2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

You are right. My mistake- I didn't mean to phrase it as if they weren't, just meant to emphasize that his style is more attacking upfield rather than relying on the DL to occupy blockers. He wants his DL in the backfield by any means necessary

You aren't wrong.  Williams's defense is not designed for stuffing the run by default.   Once the O-line is broken RB may have hard time to run through holes.   However, if DL and LB miss tackles, Jets are screwed up. 

Just now, JetsandI said:

You aren't wrong.  Williams's defense is not designed for stuffing the run by default.   Once the O-line is broken RB may have hard time to run through holes.   However, if DL and LB miss tackles, Jets are screwed up. 

Well that’s true for any formation or roles. Missing tackles screws every team

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. He’s one of our best players and we better start using him in a more aggressive way

5 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

That’s the major key. If I see him lined up against a tackle all year I might lose it.

That would make Quinnen Williams top priority for Williams' sake.

5 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

How? 

Quinnen is supposed to be much stronger and quicker than Leonard so he should line up against strongest or heaviest OL anywhere.  Leonard is no slouch but could be more attractive in sack department if he plays for mismatch up instead of staying against RT all the time no matter who.

9 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Quinnen is supposed to be much stronger and quicker than Leonard so he should line up against strongest or heaviest OL anywhere.  Leonard is no slouch but could be more attractive in sack department if he plays for mismatch up instead of staying against RT all the time no matter who.

I don’t think lining either of them up that wide is conducive their own success or team success. 

25 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

You are right. My mistake- I didn't mean to phrase it as if they weren't, just meant to emphasize that his style is more attacking upfield rather than relying on the DL to occupy blockers. He wants his DL in the backfield by any means necessary

Yeah his style is attacking with the front 4 for sure.  If I recall he's not the mad blitzer he is made out to be.  He typically loves to pressure with 4 if he can.

I think an ideal player for his scheme is Barr.  He can rush the passer off the edge but excels in coverage as well.  Scheme versatile player like that seems like a high priority in my eyes.

Williams loves to drop his DE's and overload blitz.  He dropped Garrett quite a bit more then one would expect for a high end pass rusher.  I think Barr would fit the "LEO" role here rather well.  

12 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I think we’re best suited as a 3-3-5

EDGE - Flowers or Z. Smith or H. Anderson 

1 Tech - Q Williams

3 Tech - Big Cat

Stand Up Pass Rusher - BARR

MIKE - Williamson

WILL - Lee

5 DBs - Tru, Derrick Jones, Justin Coleman, Adams, Maye 

If we were able to double down on pass rushers in FA, draft Q, and land a solid slot CB like Coleman that could be scary good.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

If we were able to double down on pass rushers in FA, draft Q, and land a solid slot CB like Coleman that could be scary good.  

I'm so open to the idea of Quinnen Williams if we can't trade down. I know how Jets fans feel about another DL, but it's obvious we're going to address the EDGE in FA. Having the two Williams' in the interior with a combination of athletic pass rushers on the outside would be devastating for offensive lines to defend. Signing Flowers and drafting Quinnen would be redundant because Flowers is best utilized as a pass rusher from the interior on 3rd downs, and the same goes for Henry Anderson. Zadarius Smith makes sense, but I'd prefer to go a different route. 

Ideally my preference would be to sign Preston Smith as the EDGE (assuming all the priority guys are gone) and either Anthony Barr or Shaq Barrett as the SLB/stand up rusher in the 3-3-5 scenario outlined above... now that would be a heck of a haul. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I'm so open to the idea of Quinnen Williams if we can't trade down. I know how Jets fans feel about another DL, but it's obvious we're going to address the EDGE in FA. Having the two Williams' in the interior with a combination of athletic pass rushers on the outside would be devastating for offensive lines to defend. Signing Flowers and drafting Quinnen would be redundant because Flowers is best utilized as a pass rusher from the interior on 3rd downs, and the same goes for Henry Anderson. Zadarius Smith makes sense, but I'd prefer to go a different route. 

Ideally my preference would be to sign Preston Smith as the EDGE (assuming all the priority guys are gone) and either Anthony Barr or Shaq Barrett as the SLB/stand up rusher in the 3-3-5 scenario outlined above... now that would be a heck of a haul. 

Preston Smith makes a ton of sense for the Jets. The case can be made that signing Smith to a $10-11M/year contract would be a better move then signing Flowers to a $16-17M/year contract. I’d have no issue going into the draft having already signed Smith and Quinn/Graham, and then drafting Q. 

As far as Z’darius Smith goes, I think he falls in the same boat as Flowers/Anderson in that his best pass rushing reps are in the inside. 

My response was to the 3-3-5 KingofDot mentioned.  Guys like Flowers and Smith are ideal because they would be rushing from the 5-tech position most of the time and not the 7-9 tech off the outside shoulder of the OT.  You would want a guy like Smith of Flowers to rush to the B or C gap from the 5-tech lined up over the OT.  That would give them access to rush the B gap or stunt off of Q into the A gap.  Quinnen would handle 1 tech duties and shade towards the 5-tech while Leo lines up as the 3-tech.  Barr would then line up as the edge rusher in a 2 point stance outside of Leo covering the outside C gap on his side.  I don't see why Flowers or Smith couldn't handle the strong side DE lined up over the OT and control the C and B gaps especially if they are better inside rushers.  Both are too small to be full time 3-techs so I think the Strong DE is ideal for them unless I'm missing something.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Preston Smith makes a ton of sense for the Jets. The case can be made that signing Smith to a $10-11M/year contract would be a better move then signing Flowers to a $16-17M/year contract. I’d have no issue going into the draft having already signed Smith and Quinn/Graham, and then drafting Q. 

As far as Z’darius Smith goes, I think he falls in the same boat as Flowers/Anderson in that his best pass rushing reps are in the inside. 

Isn't Preston a slight better version of Jenkins though.  Seems like having Jenkins on the DL full time isn't a great idea but you guys want Smith there?