gordon. Before this season, Michel had done nothing professionally but somehow his value is higher than a Pro Bowler like Gordon before he is a year younger and able to be controlled under a rookie contract for a few more years? No.

First rounders lose value as soon as they’re drafted. If for instance Seattle were to put Penny on the trade block the month after the draft, he likely wouldn’t fetch a first. Same can be said about Michel. Conversely, someone like Mayfield or Chubb would probably be worth more than a first. It’s not static and you’re creating a strawman. 

I’ll stick to the “running backs almost never get traded for firsts” fact at the door.

The other thing with rookies is they're an unknown. Gordon is a young guy in the league at 25 and a proven commodity. Just as good as a gamble in the first round on a guy like Sony Michel with "knee issues".

25 isn't really all that young for a RB. Historically, RB's tend to peak around 27 and then start to decline at 28 and then quickly fall off of the map a few years later.  So realistically, Gordon has 1-2 "great" years left in him and this is even without factoring the knee issues. So why would a team give up a first round pick for him when they can use that pick on a position with more of a shelf life?

Backs are a dime and a dozen. I am mean Philip Lindsey might rush for 1200 yards and he went undrafted. No team is giving up a first round pick for a RB. It is just too easy to find quality ones without giving up valuable assets. 

7 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Doesn’t change the contract issue.

That's okay. My point was to show how similar the players are in age, health, and draft value. If Gordon was a top 16 pick, now that he is a few years older and proven in the league, I would say his trade value is dropping to a first round pick in the 16-32 range since you factor in contract and durability concerns. That backs are rarely traded for high draft capital is irrelevent to some team willing to offer it for a chance to compete for a Super Bowl.

18 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

That's okay. My point was to show how similar the players are in age, health, and draft value. If Gordon was a top 16 pick, now that he is a few years older and proven in the league, I would say his trade value is dropping to a first round pick in the 16-32 range since you factor in contract and durability concerns.

For the final time: draft value =/= trade value. 

If teams weren’t going to do it for Bell, they’re not going to do it for Gordon. 

18 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

That backs are rarely traded for high draft capital is irrelevent to some team willing to offer it for a chance to compete for a Super Bowl.

Irrelevant, why? There are teams that want to compete for a super bowl every year, yet we still basically never see it happen. 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Irrelevant, why? There are teams that want to compete for a super bowl every year, yet we still basically never see it happen.

IDK why it's irrelevant for teams that make those decisions, but it has been happening. The Rams giving up a first for Brandin Cooks is one example. People here, including you, thought there was no way Cooks would be traded and specifically for a first round pick. The reasons? It rarely happened, the guy was a veteran, the position is devalued.

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

IDK why it's irrelevant for teams that make those decisions, but it has been happening. The Rams giving up a first for Brandin Cooks is one example. People here, including you, thought there was no way Cooks would be traded and specifically for a first round pick. The reasons? It rarely happened, the guy was a veteran, the position is devalued.

You keep naming receivers because you can’t name running backs. Teams will do it for receivers, as we’ve seen. Cooks twice, Cooper, Harvin, Williams, etc. 

Not really the case with running backs.

14 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Josh Allen finishes top 10 in MVP voting 

I'm more impressed with him now than I was preseason but there are too many problems to fix for 2019 to be realistic, he also has zero weapons and that won't change in one season.

Overall though Allen has been stock up for me which I frankly wasn't expecting this year at all.

51 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

You keep naming receivers because you can’t name running backs. Teams will do it for receivers, as we’ve seen. Cooks twice, Cooper, Harvin, Williams, etc. 

Only a matter of time...

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Tom Brady wins his last Super Bowl in similar fashion to Manning and the 2015 Broncos

As a member of a western team that used to be really good back in the day but hasn't won much in awhile? Which one is he being traded to?

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

The overall trend in the NFL has been more trades than usual.

Along with trading, runningbacks have been drafted more frequently in the first and at higher slots in the draft over the past few years.

In 2019, with the contracts rising for the RB position thanks to LeVeon Bell, we'll most likely see the valuation of top end RB's being enhanced once again. In light of the events with Kareem Hunt, there is one less elite back playing which indirectly affects Gordon IMO. The emergence of Saquon Barkley is another positive development for the RB position since Barkley seems to be showing how much a versatile back may be featured by a team today. The fact that the Giants passed on other positions second overall this year for Barkley helps make the case for Gordon's agent when it comes to negotiations. 

If Trent Richardson was traded for a first round pick when he was 24 or 25 years old, then Gordon should be able to fetch the same for the Chargers at 26. Gordon has outproduced Richardson significantly at similar stages in their careers.

On 12/1/2018 at 5:38 PM, game3525 said:

That makes zero sense.

Gordon still has another year on his contract. This team is a contender and should be in the playoff hunt next year, so why would they trade him when they can still get one more good year out of him? 

Lev has set the precedent. It's not a case of why would they trade him, he's primed for a holdout.  

Archived