Todd Bowles

Tizzy

Not sure why anybody would be so hot on Todd Bowles — as in, both why we would want him so badly and why anyone would think he’d have his pick of DC jobs. 

After a nice debut season in 2015, the Jets ranked 28th, 22nd, and 29th in points allowed under him the last 3 seasons. And while Arizona’s defense did perform well in two seasons under him (although they did take a step back, 24th in yards, in his second season) — how much of that was because of his abilities as a DC, and how much was just due to having a roster with Calais Campbell, Patrick Peterson, Darnell Dockett, John Abraham, Karlos Dansby, Daryl Washington, Honey Badger, Tony Jefferson, Deone Bucannon, etc.?

One thing that concerns me specifically with Bowles is that his scheme appears to be pretty safety-oriented, given his playing background and personnel decisions like ARI drafting Bucannon when they already had Jefferson and Honey Badger and NYJ using their top two picks in 2017 on Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye soon after drafting Calvin Pryor in the 1st. For better or worse, I expect us to be basically starting over at the safety position, and I have no desire to see them making S a top priority in either FA or the draft. If Deionte Thompson is BPA at #15, okay. I’d do that. But it’s not a position I value particularly highly, and clearly Bowles does. 

This is typical redskins!!!! Tease us with a competent coaching candidate just to hire the next weasel guy while they say well we tried but you know this guy has only never been half of what the other guy was but he will work well in our pursuit of mediocrity!!!!

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

ESPN is saying Bowles is joining Arians in Tampa.

Yeah I think this was pretty much a done deal type thing. If we are gonna keep Norman I could see a Steve Wilks coming here. He could finally get us the all pro level of DB we’ve paid for the last 3 seasons if we could get it for 2 I’d take a consolation on that huge deal to finally see a all pro DB for that type of money!!!

On 1/1/2019 at 4:42 PM, e16bball said:

Not sure why anybody would be so hot on Todd Bowles — as in, both why we would want him so badly and why anyone would think he’d have his pick of DC jobs. 

After a nice debut season in 2015, the Jets ranked 28th, 22nd, and 29th in points allowed under him the last 3 seasons. And while Arizona’s defense did perform well in two seasons under him (although they did take a step back, 24th in yards, in his second season) — how much of that was because of his abilities as a DC, and how much was just due to having a roster with Calais Campbell, Patrick Peterson, Darnell Dockett, John Abraham, Karlos Dansby, Daryl Washington, Honey Badger, Tony Jefferson, Deone Bucannon, etc.?

One thing that concerns me specifically with Bowles is that his scheme appears to be pretty safety-oriented, given his playing background and personnel decisions like ARI drafting Bucannon when they already had Jefferson and Honey Badger and NYJ using their top two picks in 2017 on Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye soon after drafting Calvin Pryor in the 1st. For better or worse, I expect us to be basically starting over at the safety position, and I have no desire to see them making S a top priority in either FA or the draft. If Deionte Thompson is BPA at #15, okay. I’d do that. But it’s not a position I value particularly highly, and clearly Bowles does. 

I wanted to say something like this but didn't feel it was worth it for fear of the backlash this forum generally gives posters for not agreeing with the bandwagon opinion.

I would disagree with the last paragraph though, I value safety highly bc they're a cross between a corner & a linebacker I love great safeties and having a great safety rolling around your back end can totally change your defense.

9 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

This is typical redskins!!!! Tease us with a competent coaching candidate just to hire the next weasel guy while they say well we tried but you know this guy has only never been half of what the other guy was but he will work well in our pursuit of mediocrity!!!!

Torrian Gray was actually a competent secondary coach.  We fired him to appease the incompetent defensive coordinator.  

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Torrian Gray was actually a competent secondary coach.  We fired him to appease the incompetent defensive coordinator.  

We probably fired Gray bc Manusky knew he was doing a great job with our young DBs and felt threatened by him. Tomsula and Gray could definitely be better Defensive coordinators than Manusky is.

Archived