2019 GB TEAM Needs

squire12

Cutting Daniels won't make our team better imo, he's a great leader(which I'm not sure there's many on defense right now) and I doubt he's declined that much where he won't have an impact. If there's one guy thats on the bubble of being cut for cap space that I don't want cut, it's him.

12 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Cutting Daniels won't make our team better imo, he's a great leader(which I'm not sure there's many on defense right now) and I doubt he's declined that much where he won't have an impact. If there's one guy thats on the bubble of being cut for cap space that I don't want cut, it's him.

Is he a great leader?

I am highly skeptical of that label for Daniels.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Is he a great leader?

I am highly skeptical of that label for Daniels.

Well, what constitutes a leader?

He's vocal, knows what he's doing and the other guys respect him and he backs up his mouth with some serious toughness.  I don't think he's the type to let guys slip on effort. I'd be fine giving him a C patch.

13 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Is being vocal equivalent to leadership?

Yes, that's a way of being a leader. The way he pumps up his teammates before and during the game on the field/sidelines, and the way he talks in the locker room doesn't lead me to believe he isn't one. Again why are you skeptical? 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

screw it, cut them both.

new coach, new locker room. let's generate some serious turnover

The third wheel here is Mike Daniels. If we look at the numbers and the players, I'd access the situation as follows: 

1. Mike Daniels: from a savings standpoint, Daniels is actually the most sensible cut, by far. His 2019 cap hit is $10.7 (millions) and his dead cap is $2.4. You let him go and you're getting about an 80% savings that you can instantly reinvest in an EDGE player, a safety or another high quality DL. At this point, Clark has surpassed Daniels on the interior as "the man" and while you want them both, can you afford to pay Daniels $10.7 in the last year of his contract? The downside to cutting Daniels is you lose a valuable locker room guy, an on-the-field leader and a guy who can still disrupt at times. The word is he's not a fit in Pettine's system so how much does that impact your decision? If Daniels isn't going to be used for his strengths in a system that promotes his strengths, should you use that money elsewhere? Daniels is one of my favorite players and cutting him would be an unpopular decision, but the easiest one from a financial standpoint and maybe even a personnel standpoint. 

2. Nick Perry: he's basically the antithesis of Daniels meaning whereas Daniels is the easiest cut from a savings standpoint, the opposite is true for Perry. I think we've talked about a lower dead cap hit if he's a post-June 1 cut, but as it stands now, he's due $14.4 for the season and carries an $11 dead cap hit. Not much return on his release and the lowest "savings" return when looking at the cap hit/dead cap differential for 2019. These facts lean "keep him." However, for on-the-field performance / risk, Perry is the easiest cut. He simply has under-performed much of his career other than his contract year when he knocked it out of the part (thus leading to this contract). Since then, the guy simply can't stay on the field and probably would be the easiest to "replace" in terms of production on the field. He also doesn't offer any other intangibles like being an on-the-field leader or big-time locker room presence, etc. In other words, Nick Perry the person wouldn't really be missed one way or the other in comparison to Daniels. 

3. Jimmy Graham: By far, IMO, the least likely to get cut, and I think the reason is fairly obvious -- he's a Gute guy. He was Gute's big signing during his first year as GM. Cutting Graham is essentially Gute admitting that his first run at FA was more or less a failure -- not a great way to kick things off. Rather, I'm convinced that Gute has convinced himself that Graham can produce better numbers and probably has already told himself that it was McCarthy who failed to use him correctly, combined with Graham's injury. I wouldn't be surprised if Graham's name came up in HC interviews and Gute wanted to hear ideas about how the new HC would use Graham specifically in the new offense. Simply put, Gute has more self-interest in keeping Graham versus Daniels/Perry. From a numbers standpoint, Graham is basically in the middle of Daniels and Perry. He's due $12.6 and carries a dead cap of $7.3 this year. So, you cut him, you're taking 50%+ hit on your return, based purely on the 2019 numbers. Graham's numbers could always improve in year two with 12, plus a more creative play-caller as well. LaFleur's hiring affects Graham a lot more than Daniels/Perry. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Until the point where the Packers dropped the negotiations and ended up signing Martellus Bennett instead.

yeah but i don't get what that has to do with cook really.  He priced himself too high and the packers made the wrong call.

6 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Yes, that's a way of being a leader. The way he pumps up his teammates before and during the game on the field/sidelines, and the way he talks in the locker room doesn't lead me to believe he isn't one. Again why are you skeptical? 

Daniels has a few penalties that were far from leadership quality.  Most notable is NFCCG vs Seattle, taunting penalty after an INT.

Pretty big knock on the defense is the lack of energy and urgency they have played with.  If Daniels is pumping up his teammates, it seems to not last very long.  

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Daniels has a few penalties that were far from leadership quality.  Most notable is NFCCG vs Seattle, taunting penalty after an INT.

Pretty big knock on the defense is the lack of energy and urgency they have played with.  If Daniels is pumping up his teammates, it seems to not last very long.  

Don't really remember that in a game where we **** the bed so many times, that one time doesn't really change my mind on him though. 

Is that lack of energy all on his shoulders though? At least he's shown he is a leader on gameday. We need more leaders on the Defense period, don't think taking one away is the step in the right direction, at least for this year. 

37 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Don't really remember that in a game where we **** the bed so many times, that one time doesn't really change my mind on him though. 

Is that lack of energy all on his shoulders though? At least he's shown he is a leader on gameday. We need more leaders on the Defense period, don't think taking one away is the step in the right direction, at least for this year. 

I think the leader thing is a bit overblown. If a guy isn't like Reggie white or Ray Lewis level, I don't think that aspect moves the needle compared to how good the player is for his contract.

Daniels leadership isn't a factor if I'm deciding whether or not he stays. The only thing I'm concerned with is whether or not we could get better value in the field in his spot. If there are enough "yes" options, I move on.

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think the leader thing is a bit overblown. If a guy isn't like Reggie white or Ray Lewis level, I don't think that aspect moves the needle compared to how good the player is for his contract.

Daniels leadership isn't a factor if I'm deciding whether or not he stays. The only thing I'm concerned with is whether or not we could get better value in the field in his spot. If there are enough "yes" options, I move on.

That's fair, but i think the team will probably keep him on his final contract year like Cobb/Matthew's, dont think he'll be Jordy'd.

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

yeah but i don't get what that has to do with cook really.  He priced himself too high and the packers made the wrong call.

I believe the rumor was that the Packers were negotiating with Cook at the time, and then out of nowhere they got Martellus Bennett to agree to a similar deal and that Cook (or his agent) felt slighted.

Archived