Where Does Nick Foles Go in 2019?

footbull3196

Which team does Nick Foles go to in 2019?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which team does Nick Foles go to in 2019?

So you have one game on the line and you have to take Brady or Romo, you are OK with Romo because clutch isn't a thing?

'Clutch means Nothing' ... brought to you by 'Wins are not a QB stat' dude! xD

Maybe you need pictures?

Clutch 

Related image

Not Clutch

barry-bonds1.jpg?w=420&h=316&crop=1

Staying calm and executing in a high pressure situation = clutch.

Freaking out and not executing in a high pressure situation = not clutch.

This isn’t that hard. It’s easy to tell who’s clutch and who isnt. It is definitely a real thing.

Call me crazy but I wish Howie would (quietly) test the market on Wentz this offseason.  I'm not saying trade him 100%, but see if a team is willing to do something stupid for him.

If I'm Howie I do this for a few reasons:

1. Because I still have Nick Foles and could lock him up if I wanted to. 

2. Wentz' injuries are starting to be a concern.

3. I know what I have in Foles inside this offense, and in theory, would be boosting the offensive even more by trading Wentz.

Granted, this scenario has about a 3% chance of actually coming to fruition, but I would entertain it. And it has nothing to do with "Foles being better than Wentz" because Wentz is the better talent - and younger - but the durability issues are there. 

In theory, say the NY Giants are willing to trade Barkley, a 1st and a 2nd for Wentz - would the Eagles be better off with Foles, Barkley and two 1sts to play with this offseason instead of Wentz and their own 1st?

How about if the Birds could trade Wentz for 3-4 first rounders and sign Bell to boost the offense with Foles?

If the Colts had a "backup" on their team who fit as well as Foles for them, wouldn't they have been better off trading Luck for a stack of 1st rounders, seeing the way injuries are taking their toll?  As a Birds fan I sure hope I'm wrong, but Wentz' injuries scare me to death.  He just seems like one of these guys who will breakdown when you need him most. 

7 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

Call me crazy but I wish Howie would (quietly) test the market on Wentz this offseason.  I'm not saying trade him 100%, but see if a team is willing to do something stupid for him.

If I'm Howie I do this for a few reasons:

1. Because I still have Nick Foles and could lock him up if I wanted to. 

2. Wentz' injuries are starting to be a concern.

3. I know what I have in Foles inside this offense, and in theory, would be boosting the offensive even more by trading Wentz.

Granted, this scenario has about a 3% chance of actually coming to fruition, but I would entertain it. And it has nothing to do with "Foles being better than Wentz" because Wentz is the better talent - and younger - but the durability issues are there. 

In theory, say the NY Giants are willing to trade Barkley, a 1st and a 2nd for Wentz - would the Eagles be better off with Foles, Barkley and two 1sts to play with this offseason instead of Wentz and their own 1st?

How about if the Birds could trade Wentz for 3-4 first rounders and sign Bell to boost the offense with Foles?

If the Colts had a "backup" on their team who fit as well as Foles for them, wouldn't they have been better off trading Luck for a stack of 1st rounders, seeing the way injuries are taking their toll?  As a Birds fan I sure hope I'm wrong, but Wentz' injuries scare me to death.  He just seems like one of these guys who will breakdown when you need him most. 

You really don't though... Foles had an even longer stretch, of even better play, in 2013 with Chip. Then, with the same pieces and same coach, he reverted to an average at best QB. Week 1 & 2 Nick Foles is at least just as likely the guy we'd get over a full season than weeks 15-17 Nick Foles IMO.

If I had faith that this play, (CC. SB, last 3 weeks) was sustainable, then I'd be all aboard the trade Wentz train even if he's younger and clearly more talented, but I don't buy it for a second, I've seen too much of Foles to think otherwise. Foles is an average at best QB who is just as capable of great outings as he is awful ones. He's worthy of being a starter in this league, evidently he's good enough to win a SB, but I think Wentz can be a top tier QB. Injuries have no doubt become a concern, but not enough that I wouldn't still gamble on him over Foles... even if the latter comes with 3 1st round picks, since those won't overcome the difference in having a top tier QB vs an average one.

23 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

You really don't though... Foles had an even longer stretch, of even better play, in 2013 with Chip. Then, with the same pieces and same coach, he reverted to an average at best QB. Week 1 & 2 Nick Foles is at least just as likely the guy we'd get over a full season than weeks 15-17 Nick Foles IMO.

If I had faith that this play, (CC. SB, last 3 weeks) was sustainable, then I'd be all aboard the trade Wentz train even if he's younger and clearly more talented, but I don't buy it for a second, I've seen too much of Foles to think otherwise. Foles is an average at best QB who is just as capable of great outings as he is awful ones. He's worthy of being a starter in this league, evidently he's good enough to win a SB, but I think Wentz can be a top tier QB. Injuries have no doubt become a concern, but not enough that I wouldn't still gamble on him over Foles... even if the latter comes with 3 1st round picks, since those won't overcome the difference in having a top tier QB vs an average one.

Beyond this, I don't know that locking up Foles long-term is quite as easily done as said.  The Eagles, at present, need to trim roughly $10m just to meet the expected cap for 2019; their top 13 earners in terms of cap-hits for 2019 all hit the ledger at $9m or more (relatively rare across the league).  #1 on that list is Nick Foles - and he only accounts for a little less than $2m in dead money if he's released or traded.  That said, if they keep their list of demands low (i.e. just try to make sure they keep him out of the NFC and send him only to AFC teams), they can likely still get a decent return on him in terms of compensation, as if Foles shows out again these playoffs, there will be a team willing to shoulder $20m/yr for him (for God's sake, someone paid a more-injured-than-not Sam Bradford $15m/yr and Case Keenum an $18m/yr AAV.  (I'm not sure how feasible it is, but I could see Foles as Option 1B if Option 1A is trading up into the Top 2 to get Haskins.)

More likely, though, I think that offer's going to come from Miami because Stephen Ross isn't patient and has demonstrated he doesn't have a problem throwing money at things if he's convinced himself it might improve his situation.  I'm more concerned, for the Phins' sake, that he's going to force the hand of Chris Grier to release guys that will hurt other units (even if they might not have achieved quite to the level fans might have liked last season) in order to create the space necessary to take on Foles.

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

You make a very solid point.  But I think I need to clarify what I meant by "boosting the offense more by trading Wentz."  I meant that assets we received in return for Wentz would immediately boost the offense.  Say the Giants sent the Eagles Barkley in return.  Then the Eagles instantly have one of the elite RB's in the entire league.  Barkley, plus the very nice WR corps and two awesome TE's give Foles some of the best weapons on the planet to play with.  

Even if Barkley wasn't part of the deal, the Eagles could take a stud with a team's 1st or try to sign Bell.

I guess I was saying, would the Eagles be better with:

Foles + Barkley / Bell / another stud weapon

or

Wentz?

All of that said, I don't disagree with your evaluation, but the injuries do scare me and I see no harm in Howie testing the waters to see if a team is willing to offer the Birds a Herschel Walker type of return in a trade.  

Honestly, how much better would the Eagles be over the next 4 years with Wentz over Foles, let alone the other talent they could bring in with the assets they could receive for Wentz?

I do understand that having a premier QB for a decade is what every franchise covets, but what if Wentz isn't nearly as durable as a Brady, Wilson or Brees?  He doesn't do the Eagles any good missing multiple weeks each season.  

Archived