2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

Devin Bush was on the Fat Madden show. So this means that Madden will love him while he is in Pittsburgh. Meanwhile Madden has made about 20 tweets ripping on JuJu, once again, for attending the prom. This clown can't let it go. Bettis didn't go on his show either and he still hates him to this day. He's just as insecure as Mr. Big Ego.

• Like 2

I just want to say something about Ben Roethlisberger as a parent request to Zach Gentry to switch jersey numbers. I don't have a problem with this at all Heath Miller was the tight end that Ben Roethlisberger has played the majority of his career with now yes he's has been gone for a few years now but he is probably the best tight end in Steelers history. This is simply a case of a guy finding it really hard to see somebody wear that number and after Ben is gone it won't matter cool where is that number in terms of the next quarterback but wild been is there he prefers to remember the guy who wore it and did not want to make that comparison and I think that's something that you should keep in mind he is Zach Gentry is a tight end he's not the first guy to wear the number but he's going to be I believe the first tight end to wear the number since he's Miller and the issue I think comes in with Ben

On 2019-05-31 at 11:35 AM, wwhickok said:

I will take that one step further in my opinion Bud Dupree is the one guy on defense that does not deserve to be a starter, especially after the comments he most recently recorded Lee made where he suggested that the only reason he hasn't performed better is because I've how many times he was held without it being cold and that he has gotten a hand on the quarterback but the quarterback has gotten away. Any linebacker in the league can say that in the use it as an excuse but it's a bunch of crap. TJ watt was held for more than Bud Dupree last season without it ever being called and he still got 13 sacks

I missed that link where he blamed missed calls for his lower stats. Do you mind putting the link here, it could be a good laugh ;)

On 2019-05-31 at 7:03 AM, wwhickok said:

I'm going to make a bold prediction in I'll be honest I might very well end up being wrong but honestly I hope I'm not. My bold prediction is that Ola adeniyi starts in game 1 opposite TJ Watt

I would prefer this but I can't see it happening. With dupree getting paid so much, how would they allow Adeyini to start so early unless injury make the decision?   If Adeyini really does well in preseason then he might get into a rotation  thats about it though. rooney paid dupree he plays - nothing we can do about it. If he has a good year, then he gets a better deal somewhere else. If he is suppressed , lacks stats, then he stays here for a few more years with more of the same productivity :) That is probably, and not the way to handle OLB . They need to get another legit starter opposite Watt. 

Some of you laughably overrate Bud.  In what world is he an above average run defender?   Dude takes poor angles and is regularly out of position.   He is semi decent in coverage.  That's about all he does well.  Do I think Ola will start over him?  No, because a) people are overrating him based on a could preseason games against 2nd and 3rd stringers, b) Butler seems to think that because we get decent pressure blitzing, that Bud's god-awfulness as a pass rusher isn't a liability, and c) our coaches and front office struggle to admit their failures, and Ola starting over a mediocre player they are paying $9m would look bad for them.

On 5/31/2019 at 12:44 PM, warfelg said:

Buds the type of player that ends up in NE on a cheap 3 year deal, gets used right, and everyone wonders how he became a FA. 

Yet if he goes anywhere else, he is cut after the first year...maybe 2nd depending on depth.

Not sure why Steeler fans constantly bring up the Pats and Belichick as a comparison.    No other coach...and I repeat....NO OTHER COACH can plug in random players and have success like Belichick, because it's less about the players and more about the genius of him and his system.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Yet if he goes anywhere else, he is cut after the first year...maybe 2nd depending on depth.

Not sure why Steeler fans constantly bring up the Pats and Belichick as a comparison.    No other coach...and I repeat....NO OTHER COACH can plug in random players and have success like Belichick, because it's less about the players and more about the genius of him and his system.

Who knows.  Maybe Patricia starts using players in roles rather than in general.  And I'm not using him/them as a comparison.  You need to stop going to that well so easily.  There's a chance that Dupree goes to a team that does use him differently and he's successful.

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

and Ola starting over a mediocre player they are paying $9m would look bad for them.

this.

NO way he starts unless dupree gets hurt AND Ola has quite a productive series of games.  

I think it's important to remember though that my prediction is bold as it may be relies heavily on the idea that ola adeniyi actually takes a huge step forward this year. If he doesn't show at least twice as much promise in preseason as he did last season really there's no way what I predicted is going to happen and he might not even make the roster

If Dupree leaves he will get picked up by a 4-3 team and Dupree will be their 9 tech.  Then people will cry when he gets 12+ sacks.  9 tech is more natural to him for a pass rusher.  He can use his speed to beat a tackle around the edge rather than engaging with them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

If Dupree leaves he will get picked up by a 4-3 team and Dupree will be their 9 tech.  Then people will cry when he gets 12+ sacks.  9 tech is more natural to him for a pass rusher.  He can use his speed to beat a tackle around the edge rather than engaging with them.

Not at all. In fact if you look back at one of my previous comments I suggested that he might do better in a 4-3 defense. I just don't think that he's a good fit for our defense and I do think that if he goes somewhere else maybe a 4-3 defense that you could see his production greatly improved because of the way that they use him which would be completely different from the way he gets used here.

Allow me to be very clear about something. When I talk about how bad of a player I think Bud Dupree is I am talking about his existence here and this team if he goes to another 3/4 team that uses him exactly the same way as we used him I don't think that he improves at all. But if he goes somewhere it would use him more naturally to his skill set I agree that he would greatly improve potentially and look I hope he does go somewhere else where his career thrives but I don't think that he is a good fit for this team and I don't like him as a starter on our team

Edited by wwhickok

20 hours ago, warfelg said:

Who knows.  Maybe Patricia starts using players in roles rather than in general.  And I'm not using him/them as a comparison.  You need to stop going to that well so easily.  There's a chance that Dupree goes to a team that does use him differently and he's successful.

I didn't go to that...you did.   If you had not mentioned the Pats specifically, I wouldn't have said anything.   

Dupree is extremely limited in what he has to offer...regardless how he is used.  I wouldnt mind Dupree as a backup/sub package player...but as a starter making $9m?  No way...no other team would do that based on what he has shown.   

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Despite his speed, his first step is pretty average.  And you still need to be able to get off blocks as a 9 tech.  There have been numerous speedy guys who failed in that role.

And if he did have success, oh well.  Why would anyone cry?    He is never going to have that success in Butler's system.