2019 GB TEAM Needs

squire12

One of the reasons I wanted Pettine gone is because I think we're going to be complacent with little to no major improvements at EDGE.  I see us signing some over the hill pass rusher and then drafting Jonah Williams and a safety with our first two picks, then a receiver in two and then some 25-year-old pass rusher from Utah in the third round.

I think EDGE is our biggest need, but I think our staff and coaches won't act like it. 

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

One of the reasons I wanted Pettine gone is because I think we're going to be complacent with little to no major improvements at EDGE.  I see us signing some over the hill pass rusher and then drafting Jonah Williams and a safety with our first two picks, then a receiver in two and then some 25-year-old pass rusher from Utah in the third round. 

Saw one story, dont know how credible, saying Williams could fall to end of 1st or later. Said teams are grading him as a 2nd round talent. Either way, no way I touch him at 12. 

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I think EDGE is our biggest need, but I think our staff and coaches won't act like it. 

This is a deep EDGE class so I'm hoping we can get one of the better ones this spring.  If we the fans sitting in the stands and watching TV can see EDGE is our big need I'm pretty certain the coaches and staff agree so they'd be fool hearty to not address it in the first couple of rounds.

1. OLB- It’s probably our second thinnest position on the roster.  No defense with Kyler Fackrell as their #1 pass rusher will ever be championship caliber.  We need to get pressure without bringing the house. (Would love a UFA and a high draft pick or 2 draft high picks)

2. Safety- I  don’t think we’ve got a NFL starting caliber safety on the roster.  The only reason Safety is at #2 is because I  think it’s an easier position to fill than edge rusher. (UFA or high pick)

3. Guard- The position has been rough since we lost Lang to UFA.  Don’t think we need to throw a high pick at the position but I  think a couple guards need to be added via the draft and UFA. (UFA and mid round pick)

4. TE- Oldest group of TEs in the NFL. We a need move TE/ H Back type who can line up all over the place, block and run routes.  Graham isn’t anything more than a glorified WR.  Watching what Shanahan did with Kittle has me really, really wanting to add some high end youth to the position (1st or second round pick)

5. Starting WR- I  anticipate Cobb being gone which would give Green Bay one of the least experienced WR cores in the NFL.  If Adams was to get injured it would EASILY be the NFL’s worst WR core. Adding a guy with return abilities would be a plus (UFA or second round pick)

7. RB depth- Would like to see a more natural pass catcher added.  It feels like it’s forced with Jones.  Maybe a guy who's got return abilities (UFA or mid round pick)

8. DL depth- Clark is a stud and we've got some quality young depth.  However, Daniels is 29 and in the last year of his contract.  (UFA or mid to late round pick)

9. CB depth- We’ve invested the majority of our best draft picks into this one position over the last 4 years and still have issues at the position.  (UFA)

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I'd argue this is the biggest argument for Pettine. Of all the schemes currently run in the NFL, his probably gets you the farthest with bad Edge talent.

3 hours ago, SSG said:

1. OLB- It’s probably our second thinnest position on the roster.  No defense with Kyler Fackrell as their #1 pass rusher will ever be championship caliber.  We need to get pressure without bringing the house. (Would love a UFA and a high draft pick or 2 draft high picks)

2. Safety- I  don’t think we’ve got a NFL starting caliber safety on the roster.  The only reason Safety is at #2 is because I  think it’s an easier position to fill than edge rusher. (UFA or high pick)

3. Guard- The position has been rough since we lost Lang to UFA.  Don’t think we need to throw a high pick at the position but I  think a couple guards need to be added via the draft and UFA. (UFA and mid round pick)

4. TE- Oldest group of TEs in the NFL. We a need move TE/ H Back type who can line up all over the place, block and run routes.  Graham isn’t anything more than a glorified WR.  Watching what Shanahan did with Kittle has me really, really wanting to add some high end youth to the position (1st or second round pick)

5. Starting WR- I  anticipate Cobb being gone which would give Green Bay one of the least experienced WR cores in the NFL.  If Adams was to get injured it would EASILY be the NFL’s worst WR core. Adding a guy with return abilities would be a plus (UFA or second round pick)

7. RB depth- Would like to see a more natural pass catcher added.  It feels like it’s forced with Jones.  Maybe a guy who's got return abilities (UFA or mid round pick)

8. DL depth- Clark is a stud and we've got some quality young depth.  However, Daniels is 29 and in the last year of his contract.  (UFA or mid to late round pick)

9. CB depth- We’ve invested the majority of our best draft picks into this one position over the last 4 years and still have issues at the position.  (UFA)

I think we need a minimum of 3 defensive starters in FA to have a shot in 2019.

Just now, blueswedeshoes said:

^An edge and a safety would be nice. I doubt we could snag two FA safeties, so one of the first three picks might have to go there.

On the other side I think we need a FA guard or TE also. Can’t plan on fixing all those holes via draft. 

I think 2 safeties is very plausible unless their market suddenly goes up. Last year the market sucked and guys like Tre Boston were sitting out there waiting to be plucked for cents on the dollar. Instead we rolled with Kentrell Brice.

You could probably get two decent starting safeties for $10-$12 mil total. One good EDGE will cost that much or more.

Archived