2018 draft thread - still sucking a decade later

Its A Sabotage

19 hours ago, Jlash said:

And why is it that Rosen has a bad attitude all of the sudden? The kid spoke out honestly about how college athletes get used (and they do) and now he's a bad guy?

Yeah.  I must've missed something on this.  'Cause i thought he was being maybe a bit more candid and honest than most NFL QBs are coached to be, but hardly anything out of line at all.  It seemed to me like basically a more eloquently voiced critique of how there are Cardale Jones' out there who "didn't come here to play school" at a lot of top programs.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:41 PM, Jags said:

You have to consider when the rush is on and you don't want to take the sacks/ lose yards, so the QB throws it to where no one can get it. 

Throwing the ball away is fine.  But how many of those 31% of passes over 10 yards were "throwing it away"?  Especially when like a third of that was to opponent only according to that charting?  That's not good throwaways imo.

I haven't watched all Rosen's games and charted them all in detail.  But general impression from what i have watched says that stat isn't predicated entirely on him making smart throwaways.

And even if it was...It's college ball.  It's not like the coverage is consistently amazing and there are frequently no remotely open receivers.  It's fine to have a QB who will throw it away under pressure with nobody open and no play to make.  But you don't want a guy who is too content to just toss it away to nobody and burn a down if the window isn't just right or the read isn't there right away.  That's like early gunshy Alex Smith, and the reason the Niners moved on from him.  Guy often wouldn't pull the trigger on a trickier deep passes to save his life.

I just come away from watching Rosen with overwhelming Andy Dalton vibes.  Which would be fine if that's the outcome.  You could do worse.  But you could also do a lot better.  And also, there's zero guarantee he even becomes an Andy Dalton at the NFL level.  That's mostly what he looks like at the college level to me.  NFL is a bigtime step up.

6 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Fwiw. Article says mid day 2 so late 2 early 3. 

Yeah.  Day 2 sounds about right for where i'd expect Mayfield to go at this point, but i wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher either.

I'd actually wager more toward the higher-end of 2nd though.  When it comes to QBs, if a team likes a guy and thinks they can maybe be "The Guy", they don't tend to goof around waiting to see just how late they can get the player.  They just go up and get them.

And Baker Mayfield seems like the sort of QB that at least someone is going to convince themselves can be their guy.  If they can overlook the size and other stuff, they're going to fall in love with his "competitiveness", personality, numbers and wins.

It's true of any position, but especially true of QBs:  "It only takes one".  Just one GM out of 32 who adores a guy, and they can easily go earlier than "projected" or "expected".

Like, i'm sure there was at least "One NFL General Manager" who would tell Matt Miller Blake Bortles was a Day 2 player...but that's obviously not where he ended up going.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Day 2 sounds about right for where i'd expect Mayfield to go at this point, but i wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher either.

I'd actually wager more toward the higher-end of 2nd though.  When it comes to QBs, if a team likes a guy and thinks they can maybe be "The Guy", they don't tend to goof around waiting to see just how late they can get the player.  They just go up and get them.

And Baker Mayfield seems like the sort of QB that at least someone is going to convince themselves can be their guy.  If they can overlook the size and other stuff, they're going to fall in love with his "competitiveness", personality, numbers and wins.

It's true of any position, but especially true of QBs:  "It only takes one".  Just one GM out of 32 who adores a guy, and they can easily go earlier than "projected" or "expected".

Like, i'm sure there was at least "One NFL General Manager" who would tell Matt Miller Blake Bortles was a Day 2 player...but that's obviously not where he ended up going.

Im sure theres at least 1 gm who will grade Josh Allen as a top 15 player. 

Id be perfectly content picking Baker at pick 32 ;)

35 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Im sure theres at least 1 gm who will grade Josh Allen as a top 15 player. 

Id be perfectly content picking Baker at pick 32 ;)

Maybe.  Wouldn't surprise me at all.  But he's also done himself no big favours this year.  Tools for days, and not much to show for them can only carry a guy's stock so far, if they appear to stagnate/regress like Allen has.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Maybe.  Wouldn't surprise me at all.  But he's also done himself no big favours this year.  Tools for days, and not much to show for them can only carry a guy's stock so far, if they appear to stagnate/regress like Allen has.

Allen at least has some excuses with losing his te, wr, rb, c.  But most of Josh Allens hype last year came from potential then actual good play. 

Archived