Tom Savage formally named starting QB

ET80

23 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Let's be honest, Watson wasn't given a chance to win the job. Our O-Line and WR are terrible, we all agree on that, and Watson was playing with the 2nd team most of the pre season. 

Really it all boils down to BOB sucking at everything he does. He's created a tough situation for Watson because he's made QB changes 3 years straight and so if he gives Watson a shot it's already gonna come with crazy pressure because of that. 

This whole pre season seems to point towards a 4-12 season in which Watson is thrown to the wolves to be a season savior instead of a rookie QB with room to make rookie mistakes  

then BOB can go coach where he belongs at southwest Missouri state northeastern and we can bring in a different coach with a different system to begin the process of further ruining Watsons development 

If this is all about your bias against the most successful coach in Texans history, then run with it. Just call it for what it is. I'm not in love with O'Brien, but can't justify dropping a guy who has yet to have a losing season for a team that didn't have a winning season for half a decade.

Watson was a project QB coming out of college - spread QB with an amazing pedigree, but clear flaws that need to be worked out. They're going slow on this - given the fate of our last 1st round pick at QB, I'm not faulting this approach.

33 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

If this is all about your bias against the most successful coach in Texans history, then run with it. Just call it for what it is. I'm not in love with O'Brien, but can't justify dropping a guy who has yet to have a losing season for a team that didn't have a winning season for half a decade.

Watson was a project QB coming out of college - spread QB with an amazing pedigree, but clear flaws that need to be worked out. They're going slow on this - given the fate of our last 1st round pick at QB, I'm not faulting this approach.

We have had a great team for BOBs tenure and he's managed to make it underperform. 

57 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We have had a great team for BOBs tenure and he's managed to make it underperform. 

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Highest winning percentage in Texans history, tied for most playoff appearance in franchise history - but yeah, underperformed.

It's like you think 12-4 was a foregone conclusion with no QB, no run game, a WR to throw to and a defense that was good by association of the lack of defense everywhere else. This wasn't a Ravens 2000 defense, or a Tampa Bay 2001 defense (heck, wasn't a 2015 Denver defense). Winning nine games with this roster is par for the course and so much of it had to do with a historically bad division.

But keep telling yourself that Mike Vrabel with zero head coaching experience, or Romero Crennel with a reputation of underachieving as a HC would do so much better. 

Gifted horse in the mouth syndrome going on here.

5 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Highest winning percentage in Texans history, tied for most playoff appearance in franchise history - but yeah, underperformed.

It's like you think 12-4 was a foregone conclusion with no QB, no run game, a WR to throw to and a defense that was good by association of defense. This wasn't a Ravens 2000 defense, or a Tampa Bay 2001 defense (heck, wasn't a 2015 Denver defense). Winning nine games with this roster is par for the course and so much of it had to do with a historically bad division.

But keep telling yourself that Mike Vrabel with zero head coaching experience, or Romero Crennel with a reputation of underachieving as a HC would do so much better. 

You are seriously throwing 9-7, 9-7, 9-7 as "Greatest in Texans history". 

I mean sure his 27-21 record is the best winning % we've ever had, but that doesn't make it good. 

If anything it shows a complete lack of upward mobility in perhaps the worst division ever. 

Here we are in year 4 and maybe we are hoping for 10 wins finally? A 1 win increase in 4 seasons. No thanks. He was a bad hire that no one wants to own up to so hopefully he does a solid and goes elsewhere next year. 

11 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

You are seriously throwing 9-7, 9-7, 9-7 as "Greatest in Texans history"

... because it is?

12 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I mean sure his 27-21 record is the best winning % we've ever had, but that doesn't make it good. 

I'm sorry to break this to you, but Vince Lombardi and Bill Walsh are dead, Bill Parcells is retired and Bill Belicheck currently has a job. Not sure who you're expecting and what your expectations are, but all things considered, 27-21 is not nearly as bad as you're trying to make it out to be.

14 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

If anything it shows a complete lack of upward mobility in perhaps the worst division ever. 

15-3 division record isn't good enough for you? You win the division, that's the first rule of the game. There is nowhere else to go in our division! We're at the top! Do you really see this team competing against New England? Pittsburgh? Given our lack of talent in comparison to these two teams? Hell, Kansas City is currently light years ahead of us in terms of on field talent, and we scored a W against them. What more do you realistically want?

17 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Here we are in year 4 and maybe we are hoping for 10 wins finally? A 1 win increase in 4 seasons.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and teams with one offensive talent don't go 11-5, unless they have a historically good defense (think Ravens, Tampa). It took us eight years to get to 10 wins, why are we complaining that it's taken us four years to replicate this?

This team isn't as good as what you've built up. Again - 14 straight losses. That is historically bad. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

You are seriously throwing 9-7, 9-7, 9-7 as "Greatest in Texans history". 

I guess my question is what do you think the record for the Texans is without Bill O'Brien?  I mean, how many HC are going to win 27 games with Brock Osweiler, Brian Hoyer, and Case Keenum as your starting QB?  I legitimately am curious.  I don't really stand one way or the other on the BOB debate, but the notion that somehow the Texans underperformed with that myriad of QBs is laughable to me.

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I guess my question is what do you think the record for the Texans is without Bill O'Brien?  I mean, how many HC are going to win 27 games with Brock Osweiler, Brian Hoyer, and Case Keenum as your starting QB?

You could argue how many HCs would be prepared to accept those players as their starting QB? I mean Hoyer, Mallett and Osweiler were all "his guys".

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Hell, Kansas City is currently light years ahead of us in terms of on field talent, and we scored a W against them

And Kansas City went from 2-14 in 2013 to 11-5 in Andy Reid's first season and haven't looked back since, whereas we have just stagnated. Sure we've been bullying an historically weak division, but we can't compete beyond that. 

We might be 15-3 vs the worst division in football, but we're also 12-18 against everyone else. 

I'm somewhere in the middle. Yes, technically BOB is the greatest HC we've ever had, but we've only had 3, so it comes with a caveat. 

And yes he turned around a side who had lost 14 on the bounce, but ultimately he has failed to take a side with undeniable talent further than 9-7 whilst being carried by the defence, something he has little control over. 

For me it's a case of, could be worse, could be better. I certainly haven't seen anything that makes me think he will take us to a SB, but we'll probably sweep the division again before a WC playoff defeat. 

1 hour ago, texans_uk said:

You could argue how many HCs would be prepared to accept those players as their starting QB? I mean Hoyer, Mallett and Osweiler were all "his guys".

1. Was Osweiler his guy? I was under the impression he was Smith's guy

2. What were the great alternatives at QB? It isn't like there was that much better available.

37 minutes ago, mse326 said:

1. Was Osweiler his guy? I was under the impression he was Smith's guy

2. What were the great alternatives at QB? It isn't like there was that much better available.

Oh for sure it was slim pickings, but then again weren't we meant to be hiring and QB guru? 

Last year was his 3rd year, his 3rd draft, his 3rd free agency and we ended up with our worst offensive performance since that 2-14 season, hardly progress. 

Brock under kubiak = huge free agent deal

Brock under BOB = costs us a 2nd rounder to move on

As ET pointed out, I guess to help my arguement?, we've have won 27 games in 3 years thanks largely to winning 15 division games against the worst division maybe ever. He's basically stat padded because of that while going underwater against the rest of the league. 

Im just confused, is the argument that our coach is great because the team sucks?

we look woefully unprepared in every big game we play. Our lone playoff win was against a 4 win raiders line up. 

Theres comes a point where the coach and GM are accountable for not developing talent. 

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Brock under kubiak = huge free agent deal

Brock under BOB = costs us a 2nd rounder to move o

Now this is just dumb. Did you actually watch him in Denver? He wasn't that good there either. He showed little flashes so a couple teams were going on possible potential.

Archived