2019 Steelers offseason news

warfelg

1 hour ago, rfournier103 said:

No they don’t. 

The Pittsburgh Steelers were founded in 1933. 41 years later in 1974 (January 1975), they won their first Super Bowl. 

The New England Patriots were founded in 1960. 41 years later in 2001 (February 2002), they won their first Super Bowl. 

The Steelers won 6 Super Bowls/Championships over the course of 85 seasons (1933-2018), or 34 seasons (1974-2008). Whichever you prefer. 

The Patriots won 6 Super Bowls/Championships over the course of 58 seasons (1960-2018), or 17 seasons (2001-2018). Whichever you prefer. 

I think it’s the Steelers that need to catch up. 

Im not really supporting his post, but the makeup of the pre-merger league was a completely different league and not even really comparable to the post merger league.

Doesnt mean that championships from the pre merger league dont count, but its silly to factor them into a post merger discussion.

Your team is the greatest MODERN dynasty.....but did nothing notable for the first 30 years after the merger.

2 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

No they don’t. 

The Pittsburgh Steelers were founded in 1933. 41 years later in 1974 (January 1975), they won their first Super Bowl. 

The New England Patriots were founded in 1960. 41 years later in 2001 (February 2002), they won their first Super Bowl. 

The Steelers won 6 Super Bowls/Championships over the course of 85 seasons (1933-2018), or 34 seasons (1974-2008). Whichever you prefer. 

The Patriots won 6 Super Bowls/Championships over the course of 58 seasons (1960-2018), or 17 seasons (2001-2018). Whichever you prefer. 

I think it’s the Steelers that need to catch up. 

I do understand what you are saying I really do but the fact of the matter is Pittsburgh Steelers have been winning the Super Bowl's going to the AFC championships winning divisions etc etc for far longer then the New England Patriots the fact of the matter is the Pittsburgh Steelers while they only have just as many Super Bowls has the Patriots have been a winning team for the majority of every season since 1974. You can isolate the career of Tom Brady and talk about how great the New England Patriots are and don't get me wrong I'm not taking anything from them they have been a great Dynasty during this era for that team but prior to Tom Brady this team was terrible. It was really not that good at all and I think people forget that so this claim and yeah I kind of said this but I think my post was taken a little bit out of context but you cannot blanket statement say that the New England Patriots are the best historical team ever in the Super Bowl era what they have done during the Tom Brady era is historic but it doesn't change the fact that they haven't been the most successful team since the Super Bowl era began that is a just flat-out untrue statement. My point was that recent history shows the New England Patriots has the most successful team and for the Steelers to regain their Prestige they need to improve their roster to a level that can compete with the likes of the New England Patriots and the Kansas City Chiefs and even the Indianapolis Colts in the playoffs.

59 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Still can apply to an extent...the biggest “need” they have is a defensive playmaker...things should start picking up soon

I can't stress how much they missed Shazier.  They really, really, really need a MIKE LB

17 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I can't stress how much they missed Shazier.  They really, really, really need a MIKE LB

While I agree with this completely I feel like people are really underselling how bad this defense is. Really we need two safeties, 2 ILBs, possibly an OLB, 2 CBs and DL depth.

Neither one of our inside linebackers currently should be starting like ever. I'm really still on the fence with Dupree in the only actual proven Corner we have is Joe Haden.

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

While I agree with this completely I feel like people are really underselling how bad this defense is. Really we need two safeties, 2 ILBs, possibly an OLB, 2 CBs and DL depth.

Neither one of our inside linebackers currently should be starting like ever. I'm really still on the fence with Dupree in the only actual proven Corner we have is Joe Haden.

They’re aren’t replacing either S...they’ll give them another year...S is needed...agreed on everything else.

FA must fill at least 1 need..preferably 2.

36 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

They’re aren’t replacing either S...they’ll give them another year...S is needed...agreed on everything else.

FA must fill at least 1 need..preferably 2.

Sean Davis is terrible Morgan Burnett is unreliable and Terrell Edmunds is nothing more than a sub package player. I agree they're going to give John Davis one more year to be completely terrible and then finally realized oh maybe we should replace him. If they don't cut Morgan Burnett they are morons if they don't cut Marcus Gilbert they are morons.

Neither player does anything but waste cap space because neither one can stay healthy. I'm not going to sit here and debate what they do or do not need I'm telling you right now they need two safeties they need to inside linebackers they need defensive line help and they need an outside linebacker and a pair of corners. They have got exactly four players on that entire defense that should not be replaced that being Stephon Tuitt can a word TJ Watt and Joe Aiden everybody else as far as I'm concerned is Expendable as hell

Davis did pretty well this year.  He is not the true CF they need but he was not terrible.

What I really think they need is a change in strategy for the secondary.  This would mean different CBs.  Watching the SB, it becomes clear that tight bump man does better than off man for the modern offenses.   With the Cover 2 that they play a lot, they play off man.  I wonder if they could switch to a a Seattle 3 which has the outside CB in tight man.

54 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Steelers Depot pointed this out but the best Any/D in the last 20 years in the SB was the Buccaneers when Tomlin was the DB coach. Top 5 conference championship game defenses in the same metric: Mike Tomlin lead Vikings. 

Are we talking about a Tampa 2 like scheme? We had talked about this a while ago. I posed the question if there was such a thing as a 3-4 Tampa 2? I've never heard of it but I don't see why it couldn't be run. In fact, I think it could be pretty darn effective. Of course like any scheme it depends on the players on the roster. 

13 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Are we talking about a Tampa 2 like scheme? We had talked about this a while ago. I posed the question if there was such a thing as a 3-4 Tampa 2? I've never heard of it but I don't see why it couldn't be run. In fact, I think it could be pretty darn effective. Of course like any scheme it depends on the players on the roster. 

Tampa - 2. 

Whats big in that though is both defenses had a great pass rush. Which tells me what MT wants to do in the secondary works, but the rush isn’t supporting it. 

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Tampa - 2. 

Whats big in that though is both defenses had a great pass rush. Which tells me what MT wants to do in the secondary works, but the rush isn’t supporting it. 

I don't think Edmunds and Davis fit that mold. Then again, I don't know what mold they fit. 

21 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Tampa - 2. 

the steelers led the league in sacks and the majority came from our  dline and olb. seems like our rush wasnt the problem