2019 Head Coach carousel

jetskid007

Mike McCarthy scares me just as much as someone with no experience for the fact that his play calling has gotten bland, he hasn’t adjusted, he’s ultra conservative and  basically should have had a ton more success than he’s had. I think we will be extremely disappointed with his results if we hire him and will feel like we still have Todd Bowles. I think I’m officially on the Matt Rhule or Kliff Kingsbury train. At least neither of these guys are just hot coordinators with no head coaching experience. 

9 minutes ago, KBS756 said:

I don’t think McCarthy is that great a lotta offense for them is Aaron Rodgers making something out of nothing by directing traffic and avoiding the rush. Maybe he helped develop him but his offense isn’t very original or innovative.

He absolutely has a hand in what Rodgers has become. That cant get pushed to the side. Making Darnold a franchise QB is hands down the most important thing this franchise needs. And he did that with one of the most talented QBs of all time. Lets not forget that its not like Rodgers was this hands down franchise QB. It took work to get him to that and McCarthy deserves some credit for that. Where as guys like KK and Munken have a track record with QBs... its not proven at the NFL level, and that's the risk factor with both of them. They could be the next McVay, or could be the next Chip Kelly. Where with McCarthy the risk is minimal and he answers the developing Darnold question as well.

4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Mike McCarthy scares me just as much as someone with no experience for the fact that his play calling has gotten bland, he hasn’t adjusted, he’s ultra conservative and  basically should have had a ton more success than he’s had. I think we will be extremely disappointed with his results if we hire him and will feel like we still have Todd Bowles. I think I’m officially on the Matt Rhule or Kliff Kingsbury train. At least neither of these guys are just hot coordinators with no head coaching experience. 

Here’s my point though: the Jets definitely brought this up because it was a consistent theme with him among the masses. If the Jets didn’t make innovation a point of contention that’s on us. 

I think McCarthy will open it up. Change of scenary does that to coaches. The scheme is sound, just needs to be more progressive with his game plans.

What attracts me to MM more than anything is the fundamental aspect- he’s proven that he can build a winning foundation, oversee talent development (keep in mind this team wasn’t a free agent player until his final year), and developed of one of the greatest QBs in NFL history. Also keep in mind, Rodgers was much like Darnold as a young QB- raw, unorthodox style, but a playmaker with an “it” factor. Rodgers arm is clearly stronger, but how they operate from the waist down is very similar. 

Maybe MM won’t be a 10 year coach for us. Maybe he’ll get us to the playoffs and come up short, which leads to a change to a young innovator much like the Packers did now- but we need someone who can catapult us back into winning ways. I trust McCarthy to do that more than anyone.

16 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It’s sounding like Kliff Kingsbury will be Arizona’s head coach unless we offer him the job. I don’t expect us to, but you never know

I do think he's one of our top choices, but I think we love McCarthy and will want an answer from him to decide if we want to offer KK something. Apparently KK prefers us to Arizona bc of Darnold. So if we make an offer I think he chooses us. I just don't think we make him an offer.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I do think he's one of our top choices, but I think we love McCarthy and will want an answer from him to decide if we want to offer KK something. Apparently KK prefers us to Arizona bc of Darnold. So if we make an offer I think he chooses us. I just don't think we make him an offer.

I think McCarthy is waiting for an answer from us. We are the only team he has interviewed with. 

13 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Also it has become clear that the Jets probably did in fact interview Rhule, but have agreed not to announce do to the delicacy of recruiting season. Kliff has interviewed, but we did not announce.

As you said earlier, the jets are doing this right, they wont jump the gun and hire a coach without completing all interviews. I think they may have a favorite at this point, but they want to look at all options. 

One thing to note, the Johnsons seem to have a soft spot for NY/NJ natives, which Macc and Bowles both are, I remember woody saying over and over again in the introductory press conference how much he liked that about them. Rhule is a NY native, so I wonder if that gives him a slight edge. 

It feels good knowing that coaches want our job. I don’t know what to expect: an announcement can come at any point unless the Jets decide to do round 2s or interview more candidates. 

The Packers completed their final interview (Monken) and then it became known who they intended to hire. I’m hoping we do the same. Our job will result in a domino effect for the coaching carousel. 

Albert Breer saying the following:

• Writing is on the wall and he expects Kingsbury to be Arizona's next head coach. 
  • Jets search still wide open, but thinks it will be McCarthy, Rhule, or Gase. 
  • Said Mike Evans to the Jets is possible 

48 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

It feels good knowing that coaches want our job. I don’t know what to expect: an announcement can come at any point unless the Jets decide to do round 2s or interview more candidates. 

The Packers completed their final interview (Monken) and then it became known who they intended to hire. I’m hoping we do the same. Our job will result in a domino effect for the coaching carousel. 

Last year Rhule interviewed for the colts job and then pulled himself from the running. If reports are correct and we did interview Rhule, it seems he's legitimately interested or else he probably would have done the same thing. 

Archived