3/4 Through Mock Offseason

WindyCity

Think about it.

Browns and Titans had more draft capital in recent years than any team in history (Likely - I didn't look it up).  A lot anyway.

Who did Browns add of note to roster last 2 years with all that?:

Mayfield

Ward

Chubb

Callaway

Garrett

Peppers

Njocku

Ogunjobi

Brantley

FA Landry

Not bad, some real talented guys, but consider that was after trading top picks and finishing dead last.  Historic amount of high picks and cap room.  

Bears added of note in last 2 years without same advantages:

R. Smith

Daniels

Miller

Nichols

Toliver

Trubisky

Jackson

Cohen

FA Robinson

FA Gabriel

FA Burton

FA Prince A.

Trade Khalil Mack

I would say Bears added more talent to the roster than the Browns in last 2 years with all those high end picks and cap room.

2017 was a bad FA year for Bears btw.  Wow.  Aside from Prince there some stinkers.  Overall good job by Pace though.

Put some them side by side for a better view:

Trubisky  - Mayfield 

Mack  - Garrett/Ogunjobi

Jackson - Peppers

Cohen - Chubb

Miller/Robinson/Gabriel - Callaway/Landry

Burton - Njocku

Nichols - Brantley

Prince/Tolliver - Ward

Smith - no one

2019 $173,978,886 $190,000,000 $16,021,114

Source: Over the Cap

Cut:                              Saving:               Dead:

Kyle Long                   5.5m.                   3M

Sims                            6m                       333k

Acho                           2.125m              250k

Sowell                      1.5m                       300k

Bullard                      On the bubble.  

2019 $158,853,886 $190,000,000 $31,146,114

I would cut Long.  I would have cut or traded him years ago and I also would have never given him a big extension.  I don't know that Bears will do it, they seem to be sentimental about him.  Good player when healthy, but rarely healthy.  I am guessing he may stick around another year, but I would cut him rather than watch him rehab all off season, sit out camp so there is no continuity or communication reps and then get hurt 6 games in again.  

Resign Massie and Callahan for whatever market is.  Say 14 million hit for 2019.

Note:  I'm not sure Tolliver isn't one of your best 3 corners or if he isn't capable of playing safety or if he may not surpass Prince or Callahan next year.  Guy is talented. That may factor into resigning Callahan.  That and market for Callahan and Amos.  If both are expensive they may both go, if both are reasonable they may both stay.  

2 million for draft picks.

Leaves 15 million to play with.

FAs:

G - Witzman 1 million.  (Maybe not since he sucked last game).

TE - Depth at Big Y behind Shaheen.  CJ Uzomah Bengals.  6-6 270 1 million.

Needs still:

OT depth.

RB that fits system.

SS if you don't resign Amos.

NG depth.  

Punter

Better Guard - I say draft a d lineman and convert him (they won't do this).   

Interesting thoughts outside of this:  

Leveon Bell on a 1 year 13.5 million dollar deal or 2 year 26 million.  Just an all or nothing Rams go for the SB in 2019, 2020 move.  Not saying I am in favor of that.  Just an interesting thought.  Kind of crazy move Pace has been making lately.  

Kareem Hunt who is on exempt list and being investigated for 2 other violent incidents both against men.  You might not get him until 1/2 way through 2019, but you know he is perfect fit and knows the system.  What is market for him is the big question.  5 million a year with a bunch of off field team protections?  Something like that I guess.  4 year 20 million dollar deal. 

Bears could take a flyer on oft injured former first round pick G Josh Garnett with a trade for a player or a late round pick.  SF would probably be happy to dump the salary.  Chances are the guy is a bust, has been so far, but he was a legit first round talent coming out of school.  May catch lightening in a bottle at a need position.  Maybe trade Howard and a 6th or 7th for Garnett and a 3rd, 4th or 5th?  

Draft picks:

Good players.  

20 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

With limited draft picks, it's not wise for the Bears to cut a lot of players under contract and especially not starters.

I agree with the starters part, but cutting Sims has zero negative aspects and could be 2-3 cheap depth players' contracts.

If it is only a 6th or a 7th then I keep Howard. His contract is so cheap he will not hurt us to have and if our run blocking would be improved (which can't be too big of an issue since overall it has been trash this season) then he might be able to get rolling.

Archived