Dolphins to move on from Ryan Tannehill

Elky

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm really curious to see how the carousel plays out. You have three guys that I think are going to have legit starting quarterback interest available now - Foles, Tannehill and Flacco (yep). I'll be curious to see who has the biggest market. Then you have another guy like Teddy B who is an intriguing option, and with the other three taking a bigger priority, may be able to be had for a really cheap deal for a starting quarterback and he may be willing to take it if he's basically guaranteed the starting job.  

I think Tannehill would be a really good fit at Jax, but I don't know how much of the team and cap they want to restructure to get around the cap requirements if Tannehill is going to get something that pays him in the area of 15 million on a single year, which I don't doubt could happen. They have some huge cap chunks that they can get rid of, but for each player that you cut (most of whom are starters), you have to find a way to replace them, so money is still going to be an issue. It'll really help if they can trade Bortles to someone. So they and Washington could be really good fits for Teddy B given the cap crunch. The giants could be a good fit for any of the other three if Eli comes off the books at 17 million. If Foles continues to play well, he could be really intriguing for them given that he's actually younger than Tannehill (kind of crazy that Tannehill is already 30, will be 31 next season). I think the Broncos make some sort of move; Keenum's contract carries 10 million dead, but at least they save 11 million by cutting him. I could easily see them cut him and then grab someone like Flacco for something around that price point. 

The Jaguars Cap situation kinda sucks, but at the same time...there is actually quite a bit of potential flexibility there.  A few cuts, a couple restructures on expensive guys who are out of the big "dead money" phase of their contracts, and i think they could pretty reasonably find a way to shoehorn even a $15M Tannehill contract into the cap structure.  Especially if some sucker team helps out with those apparent offsets in Bortles deal by signing him to way more than he's worth.  And if we know anything about NFL front offices in general, it's that they're prone to doing stupid things financially when it comes to QBs with draft "pedigree".

Makes things really interesting with Gase being out in Miami too.  If he and Tannehill want to maintain some continuity and continue to work together...Jacksonville is certainly a place they could potentially do that.  With a team in need of both a starting QB and an OC with a bit of creativity.  That'd be a combo i could definitely get behind.  I think a Gase offense could match really well with the Jaguars defense and Marrone as HC.

On 12/27/2018 at 9:01 AM, Broncofan said:

Tannenbaum has been a much bigger problem TBH.  Tanny probably isn’t the long term answer but this isn’t a great year to go early for QB.  

The curious part is that Gase doesn’t seem like he can afford a developmental QB year.   Unless they are parting ways you have to think Gase would be targeting a non rookie - I guess they could make Tanny a post June 1 cut to save almost 18M and then go hard on Teddy B.   But the options seem limited compared to the status quo (as a DEN fan I’m well aware given DEN is in far worse shape QB wise than Tanny).    

I honestly think the plan is to keep Gase in a lame duck year while letting Tannehill go. It puts them in prime position to draft a QB in 2020 (Which looks like a REALLY strong QB class with Tua, Herbert, Haskins etc.) and then looking for a HC candidate to groom with their 2020 Drafted QB. Honestly, everything about that article screams 2019 tank.

Archived