Time to COMPLETE the Organizational PURGE ...

TheOnlyThing

A "complete purge" isnt required - nor will one occur.

The 2018 roster represented a change of over 50% from the previous one and that process will continue as warranted by performance or contract.

Coaching staff changes will take place because of the new HC - who's hands will be free to retain or move on from current coaches.

As for the FO, I hope we dont suffer any losses in the off season, but make good "adds." You can never have enough qualified people running things IMO.  

1 hour ago, Leader said:

The 2018 roster represented a change of over 50% from the previous one and that process will continue as warranted by performance or contract.

Coaching staff changes will take place because of the new HC - who's hands will be free to retain or move on from current coaches.

As for the FO, I hope we dont suffer any losses in the off season, but make good "adds." You can never have enough qualified people running things IMO.  

A COMPLETE PURGE is not required and I certainly never advocated for one.

However, the undeniable organization-wide purge that began last season has not yet been completed and it should be ASAP. 

The continued purging of the coaching staff looks like it will be coming soon as any chance Joe Philbin would get the job should have died after yesterday's loss. I think, and certainly hope, you are correct, that the new coach will not be required to retain any of the existing coaches -- even though I personally like Pettine.

But there remain a few holdouts when it comes to turning the page from the past and starting a new chapter in Green Bay.

To take but one example, Gute needs to ignore Rodgers openly advocating for his good friend Cobb to return in 2019. In fact, Cobb's performance, 3 catches in 7 targets for 30 yards, with another big drop capped off with yet another injury, against the Bears yesterday is just the latest example of why Cobb and his $10M a year salary should be done in GB.

I am confident Gute recognizes there has been too much complacency for too long in GB and will move swiftly to make the changes necessary for the Pack to once again compete for a SB.

I just want a younger and innovative head coach to come in and change the culture.  We need someone with a lot of enthusiasm and energy to light a fire under this program.  I'm hoping

Pettine can stay on .. I think given the lack of talent and injuries on that side of the ball he is doing a nice job.  If he had a healthy and talented bunch to work with he's get top 5-0 performance for sure. 

Special teams has been weak for 15 years in GB .. maybe it's time to finally get someone with a proven track record there.  

I'd gut the training staff.  Maybe we are just unlucky with injury and it's no fault of the current staff .. either way .. we need to try and acquire some cutting edge guys and hope it leads to better in GB.

As for the players .. I think Gute is going to turn a large part of the roster over, but some of the vets like Cobb and Matthews could be brought back under the right circumstances (less money, lesser roles).  Bulaga ... I probably keep that guy.  Might try to rework the deal again, but it's hard to find quality tackles and he's good when healthy.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Totally agree.  Ted's overall lack of useful draft picks the past few years crippled this team.  Could it be that all the top management/scouts leaving the Packer organization to other Nfl teams contribute to the problem of not enough talent?  I do think that they have some good people in scouting and drafting but Ted didn't listen to/ignored the scouting reports on draftable players as well as free agents.

31 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

A COMPLETE PURGE is not required and I certainly never advocated for one.

However, the undeniable organization-wide purge that began last season has not yet been completed and it should be ASAP. 

The continued purging of the coaching staff looks like it will be coming soon as any chance Joe Philbin would get the job should have died after yesterday's loss. I think, and certainly hope, you are correct, that the new coach will not be required to retain any of the existing coaches -- even though I personally like Pettine.

But there remain a few holdouts when it comes to turning the page from the past and starting a new chapter in Green Bay.

To take but one example, Gute needs to ignore Rodgers openly advocating for his good friend Cobb to return in 2019. In fact, Cobb's performance, 3 catches in 7 targets for 30 yards, with another big drop capped off with yet another injury, against the Bears yesterday is just the latest example of why Cobb and his $10M a year salary should be done in GB.

I am confident Gute recognizes there has been too much complacency for too long in GB and will move swiftly to make the changes necessary for the Pack to once again compete for a SB.

Thats fine. I was just addressing the title of the thread.
A completed purge is the same as a complete purge IMO. The difference is too existential for a football discussion forum.

As noted Gute has already been turning over players at a rapid pace. I dont expect that process to end. What if any accommodation he reaches with Cobb - I'm confident will be on favorable terms for the team. I like Cobb as a player. Think he's clutch - an AR favorite - and I dont get into comparing stats with salary. Its not my money.
He's had a complete down 2018 - so I'm figuring his market will be tight.

18 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Special teams has been weak for 15 years in GB .. maybe it's time to finally get someone with a proven track record there.

I wont get into the years involved - the yes, STs have been less than stellar.

Here's one for ya though......
You want to know the one lone bright spot in quite some time? Davis.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Everybody loves to diss and piss on the guy - but he actually was producing on the field. Too funny.

Here's the deal - and/or - a big part of the problem. We're a young team - then - when we get our annual dose of injuries - we're fielding a bunch of young or unaccomplished guys. Look at how many "Who's starting for us on defense?" questions we had just yesterday. Well that all trickles down to STs.

Has Slocum or Zook been lights out as ST coaches? Cant say that they have given production on the field. Will some new coach be able to "light a fire" under our ST crew?
Well, one can hope eh?

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Going to be very interesting to see who survives the upcoming purge.

The team with Rodgers was nothing more than mediocre in 2018.

The team without Rodgers was brutal in 2018 and 2017.

Truthfully .. We do need major change. Need an entirely new culture .. New training staff .. Lots of new players.  This current roster just isn't good enough.  There are only a couple coaches i think are actually good coaches (pettine, campen, whitt, and maybe sirmons).  Even at that I wouldn't be too miffed if none of them are back.  

29 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Going to be very interesting to see who survives the upcoming purge.

The team with Rodgers was nothing more than mediocre in 2018.

The team without Rodgers was brutal in 2018 and 2017.

FWIW:

Packers with Rodgers starting in 2018: 6-9-1 (6.5 wins)

Packers with Hundley starting in 2017: 3-6-0 (Extrapolates out to 5.333 wins)

Either Rodgers is only worth one game more than Hundley or this roster is way worse in Gute's first year.

Archived