The greatness of Saquon Barkley

Gmen

Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know Saquon Barkley is the best running back in the league?

• Yes, that is pretty obvious
    • No, but I know now

41 minutes ago, VanS said:

I'm sure Redskins fans would've said the same thing if someone suggested RG3 would be outta the league in 5 years after his stellar rookie season.  Or Cowboys fans being told after 2016 Dak Prescott would be nothing more than a mediocre QB moving forward.

One season doesn't make a career.

Is that what Baker is doing, read option and relying on physical skills or a tremendous supporting cast?

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Per PFF, Nick Chubb is at 4th. Not bad all things considered. It turns out it's Derick Henry, which very much devalues it's merit.

How does Henry devalue its merit if Chubb being 4th is cool? Henry has more yards, more TD's, averages 5+ YPC, and I'm pretty sure he leads the league in yards after contact by a decent amount. Same can be said for Henry compared to Gordon, actually. 

On 12/15/2018 at 7:54 AM, CP3MVP said:

Of course it’s the wrong pick. You never take a back that high. If you don’t believe there a a franchise QB you trade down or take another position.

Exactly. I would of taken Quenton Nelson and than Nick Chubb in the 2nd RD. 

On 12/15/2018 at 8:30 PM, VanS said:

You can disagree and rank a whole bunch of mediocre QBs higher than him based on positional value.  I rate the player simply based on how dominant they are compared to their peers.

Aaron Donald and Saquon Barkley have separated themselves from the pack.  No other player is clearly the best at their position like those two.  

K Mack, baby!

On 12/14/2018 at 8:15 PM, 11sanchez11 said:

Based on what?

The fact that RBs don't matter relative to  big picture success no matter how great they are. The Giants are still a bad football  team regardless of how good Barkley is. Gurley, Kamara, Hunt, Bell, Elliott, Johnson and the best RB of this generation Adrian Peterson have a combined 0 SB rings.

You know who the best 3 RBs were on the last 3 super bowl winners? Corey Clement, James White and CJ Anderson. The last time the Giants won the Superbowl their RB was Ahmad Bradshaw.

Also, given how well other young RBs like Conner (3rd), Chubb (2nd) and Lindsay (UDFA) are doing at a cheaper cost for similar impact to their teama-- it just makes spending the #2 overall pick on a RB no matter how good look bad especially given the need for a QB.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

You know who the best 3 RBs were on the last 3 super bowl winners? Corey Clement, James White and CJ Anderson. The last time the Giants won the Superbowl their RB was Ahmad Bradshaw.

Browns fans talking about Super Bowls. xD

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

You keep on trying to make this about Cleveland. Nobody questions what Cleveland did at #1.

I think this is more about rookie of the year for Baker fans. I'm a gigantic Barkley homer (ask @LETSGOBROWNIES) but it can't be overstated what it takes to bring the Browns out of the basement. Baker is literally the only man on earth that has been able to do it. If we win out this year and don't even make the playoffs, they may erect a statue of him outside city hall.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Browns fans talking about Super Bowls. xD

Cheap shot.

Means AkronsWitness crushed it with ZERO SB comment.  AK great post, Q Nelson could be the next John Hannah add a RB in the 2nd and your team is much better off.

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Different strengths though. Dak nor RGIII had strengths that always work out long term like a grasp of the offense, arm strength, accuracy, command of the offense/huddle. To be fair, most rookie QBs don't so I get questioning any of them, but Baker has those things so only injury would stop him imo.

All I know is we've seen many QBs be phenomenal one year only to massively regress the next.  I never bought into the Mayfield hype before the draft.  Not buying into his apparent rookie success either.  Now he's looked better than I thought.  But Dak similarly looked way better than I thought he would be in 2016.  I started to question myself.  Then in 2017 and 2018 he regressed to the player I thought he would be.

I've learned from experience to not overreact to a rookie QB being either really good or really bad.  I'll stick with my pre-draft evaluation until he puts together several good or bad seasons before I change my opinion.  My pre-draft evaluation of Baker Mayfield was that he was another Rex Grossman.  We'll see if that comp pans out over the long term.

55 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is that what Baker is doing, read option and relying on physical skills or a tremendous supporting cast?

I think the Browns supporting cast is great.  I liked most of the players they've drafted the last 2 years.  Especially on offense.  Everyone knows how high I was on Antonio Callaway.   Nick Chubb was always gonna be a very good NFL RB.  I compared him to Jonathan Stewart coming out of college.  Jarvis Landry is a pro-bowl caliber WR.  David Njoku is incredibly talented and a TE I was high on before the 2017 draft.  And that o-line has been performing at a higher level than most anticipated after Joe Thomas.

Baker Mayfield has benefited from a really good supporting cast on offense. 

Archived