2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

1 minute ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm in agreement. 1) Giants won't trade him to us; 2) the price would be too much; 3) considering his injury history he can end up being the next Dez/Demaryius and begin a speedy decline entering his age 30 season; 4) the drama. 

Unlike many fans on this forum, I don't think a "star" receiver is necessary by any means. We do need is to invest in the position - both draft picks and free agents. I would avoid trading for a big name right now because we simply don't have the ammo to do it. What makes more sense is adding a guy like Humphries in hopes that he can be our version of a Robert Woods signing for the LAR, adding some talent through in the draft, then as things progress in our offensive development try to go find that star. Humphries is extremely underrated because the fact that he is a slot receiver, but again, feel like he can be a huge producer in the right environment. If you find someone in the draft great, if not keep in mind next years class figures to be a historic one, and we will have more draft capital to trade for a WR.

I agree with this. But that other WR would have to be used with a valuable pick IMO. We've targeted these mid round WRs WAY TOO MANY times and have swung and missed. Time to grab a legit talent in the draft.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:21 AM, barnaby8787 said:

This is worth noting. Not many are as well connected to the org as Tony Pauline

https://mobile.twitter.com/BleavPodcasts/status/1096088701812330496

I think it would be tampering if Jets made a move for Bell or any other free agent before the new league year. Pitt can still tag him or unlikely as it might be, sign him.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I have this weird feeling that we don't make any splash signing and Macc's job is on the line. His job was on the line pretty much last year and he saved it my drafting Darnold. But you look at what he did with over 120mill in FA last year and we really have nothing to show for it. I think Macc is pretty clueless when it comes to FA. I know everyone says teams that win FA don't win games. But when he's had multiple offseason with over 100mill and what we have to show for it only Avery Williamson... its bad. Not sure he has that killer instinct to get a player even if it means overpaying a bit bc the team NEEDS him, not wants him. This team should be paying 2 OLineman whatever they want to get them. An edge rusher or 2 whatever they want to get them. I don't think we end all need Bell. But BIG UPGRADES need to be made on offense at skill positions. So make it happen. Make trades, etc. Ijust have this weird feeling Macc doesn't change and we sign the Spencer Long, Mo Claiborne, Isaiah Crowell's of FA rather than actual difference makers.

You're far too skeptical. Just a few notes... 

1. Splash signings are no different than ordinary signings - it's all a crap shoot. When Robert Woods was a FA, Alshon Jeffery, Pierre Garcon, Terrelle Pryor, DeSean Jackson, and Kenny Stills were the guys Rams fans were clamoring for. Who got the last laugh?
  2. We've had this conversation time and time again: every free agent worth signing the Jets have at least been a finalist on. We've identified the right players, it just so happens that they haven't signed with us. Part of it had to do with money, part of it had to do with coaching staff uncertainty, part of it had to do with the QB. We no longer have problems in all 3 of those areas.
  3. If you have a problem with contract negotiation and a lack of "killer instinct" in our front office, you're blaming the wrong person: Jacquline Davidson was the chief negotiator through August 2018; it is expected that with her dismissal (although it was termed as a mutual parting of ways), both Maccagnan and Heimerdinger will take over those duties - need to give them a chance. I think Maccagnan proved that he had the balls with the trade to 3 prior so far in advance. Yes I get it, he could've stumbled on another less desirable QB had the Giants taken Darnold at 2, but the fact is this was a bold move that hadn't really been done so early before. 

The Jets will make moves. There's literally no way around it: the Jets have the 2nd most cap room in the NFL and the least amount of players. We're going to sign some players to big contracts, we're going to sign some players to smaller deals. That said, Rome wasn't built in one day. They should not be doing the things you are saying because it's a recipe for failure. The OL market isn't terrific, so simply throwing money at 2 guys isn't going to solve anything. Look at how that turned out with Andrew Norwell, a presumed top 5 interior lineman in the game. Same goes for the EDGE market. Take a guy like Flowers. I really like him, but is he worth $17 million a year? He's young but has athletic limitations, doesn't have a defined role, and his career high is 7.5 sacks in a season... I'd be happy if we signed him, but also realize that he's not worth what he's going to be paid. 

Need to be smart, identify guys who are clear cut stars and do what you can to sign them. If not able there's no need to fret. Find guys like Avery Williamson who may not have been stars previously but are headed in the right direction. 

17 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

You're far too skeptical. Just a few notes... 

1. Splash signings are no different than ordinary signings - it's all a crap shoot. When Robert Woods was a FA, Alshon Jeffery, Pierre Garcon, Terrelle Pryor, DeSean Jackson, and Kenny Stills were the guys Rams fans were clamoring for. Who got the last laugh?
  2. We've had this conversation time and time again: every free agent worth signing the Jets have at least been a finalist on. We've identified the right players, it just so happens that they haven't signed with us. Part of it had to do with money, part of it had to do with coaching staff uncertainty, part of it had to do with the QB. We no longer have problems in all 3 of those areas.
  3. If you have a problem with contract negotiation and a lack of "killer instinct" in our front office, you're blaming the wrong person: Jacquline Davidson was the chief negotiator through August 2018; it is expected that with her dismissal (although it was termed as a mutual parting of ways), both Maccagnan and Heimerdinger will take over those duties - need to give them a chance. I think Maccagnan proved that he had the balls with the trade to 3 prior so far in advance. Yes I get it, he could've stumbled on another less desirable QB had the Giants taken Darnold at 2, but the fact is this was a bold move that hadn't really been done so early before. 

The Jets will make moves. There's literally no way around it: the Jets have the 2nd most cap room in the NFL and the least amount of players. We're going to sign some players to big contracts, we're going to sign some players to smaller deals. That said, Rome wasn't built in one day. They should not be doing the things you are saying because it's a recipe for failure. The OL market isn't terrific, so simply throwing money at 2 guys isn't going to solve anything. Look at how that turned out with Andrew Norwell, a presumed top 5 interior lineman in the game. Same goes for the EDGE market. Take a guy like Flowers. I really like him, but is he worth $17 million a year? He's young but has athletic limitations, doesn't have a defined role, and his career high is 7.5 sacks in a season... I'd be happy if we signed him, but also realize that he's not worth what he's going to be paid. 

Need to be smart, identify guys who are clear cut stars and do what you can to sign them. If not able there's no need to fret. Find guys like Avery Williamson who may not have been stars previously but are headed in the right direction. 

I hope you’re right but we had to hit the cap floor last year and did signing like McCown at 10mill, Spencer long, etc. That money needs to be used on good players. Not guys to fill cap space. And that’s my issue. It seems Macc (he is our GM after all) misses and then just fills cap space with below average talent 

32 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

We randomly declined Mike Pennel’s option so he’s an FA now. Maybe Gregg doesn’t think he’s a fit for the D

Didn’t even know he had an option. Not a huge fan of this move. He played really well last season and would have been the 1-tech next to Leo on early downs.

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Flowers and Ford are likely out. Looks like Fowler is our best FA option.

Where did you see this? By all accounts, Flowers isn’t going to be tagged.

24 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

DeMarcus Lawrence won’t sign a franchise tag if tagged again 

Link?