Let the Offseason Begin

jsthomp2007

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

According to spotrac, earlier today Denver had $23M in cap.  After the Keenum trade they went to $36M and it looks like by cutting Marshall they will move to about $40M.  

While it’s not a ridiculous number, Denver can now get decently aggressive in this FA class, which is also a bit concerning as this class sucks outside of safety.  I’d prefer them to still spend smartly on bargain deals, but there will likely be a couple guys signed now making an average annual salary of $10M plus, one of them may be Paradis, whom I don’t think deserves that type of contract, but I’ve read that most think he’ll become the highest paid center in NFL history this offseason....tells you how far OL play has fallen.  Paradis is a good center, but he isn’t even close to deserving of a contract that makes him the highest paid in the history of the game....hopefully Elway is smarter than that.

At some point we have to pony up some cash to maintain a decent OL, not just grab the FA of the moment for a one year contract. At $17M per year for the 9 guys we have under contract we're drastically undercommited to the OL. Just over half the league average is what we spend and only two teams spend less. 

If not Paradis then who? The reality is that OL salaries are catching up to the skill positions, (about time IMO). 

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

At some point we have to pony up some cash to maintain a decent OL, not just grab the FA of the moment for a one year contract. At $17M per year for the 9 guys we have under contract we're drastically undercommited to the OL. Just over half the league average is what we spend and only two teams spend less. 

If not Paradis then who? The reality is that OL salaries are catching up to the skill positions, (about time IMO). 

Paradis at potentially $11M annually is an awful deal.  Mitch Morse will probably be $3-4M cheaper and is a better pass protector on top of it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Really shocked anyone wanted Keenum in a trade.  A team could have simply waited for the Broncos to cut him.  But oh well...Elway has owned the Chesapeake Bay area since 1983.  

You just gave me Rahim Moore PTSD

29 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Really shocked anyone wanted Keenum in a trade.  A team could have simply waited for the Broncos to cut him.  But oh well...Elway has owned the Chesapeake Bay area since 1983.  

Because Keenum salary is 50% for Denver. If denver cut him ,no one sign him less than 7m/y with guarantee.

It's a great trade for both team. Denver jump 13m in cap space , Redskins have a QB for 2019 at great bargain (3/4m save)

12 hours ago, germ-x said:

Just read that Keenum would have cost Denver $10M in dead cap for next year, trading him now costs Denver only $3M.  Elway saved $7M in that deal going toward next years salary cap, while it won’t get recognized as it should, that was one heck of a move. 

Probably shouldn't give tooooo much credit to John for dumping the really bad contract he gave out, but it definitely seems like best case scenario in this situation. 

• Like 4

On 1/3/2019 at 1:15 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

Lol. Where did you hear that from? 

Denver radio’s version of Skip Bayless, who goes by “D-Mac,” has been floating that idea for years now. He’s just a pot-stirrer whose constantly trying to say things to get people riled up. He’s a joke and so is this “rumor.” 

This is a bit of crazy talk.  However in 2019, for a future 2020 #1, I would be listening.  Could turn in to Trevor Lawrence, as much of a pie in the sky thought as that is.....

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/8/18253989/free-agency-top-10-offensive-players-nick-foles-leveon-bell

Robert Mays has Paradis on his list here - guessing around the 11m per year that has been discussed in here. I'd be sad to see Paradis go, but it does seem like a position the Broncos have always had success drafting - doesn't seem like McGovern is great, though. 

12 hours ago, germ-x said:

According to spotrac, earlier today Denver had $23M in cap.  After the Keenum trade they went to $36M and it looks like by cutting Marshall they will move to about $40M.  

While it’s not a ridiculous number, Denver can now get decently aggressive in this FA class, which is also a bit concerning as this class sucks outside of safety.  I’d prefer them to still spend smartly on bargain deals, but there will likely be a couple guys signed now making an average annual salary of $10M plus, one of them may be Paradis, whom I don’t think deserves that type of contract, but I’ve read that most think he’ll become the highest paid center in NFL history this offseason....tells you how far OL play has fallen.  Paradis is a good center, but he isn’t even close to deserving of a contract that makes him the highest paid in the history of the game....hopefully Elway is smarter than that.

Outside of Safety is right, but there are three great players at ILB ( and a a position of need) that are huge if we can land one: CJ Mosley, Kwon Alexander (looks like he is gonna be back from the ACL) and Jordan Hicks are all premium players and big upgrades.  I think spending money at this position is more important than S given the depth at the position.

I think if we could pull off these three players we go in to the draft and the rest of Free Agency with a lot of options to fill out the roster:

CJ Mosley ILBeast

Adrain Amos FS

Pier Desir CB or a longer shot but a Fangio guy in Bryce Callahan.

Use the rest on OL with Ja'Wuan James or DJ Fluker and Tight End with Jesse James or Tyler Eifert.

I understand that with the people we need to resign, all of these players are not likely.  But a wish list has to have a starting point.

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Desperation, in this case, is a wonderful thing.

It is a sad state of affairs when anytime i see a veteran cut from another team I think to myself that they would be an upgrade for us. Some intriguing names should be popping up today, hope to see many many OL additions to the FA pool.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

So who are the targets everyone expects Elway to go after?

I think Elway will really go after one of Landon Collins or Earl Thomas at S

Mayve Juwuan James?

I don't think its worth the money for either of these guys.  Although I would love it.  I think the big splash should be CJ Mosley and then go a tier down to Adrian Amos who can QB the defense as he was excellent under Fangio in Chicago.  James would be great, and a huge need, but dude is gonna get over paid and I don't think Elway will bite.  He is on my list, but just having trouble with the math for CJ and J'wuan.  Which contradicts my last post.

8 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

It is a sad state of affairs when anytime i see a veteran cut from another team I think to myself that they would be an upgrade for us. Some intriguing names should be popping up today, hope to see many many OL additions to the FA pool.

I always look forward to the DeMarcus Ware guys who appear later in the process.  It's a risk and also a great example of what being patient can reward you with.  I think John Lynch came to us that way to.

Our best Free Agency year ever was the Year we were aggressive with Taib, TJ, and Welker and then patient to end up with Ware.  There is an argument for that this year.