2019 GB TEAM Needs

squire12

Without taking positional value into account, safety is our biggest need. 

We have nothing there.  Not even a snowball's shot in hell there.  Nothing, zero, zilch, zip. 

At pass rush, we have Perry and Fackrell.  Nothing inspiring certainly, but two players who have had double digit sack seasons. 

At safety, we have literally nobody with even the slightest shot at a strong season. 

Although a legitimate pass rusher might be a bigger need considering positional value, safety is unquestionably, undoubtedly our biggest need. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We have nothing there.  Not even a snowball's shot in hell there.  Nothing, zero, zilch, zip. 

At pass rush, we have Perry and Fackrell.  Nothing inspiring certainly, but two players who have had double digit sack seasons. 

At safety, we have literally nobody with even the slightest shot at a strong season. 

Although a legitimate pass rusher might be a bigger need considering positional value, safety is unquestionably, undoubtedly our biggest need. 

agree with all of this, but i think interior DL is a sneaky need as well.  Clark is a beast but we can't be sure about how Daniels or Adams will play out from here.  I might be settling on Christian Wilkins as an early draft crush.

2 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

I'm never against adding DL to the roster, but I wouldn't consider it one of my priority "needs" is all. 

A penetrating 5-Tech has been a priority for me ever since watching Cullen Jenkins be very disruptive our Super Bowl year. I think it could be argued a penetrating D-lineman is the most important position on a defense even over Edge. I just feel like pressure up the middle is more disruptive and it effects both the run and pass more. I feel we need a player like J..J Watt, Chris Jones , Akeem Hicks, Justin Smith, Mo Wilkerson a few years ago, etc.etc.

I was excited with the Wilkerson signing but he didn’t provide much pass rush and is coming off a serious ankle injury; Daniels wasn’t as effective this year, and as much as i like Lowry/Adams/Lancaster they are solid guys but not difference makers. 

Hoping we fill some holes in free agency but I wouldn’t be upset if we went Edge, 5-Tech, Safety with our first three picks and then OL in the third. 

Are all you happy with the backup QB's. I see nothing in Kiser except his running ability. If I was in charge I would consider drafting a QB in the first few rounds, or signing a free agent. Rogers is not getting any younger and he will be more injury prone as he ages.

I am starting to think we could see a QB draft pick at some point soon ... Rodgers has been gimpy all year .. missed a bunch of games in 2017.  I think I've seen enough of Kizer to know that he has no 'it' factor.  He's too inaccurate and mistake prone.  The Packers would be wise to trade him off or go in a different direction.  We literally would not win a game with him as our starting QB.  I don't know what we have in Boyle .. perhaps a decent backup .. almost certainly not a guy you'd want as your QB for a 3-5 game stretch or whatever.

I have no problem parting ways with Kizer. HA! Maybe MM will bring him back to Cleveland!  LOL. 

On a serious note, the Packers should be looking at a near end of career guy to be the backup QB. Boyle has enough arm to keep as the third, developmental guy. 

There are greater team needs for the draft. O-line, TE, and Edge would be my focus.

FA focus would be backup QB, WR, and S.

Most importantly we need a new Strength and Conditioning staff. Bringing in new players is pointless if they end up on IR.  

1 hour ago, firstplace said:

Are all you happy with the backup QB's. I see nothing in Kiser except his running ability. If I was in charge I would consider drafting a QB in the first few rounds, or signing a free agent. Rogers is not getting any younger and he will be more injury prone as he ages.

Had this discussion with some family yesterday while watching Kizer display the skills he has.

I would be all for draft a mid round QB each of the next 2-3 years in hoping that you hit on 1 that can be a potential Rodgers replacement.

Safety became a huge need this season, but we still need to address the EDGE and DL as well. Daniels isn't getting younger, Clark is really the only solid player moving forward, Adams and Lowry are both rotational guys, and after that we have a bunch of JAGs.

We're better off at OL than most realize but we will need to address the situation, especially given the depth of this class. TE is a far greater need than one would think either.

I’m curious to see what we do with our DC. If we keep Petine and stay with a 3-4, I feel we need DL and a couple EDGE guys early. If we move to a 4-3 then we can address EDGE later in with guys like Ferguson, Jelks, Joe Johnson and the like. 

Only WR I want is a shifty Swiss Army knife type if that guy is available after the 3rd-4th round. We had 4 rookie WR’s take the field this year as well as Kumerow to go with Adams. At least 1 should develop into a qualio#2 or possibly another #1 WR with the rest providing depth. Remember when everyone wanted to get rid of Adams? We have talent there just need time. 

FS and SS... we need at least 1 in FA no matter what we do with the scheme as well as another 1 in the draft. 

OL - I feel we need another 1-2 OT’s and maybe 2-3 interior guys to battle it out. One of those could be Madison if he returns. Just can’t figure out Spriggs. Combine says he has the athletic tools, he put in more beef this past off season but it’s just not showing yet. Thing is, I think he’s only 24 yet so I’d like to give him another chance. 

RB - a guy like Anderson from Oklahoma would be nice around 4-5 round. Torn ACL I believe but it was early in the year and he certainly had talent. 

TE - agree with many, we need 1-2 via draft and or FA. 

Needs? There are many in no particular order of importance: 

1. The right coach. 

2. A commitment by Gute to attack FA as if his job depended on getting to the SB in the next 1-2 years. 

3. A backup QB -- Kizer sucks. 

4. RB -- our strongest position on offense given Jones/Williams but I'd like to see a day 3 pick on a different type of player (like a Cohen/Sproles) type role for what hopefully is our brand new creative offensive scheme with our new coach. Think Montgomery but better/quicker. 

5. WR -- the position on this team that has a lot of people fooled. We need to hit the FA market for a No. 2 guy. We should be going into the off-season saying we have our No. 1 (Adams) and a bunch of other guys who are No. 3-4 options. The No. 2 WR on this team is not currently on the roster. Find him in FA, not the draft. 

6. TE -- Jimmy Graham stole from us this year, but that's the pros/cons of FA so I'm not mad about it. I'd rather Gute take those swings than not take them. I'm still in the "cut" Graham camp because I think Donald Lee would have had the same numbers this year given the same targets. Personally, I'd focus on the WR position in FA and go TE by committee. That probably won't happen and we'll probably see Graham again next year, so hopefully he's better in year 2. 

7. OL -- we need Guards. At least 1 starting guard is a necessity, either through FA or one day 2-3 of the draft. Probably need a tackle as well, I'm about done with Spriggs. He's not the future and either way, this is probably Bulaga's last year coming up assuming we don't cut him this year. 

8. DL -- we are pretty set here assuming we stay in a 3-4. If we move to a 4-3, we can start talking about some DE's and maybe target a high-priced guy in FA or go there round 1/2 in the draft. Group is led by Clark and Daniels and Lowry is a serviceable no. 3-4 guy. I wouldn't bring Wilkerson back, he pretty much showed nothing the snaps he played before he was hurt. Adams is a wildcard who could emerge as the No. 3 or be be cut by week 1 next year. 

9. EDGE -- assuming we stay in a predominant 3-4 scheme, this position needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Can't believe I'm saying this but the only guy currently on our roster at EDGE who should be on the final roster next year is Fackrell, but he's still a role player, not a starter. Perry -- gone. Gilbert -- gone. Clay -- I'd take him back at a reduced price, but probably not happening. A guy like Donnerson will get another camp but he's likely a pipe dream. This team needs 2-3 brand new edge players and I'm talking high value players. We need a splash or mid-level splash FA pickup, a 1st rounder and probably another 2nd or 3rd round pick at EDGE. Total rebuild here. 

10. ILB -- you have Martinez and.....I don't know. Not sure what happened to Burks as he vanished this year and he'll get another camp to make strides but we can't count on that. Morrison is okay but severely limited to playing only the run. Your only other guy is Josh Jones who really isn't good at any one part of the game. He gets another camp to show he's not worthless. I'd love to see GB use a premium draft pick on an ILB, not the No. 12 pick, but if the right guy is there, I'd pull the trigger with the second 1st round pick or our 2nd round pick to find an impact ILB to pair with Martinez. Look at Dallas' defense and tell me ILB play doesn't matter. We have ignored the ILB position for years and that cannot continue. 

11. CB -- like DL, we should be pretty much okay here assuming we resign Breeland. That's a pretty good foundation with him, Jaire, JJ, King and Tony B. Have to hope King can maintain some semblance of health and I'd maybe look to add a low value CB in FA as insurance given the youth of the group overall. Good news is for the first time in a long time, CB isn't one of the top needs in the draft for us. 

12. Safety -- dumpster fire, like EDGE, we need a total rebuild. I'd probably resign Campbell because he's cheap and shows some tackling ability. The rest of the group I'd let go tomorrow. Brice -- gone. Pleasant -- gone. Tramon -- he's dependable to be on the field, but I'd let him go and use the money elsewhere. Josh Jones isn't a safety so I'm not counting him. Like EDGE we need a minimum 2-3 new safeties on this roster including at least one impact guy in FA (Thomas (dream get), Collins, Boston, etc.) and probably another vet signing (mid-range) player as well. Personally, given the youth of our CBs I'm not big on drafting a S high and having him start. I'd use those picks on the front 7 and OL. Get your safeties in FA. They're out there. 

13. Kicker -- I'm pro "cut Crosby" but since everyone ******* and moans about the idea, I'm fine keeping him around until we bring someone in to "compete" with him, but if Crosby misses one kick in practice, probably enough for me to send him and his $4M per year packing. 

14. Punter -- Scott is our guy. Hopefully he becomes more consistent in year 2. 

21 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't consider Perry a good pass rusher at all.  After he got his money he disappeared again.  He is a duck out of water at LB and we should never have drafted him.

17 hours ago, firstplace said:

I don't know if this is a particularly good QB draft class.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Robert Quinn anyone? What about Parker? Guy has played his career with Tannehill. 

Quinn would be nice.  He's not what he was 2-3 years ago...but still he can rush.  There are others I'd rather have, though.  I'd rather pay the money to Flowers.  But...if he's out there, he makes that position better in free agency.

I don't know about Parker.  Saw him play a couple time.  Not a high effort guy, I don't think his routes are very good.  Honestly, Outpost mentioned that Bucs receiver, Humphries.  I think he's much better.

Archived