BDL 2018 Week 13: Camden Hood Rats @ Portland Horned Owls

Whicker

Camden Hood Rats @ Portland Horned Owls  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Camden Hood Rats
    • Portland Horned Owls

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/05/2018 at 05:00 PM

BDL 2018 Week 13

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both.

Camden Hood Rats

QB- Lamar Jackson
RB- Sony Michel
WR- Courtland Sutton
WR- Dede Westbrook
Slot- Duke Johnson Jr
TE- David Njoku
LT- Hal Vaitai
LG- Larry Warford
C- Chase Roullier
RG- Trai Turner
RT- Orlando Brown Jr
TE- Jason Croom
OL- Cedric Ogbuehi
OL- Ethan Pocic
OL- Ryan Groy
QB- Colt McCoy

DE- Chandler Jones
DT- Akiem Hicks
DT- Grady Jarrett
DE- Yannick Ngakoue
LB- Darius Leonard
CB- Denzel Ward
CB- AJ Bouye
CB- Chidobe Awuzie
S- Kevin Byard
S- Jamal Adams
S- Bradley McDougald
CB- Daryl Worley
LB- Josey Jewell
DT- Solomon Thomas
DT- Star Lotulelei
S- Kenny Vaccaro

Portland Horned Owls

QB1: Patrick Mahomes II
RB1:  Gus Edwards
WR1: Davante Adams
WR2: Tyler Boyd
WR3: Mohamed Sanu
TE1: Austin Hooper
LT: Alejandro Villanueva
LG: Clint Boling
C:  Ben Jones
RG: Will Hernandez
RT: Laremy Tunsil 

Reserves:

QB2: Andy Dalton
RB2: LeSean McCoy 
RB3: Peyton Barber
WR4: John Ross
WR5: Zack Pascal
TE2: Maxx Williams
OL6: Kelvin Beachum
OL7: Jason Spriggs

Portland's 4-2-5 Defense:

DE:  Brian Orakpo
3T:  Kawann Short
DT:  DaQuan Jones
DE:  Za'Darius Smith
WLB: Telvin Smith 
MLB: Blake Martinez
CB1: Desmond Trufant
CB2: Jimmy Smith
SCB: Brandon Carr
FS: Glover Quin
SS: Malcolm Jenkins

Reserves:

SLB: Zach Brown
RLB: Kenny Young
CB4: Kareem Jackson
CB5: Tavon Young 
S3:  Jason McCourty
DE3: Shaq Barret
NT:  Michael Pierce
DL:  Shelby Harris

Camden Hood Rats

Offense
This week we go against a Portland team who got a free pass against one of the leagues quitters last week. It won't go down quite as easy this week.  We think we can force some match up issues this week and here is how we plan to do that:

Speed on the edges- Portland has a good defense, but we think with Jackson running lots of RPO's and option sweeps with our RB's, it's really going to stress the defensive ends of Portland who are more power players than speed guys. Even if they make the correct read, they're going to have a hard time keeping up with the play as Jackson and/or a rb is coming at them. Even with Martinez and Telvin Smith patrolling the 2nd level, we think the lack of speed on the edges for Portland is going to allow us break some big runs today.

Bring out some PA- With all the attention that Jackson is going to get, we need to open up some PA passes to hurt this defense. We're never going to stop attacking with Jackson's legs, but Portland is no doubt going to sell out to stop us there, and we think their aggression can be used against them. Sutton averages just under 20 YPC so he's no strangers to making plays and Westbrook has the speed to make people pay for biting on a run fake. We'll run Duke out of the slot again and use him similar to last week, he'll be pivotal in keeping the LB's on their toes whether he stays in the slot or we flex him to the inside. Njoku and the RB's will help protect Jacksons blindside today also.

Defense (4-2-5 Big Nickel Cover 1)
Against young Patty Mahomes you need to be able to bring pressure, because in big games this year he's been prone to turning the ball over. He's always going to put up numbers, but turnovers are king and we think we can get Mahomes to do some of that today, here's how.

Heavy pressure- Our defensive line is better than their offensive line, flat out. We need our pass rushers to really attack Mahomes this week and force him to either 1. Make shorter throws 2. Force something deeper downfield and make a mistake. Xmad can only offer so much help without really limiting his offense, so we think we'll get consistent pressure on a regular basis today. With our CB's playing press man today, we think Mahomes timing could be an issue for him.

Cover 1 robber Adams/McDougald- This will be crucial for us today. The robber role is one we've used often this year because Jamal Adams is such a versatile piece for us. With Portland lacking true downfield threats outside of Ross, we can focus on a single high safety and rotating Adams and McDougald in our robber role. This role will be pivotal for confusing Mahomes, as our robber is a free roamer who will drop into a medium zone at times, become a blitzer off the edge or rotate in coverage duties for another player who is being sent on a blitz. Having McDougald play our big nickel role, he'll be able to seamlessly rotate with Adams as the free roamer today without tipping our hand.  We think this with combined with our defensive line pressure is going to be a major key for us in not letting Mahomes just stand back there and sling it. This also leaves multiple defenders in the area Portlands best players do their work, the intermediate part of the field.

Darius Leonard blitzes- In addition to our robbers performing their usual task, we'll have them cover  for Darius Leonard on some well timed LB blitzes. Leonard has shown his ability to get the QB this year with 6 sacks already, and we think with how much attention our defensive line should get from Portland today, Leonard is going to be overlooked and have a huge impact.

Portland Horned Owls

Motivation:

• Prove Lamar Jackson is nothing more than a WR  RB playing QB, Don't give the Jizz the no.1 pick.

Portland Offensive Gameplan:

• Get the run game going early in the 1st half so we let Mahomes open up the passing game in the second half, get our RBs involved in both facets of the game and force Camden to focus on them, Get the ball into the hands of our playmakers, attack Camden.

The Passing Game: 

• Mahomes has established himself as a top 5 QB in the NFL so we feel he can more or less do anything asked of him, Mahomes will be be allowed to audible and adjust plays as he sees fit and we'll focus on getting deep against a Camden secondary that lacks the range in the back seven to defend our weapons.
  • Camden's pass rush featuring Chandler Jones and Yannick is pretty solid, however we feel our o-line is up to the task of keeping Mahomes protected. If we can't get anything going deep we'll attack the middle of the field specifically targeting Camden's LBs in coverage given Camden's backup LBs rarely see the field and will be gassed given they barely rotate. Davante Adams will be our no.1 WR and will be featured heavily, he should easily get 100+ yards in this game even if he matches up with Ward.
  • Boyd will be our slot WR and he'll see quite a few targets this week, he'll play outside in 2 WR sets and in the slot in 3 wide. In 3 and 4 WR sets Sanu will be the no.3 and Ross will be the no.4, we'll take a few deep shots to Boyd+Adams to try and take advantage of their big play ability along with trying to use Ross deep.
  • Austin Hooper will get the nod at TE and will be a do it all TE but he'll mostly be limited to being a check down option for Mahomes and a blocker when needed, he'll get a bunch of targets since we feel he's a mismatch for Camden's LBs and is finally coming into his own this season after being a 5-50-1 guy for most of his career. Austin Hooper will be used a decent amount in this game as he'll be tasked with helping as a blocker and being a checkdown option.
  • We'll feature our RBs in the passing game a bit to keep Camden guessing, Gus the Bus will be our no.1 RB and we'll mix in the others a decent amount to see who gets the hot hand.

The Running Game:

• LeSean McCoy and the other RBs will split carries evenly until a hot hand establishes themselves and then we will roll with them for the majority of the game. 

The Blocking:

• In case of injuries, Beachum will play LT/RT, Jones will play C/G. We'll also leave a RB/TE in to pass protect or give extra attention/blocking to a pass rusher if someone proves to be a problem, most likely we'll slide extra protection to Jones's side.

TDLR;

• Control the LOS, Beat Camden deep, Attack their LBs, Make plays when needed, Finish in the redzone.

Portland Defensive Gameplan:

• Stop the run, control the LOS, don't fall for the read option.

Pass Coverage: 

• We'll be playing man coverage on 60% of the snaps with a decent amount of blitzes, Trufant will be the no.1 CB, Jimmy Smith will man the no.2 CB spot and should be able to handle whoever he is assigned to cover on the play despite what his play has indicated his name value should make up for the fact he's been terrible this year. If a WR goes into the slot the CB/Defender assigned to cover them will follow them into the slot, Brandon Carr otherwise will be the no.3 CB/Slot CB as well as cover the no.2 WR in the redzone and on 3rd downs. Camden's WRs are nothing to be feared after trading their top player for some assets, all that's left is Dede Westbrook and he's inconistent at best.
  • Camden's passing offense isn't terrible with their TEs and RBs who are all solid passcatchers but their WRs are hot garbage.
  • Glover Quinn will be tasked with adjusting the pass coverage as needed, I'd expect my front seven should be able to put pressure on Jackson and control the LOS.
  • Telvin Smith will be the signal caller on defense and he'll make adjustments if Camden tries something not outlined in the gameplan.  Orakpo+Smith will be able to get after Jackson along with Barrett rotating in, Short+Jones should be able to keep Camden's inside running game in check and Pierce will rotate in with Jones on running downs/goaline situations.
  • Telvin Smith will make adjustments as the signal caller on defense as needed, we'll make sure to give equal attention to their running game and Jackson aren't a mismatch in the passing game so we'll just do the minimum to cover them.
  • Telvin Smith will spy on Lamar Jackson as needed given his threat in the running game.

Run Defense: 

• Camden has 2 RBs, 1 is a talented but injury prone rookie the other is averaging 3.4 YPC. Their running game isn't great with medicore blocking, but Jackson adds a layer that allows them to heavy RPO and we'll be ready for it.
  • Za'Darius Smith stepped up in a huge way 7 weeks ago with 3 sacks, he has earned a starting job opposite Orakpo and has already set/tied a career high in sacks, he'll be a big help in the run game and in getting after the QB.
  • We're defending the run in this game, if Camden beats us via the air then so be it. 

TLDR;  Do it.

2 hours ago, Jlash said:

The competitiveness, yes. The pettiness levels are shocking.

I'm all for me any football related reason you want to to put in even if I disagree with them.  Saying a plan is similar from the previous weeks so vote other team, well that's brings out the petty.  Yes I attack other people's game plans and individuals players cause you know, that's what you're supposed to do and point out 

Sorry not sorry 

The more I look at the Portland receiving weapons after Adams, the less impressed I am.  I think a very stout D of Camden is able to essentially smother them.  And I don't know if I trust the front 4 of Portland to get the job done, even though their back 7 is quite good.  

I actually think I am going Camden in a low-scoring game that they grind out.

23 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

The more I look at the Portland receiving weapons after Adams, the less impressed I am.  I think a very stout D of Camden is able to essentially smother them.  And I don't know if I trust the front 4 of Portland to get the job done, even though their back 7 is quite good.  

I actually think I am going Camden in a low-scoring game that they grind out.

My weapons aren't great but they're better than the no.2 WR for the bronco and the no.4 WR for the Jags as my starters, not to mention a RB is playing WR.

13 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

My weapons aren't great but they're better than the no.2 WR for the bronco and the no.4 WR for the Jags as my starters, not to mention a RB is playing WR.

I think the weapons are largely comparable and I think Camden would limit yours more.  Also, I dont entirely mind Duke in the slot as he is very much a receiving threat and does that IRL.

38 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think the weapons are largely comparable and I think Camden would limit yours more.  Also, I dont entirely mind Duke in the slot as he is very much a receiving threat and does that IRL.

I mean they're comparable in the sense Camden's best pass catcher is their TE, but even so that's a moot point given who is throwing the ball. 

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

I think you've said this before and I've let it go, but Westbrook plays more snaps than any of the other Jags WR's most weeks, has the most receiving TD's and he's 4 yards from the player with the most receiving yards. The problem is the team he plays for. 

22 minutes ago, Jlash said:

I think you've said this before and I've let it go, but Westbrook plays more snaps than any of the other Jags WR's most weeks, has the most receiving TD's and he's 4 yards from the player with the most receiving yards. The problem is the team he plays for. 

Fine I'll admit he's the Jags no.2 WR in terms of snaps, but the dude hasn't eclipsed 50 yards receiving since early October. Either way he's your no.2 WR and while Sutton has been functional he's nowhere near being a BDL no.2 WR let alone a no.1. 

Mahomes would make a lot more plays in this game than Jackson through the passing game, Jackson no doubt gets 50+ yards or so but he's not scoring more than 17.

Camden's OL inst looking great but Portland's DL might be worst in the league.

On the other hand Camden DL has a day out against Portland's OL.

Portland's back 7 is good but I'm not sure about blitzing so much. Miss Lamar and he's a td threat. Just do what the Pats did vs Tebow... rush 4, safety qb spy and 6 back. 

Camden 16-10

Archived