2019 Offseason Preview/FA Rumors

jetskid007

1 hour ago, KodiakThunder said:

The Jets shouldnt be trading away any draft picks for players. 

This is a team thats being built from the ground up. No reason to take "flyers" on a bad 1st round pick from a few yrs ago. Id rather Mac take his guy than another teams cast off. Theres plenty other young guys with upside that wont cost a draft pick to obtain.

So much cap space and people want to trade a draft pick for a slot reciever? I dont get it.  

I disagree with this. As long as the player they’re trading for is young... then I don’t see why not. And Ross is young (24yrs old pretty much the whole season). We’ve drafted guys older than he is right now.

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I disagree with this. As long as the player they’re trading for is young... then I don’t see why not. And Ross is young (24yrs old pretty much the whole season). We’ve drafted guys older than he is right now.

Adding to this, with Mac’s spotty draft history, we’d be better off with Ross than a late round pick. 

I don't mind trading picks for young players. But I would pass on Ross. We have our deep threat in Robby who's better than Ross. Better to use that 3rd or 4th on a WR in the draft if need be. 

If we are going to trade for a WR, I would prefer a slot guy or a big red zone threat type of receiver. 

Gase and Macc could also think Cindy has misused Ross and he has more quickness to go along with his speed. I don’t know that much about Ross besides that he’s not big, crazy fast and a deep threat. I’ll research him a bit more today to see if I think he has more to his game than that

I see the Falcons might move on from Vic Beasley. They are picking 8th so I think Beasley pick 8 and their second round pick would be solid to trade away the 3 pick overall. This fills a need, pick up and early second round pick and move down 5 spots where we could take our tackle or stud WR. Q. Williams might even be there too at 8.

17 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I see the Falcons might move on from Vic Beasley. They are picking 8th so I think Beasley pick 8 and their second round pick would be solid to trade away the 3 pick overall. This fills a need, pick up and early second round pick and move down 5 spots where we could take our tackle or stud WR. Q. Williams might even be there too at 8.

Vic Beasley has been terrible for some time now. Also, why would the Falcons want to trade up? 

John Ross being confused as just a deep threat is off-base. Watch his college tape. Ran a fairly vast route tree extremely effectively. His feet are tremendous. I haven't been able to watch his play for CIN this year, but I don't think those things just disappear absent a significant injury to his lower body. 

I think the problems he has stem more from confidence than anything. I remember reading his scouting reports that suggested he was a very emotional player who lets things get to him. In fact, here's an article regarding how emotionally down he was after his rookie year: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/08/01/what-happened-cincinnati-bengals-wide-receiver-john-ross-inside-his-rookie-year/867859002/

I think the reports that he wants a fresh start are valid. It seems like the perfect storm unfolded in CIN; he missed his first minicamp and training camp as a rookie, which left him very far behind his teammates. He didn't partake in any action until mid-August, then sprained his knee. In his NFL debut, he was benched after fumbling in the first quarter. Then he missed time again. Upon his return a few weeks later, he only played 5 snaps. Then he was a healthy scratch. Then Marvin Lewis was calling him out to the media. In the midst of all this, the team had been giving Ross reps at corner with the scout team prior to him being shutdown to have shoulder surgery. Let that all sink in. 

I realize John Ross has the potential to be anything from a good player to a Devin Smith/Corey Coleman. His career trajectory is very, very murky. But I'd still make a move. Get him a good sports therapist, put him on a regiment focused on keeping him healthy, and create a specific role for him that he'll feel comfortable with. He is every bit as talented as Brandin Cooks, and his college tape showed a player who was similarly talented on the field. Just needs to put it all together, but admittedly that isn't a given. 

Btw, the cousin I always talk about in here represents him. Should be able to get some scoopage this week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

John Ross being confused as just a deep threat is off-base. Watch his college tape. Ran a fairly vast route tree extremely effectively. His feet are tremendous. I haven't been able to watch his play for CIN this year, but I don't think those things just disappear absent a significant injury to his lower body. 

I think the problems he has stem more from confidence than anything. I remember reading his scouting reports that suggested he was a very emotional player who lets things get to him. In fact, here's an article regarding how emotionally down he was after his rookie year: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/08/01/what-happened-cincinnati-bengals-wide-receiver-john-ross-inside-his-rookie-year/867859002/

I think the reports that he wants a fresh start are valid. It seems like the perfect storm unfolded in CIN; he missed his first minicamp and training camp as a rookie, which left him very far behind his teammates. He didn't partake in any action until mid-August, then sprained his knee. In his NFL debut, he was benched after fumbling in the first quarter. Then he missed time again. Upon his return a few weeks later, he only played 5 snaps. Then he was a healthy scratch. Then Marvin Lewis was calling him out to the media. In the midst of all this, the team had been giving Ross reps at corner with the scout team prior to him being shutdown to have shoulder surgery. Let that all sink in. 

I realize John Ross has the potential to be anything from a good player to a Devin Smith/Corey Coleman. His career trajectory is very, very murky. But I'd still make a move. Get him a good sports therapist, put him on a regiment focused on keeping him healthy, and create a specific role for him that he'll feel comfortable with. He is every bit as talented as Brandin Cooks, and his college tape showed a player who was similarly talented on the field. Just needs to put it all together, but admittedly that isn't a given. 

Btw, the cousin I always talk about in here represents him. Should be able to get some scoopage this week. 

The more I watched him, the more I see he's not just a deep threat. I'm all for making a move for him.

22 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Interested in Dante Fowler per Tony Pauline

This has been obvious for quite some time. Not only were we interested in trading up for him in 2015, we tried trading for him last offseason and during last season. Everyone in our front office (and coaching staff at the time) had a high valuation of him. Whether or not they were right is TBD considering he's only 24 years old, but execs tend to feel they're right more often than they don't. 

I fully expect us to be bullish on him and overpay. Whether or not we'll have buyers remorse is anyone's guess, but you don't display that much interest in a player over a 3 year period and come away empty when he hits the open market. My hope is he will have a similar career arc to former high draft picks Brandon Graham, Melvin Ingram, Jerry Hughes, Jadeveon Clowney, Demarcus Lawrence - injury and subpar performance in their first 4 years, but ultimately developed into premier NFL pass rushers by their 4th/5th seasons

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 1