Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

20 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

It could have been Gruden’s fault…. I could see him getting excited to talk football and yelling out who he really does love like an idiot.  But then again, we did let go of our scouts a few days before the draft in 2019.  Sent them all home.  And it was said there were concerns about leaks and not having everyone’s trust.  That was very very odd.  That did happen in 2019 and we didn’t trade back for Ruggs in 2020, but maybe the culprit was not found and the issues continued.

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-send-scouts-home-before-draft-fearing-leaks-0ap3000001027128

in 2019 we reached for Ferrell.  And rumor was we couldn’t get a trade down partner.  It’s an unpopular opinion but I think Ferrell was going to go in the 9-16 range.  It very very well could have been a scout who leaked Ferrell, maybe because he thought it was a ridiculous pick or maybe he was snitching to get future employment.  Did any of our scouts end up leaving and going to any other team after that draft?

dude would have been a bust even in that range. That was a horrible pick. I think Ferrell is a miscast in a 4-3. He's a big anchor type, like a 3-4 end

Edited by Humble_Beast

13 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

dude would have been a bust even in that range. That was a horrible pick. I think Ferrell is a miscast in a 4-3. He's a big anchor type, like a 3-4 end

I’m not contending he wouldn’t have been over drafted if he went 9-16.

you can’t forget the guy was a top 5 pick all the way up until the combine.  

the guys still only 24 years old.  It’s unfortunate he just didn’t fit Bradley’s scheme and he got shelved.  I think he could have a pretty good year with Graham.  
It couldn’t surprise me at all to see him end up with 6.0 sacks if he plays 500-600 reps as the 3rd DE.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I’m not contending he wouldn’t have been over drafted if he went 9-16.

you can’t forget the guy was a top 5 pick all the way up until the combine.  

the guys still only 24 years old.  It’s unfortunate he just didn’t fit Bradley’s scheme and he got shelved.  I think he could have a pretty good year with Graham.  
It couldn’t surprise me at all to see him end up with 6.0 sacks if he plays 500-600 reps as the 3rd DE.

he's actually one of my guys I'm interested to see the year with new coaches. also on my watch list

• Leatherwood
  • Ferrell
  • Edwards
  • Jacobs
  • Deablo
  • Moreau

24 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

he's actually one of my guys I'm interested to see the year with new coaches. also on my watch list

• Leatherwood
  • Ferrell
  • Edwards
  • Jacobs
  • Deablo
  • Moreau

That’s essentially the list I, and I feel most people would have.  
I think leatherwood moves to G, preferably LG, and he a really good season.  I think he’a going to make a lot of people look silly for what they’ve said.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:55 PM, jimkelly02 said:

The Tampa trade offer that we turned down became news just after the draft.  I feel like I remember Mayock even semi-acknowledging it In an interview.  

To be honest a 4th, 6th, and moving from #80/81 to #77 really isn’t that much to turn down.  I was THE first one to get on Mayock for his inability to trade back but that one I can ignore.  

But it absolutely is another example in a long line of mistakes, missed opportunities, and inefficiencies in drafting by Mayock+ Gruden.  I believe they just didn’t understand the “process” like all the other GMs do on a fundamental/philosophy level.

I’d love to read that article btw.  Do you have a link or remember where you saw it?

Edit:  I just want to add….

It seems like Mayock didn’t have the relationships, and that could be for many reasons, to be able to call up a team and feel them out.  He could have called up SF and got with a good idea of certainty who they wanted to take, if he played it right.  It’s almost like he was sitting there thinking “Well…. I did promise Gruden I’d take Ruggs and I can’t go back on that” or “I did promise Cable I’d take Leatherwood”.  That’s what happens when you try and satisfy a coach like Gruden or even worse a position coach.  

I agree it wasn’t a “haul” of picks, just a shame that they apparently had no poker face and no misdirection ability. If they did to trade 2 spots back, get “your guy” and a cpl extra picks is more possible/likely. And who knows how those extra picks (and the move up in the 3rd could’ve worked out) however , with the way that 2020 draft turned out for us?......prolly wouldn’t been too flippin good anyways. Definitely mayocks worst draft of the 3, and it’s not even close. SMH 

13 minutes ago, roi34 said:

lol Leatherwood can be ok at G it seems, hopefully he becomes top 12 guard, and cuts flags in half. 

Yeah he's just too athletic not to get better. I also think the reason Parker sucks is because he's soft not ability. I have never seen him once look like he was aggressively looking to deliver a blow

51 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Yeah he's just too athletic not to get better. I also think the reason Parker sucks is because he's soft not ability. I have never seen him once look like he was aggressively looking to deliver a blow

That could be an issue but I think one reason why you see that is he is still thinking through his movements on the right side.

4 hours ago, roi34 said:

lol Leatherwood can be ok at G it seems, hopefully he becomes top 12 guard, and cuts flags in half. 

He was garbage at G lol but just like Parker will have a solid game every once in a while

Edited by NCOUGHMAN

4 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Parker took leatherwoods job and leatherwood was a first rounder that’s never supposed to happen 

On 3/4/2022 at 10:25 AM, Devilshark69 said:

I agree it wasn’t a “haul” of picks, just a shame that they apparently had no poker face and no misdirection ability. If they did to trade 2 spots back, get “your guy” and a cpl extra picks is more possible/likely. And who knows how those extra picks (and the move up in the 3rd could’ve worked out) however , with the way that 2020 draft turned out for us?......prolly wouldn’t been too flippin good anyways. Definitely mayocks worst draft of the 3, and it’s not even close. SMH 

I agree with you…. My point was really just that the trade back for Ruggs wasn’t that egregious as the many other times Mayock over drafted.  I think it was last year that I totaled it up and I forget what it was off the top of my head but it was painful to think about.

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Parker took leatherwoods job and leatherwood was a first rounder that’s never supposed to happen 

That’s not exactly how that happened.  If Someone takes your job you don’t have a job.  Leatherwood still had a job, he started at RG.  

9 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

There’s no aggression with Parker.  I don’t think he’ll ever get better because he lacks the essential ability to be tough as an OLmen.