Rank Your Choices for Head Coach

AnAngryAmerican

While I was hoping we would cast a wider net for our new head coach, the five names that came out within hours of Vance's termination seem to be our entire lot. The Broncos next head coach will be one of: Vic Fangio (DC, Chicago), Brian Flores (DC, New England), Mike Munchak (OL coach, Pittsburgh), Chuck Pagano (former-HC, Indianapolis) and Zac Taylor (QBs coach, LA Rams). 

Unless all five under-impress and Elway decides he needs to continue looking, it will be one of these five. So, rank your choices 1-5. 

Before I rank mine, I will say that this year there is really only one coach I would hate (Flores) but also none that I would really love. Two years ago I really wanted Kyle, would have been perfectly fine with Toub but (like 95% of the fan base) did not want Vance. 

1. Chuck Pagano: He has experience as a HC for six years and seems to be competent, would be a John Fox-like stabilizing force. 
  2. Mike Munchak: Also has HC experience, is a former All-Pro player and has expertise with the most important unit on the field.
  3. Zac Taylor: I would be okay rolling the dice on a young hot-shot type but I don't think it's very likely. 
  4. Vic Fangio: I'm not a huge fan of old school, "rah-rah" DCs but at least he would be a stable force and an adult in the room.
  5. Brian Flores: Just say no way to the Patriot Way. They all fail and usually spectacularly. 

What's say you?

FWIW, Klis thinks that Munchak is the front-runner. I could live with that, but wouldn't really love it, so long as he proves he can handle a locker room better than his current boss has. 

As Broncos’ general manager John Elway said he will keep an open mind during his head coach search, Pagano has a chance. Steelers’ offensive line coach Mike Munchak might be the guy to beat from a candidate list that so far also includes Bears defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor and possibly New England defensive coordinator Brian Flores.

Switch Pagano and Munchak and my list looks like yours AAA. Pagano coming home is a great story, he’s a great guy whose players absolutely loved him, and runs a clean enterprise. I can’t  help but wonder how much Ariel’s and Luck had to do with his early success though. 

Either way with the top two the question will be who they bring in as OC. Maybe that’s the real reason why their bringing in Zac Taylor?

21 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Switch Pagano and Munchak and my list looks like yours AAA. Pagano coming home is a great story, he’s a great guy whose players absolutely loved him, and runs a clean enterprise. I can’t  help but wonder how much Ariel’s and Luck had to do with his early success though. 

Either way with the top two the question will be who they bring in as OC. Maybe that’s the real reason why their bringing in Zac Taylor?

I do wonder the same as you about Pagano, we've seen sooooooooooo many guys ride the coattails of elite QBs. Arians is also a borderline elite coach who ran the ship when Pagano was out sick. 

I would like bringing in Zac Taylor as the OC. Just like LaFleur getting a promotion to play-caller in Tennessee this year, it would be a promotion for Taylor to come here as a play-caller. But it seems Kubiak is penciled in, at the very least, as OC. 

I think I'm pretty firmly in the Pagano camp for a few reasons. The first would be he'd be getting a second HC chance after having some success in his first HC stint and taking a year off. Second chance HC's have a much greater chance of success. BB and Pete Carroll come to mind.

I like his ability on the defensive side of the ball. IMO we had severe issues there, most notably our first half performances. I can't really remember a game where we weren't in a hole almost immediately. We got killed in the first half of most games. By the second half we had some great defensive heroics but by that time the damage was done. Expecting a Keenum led offense to dig you out of a hole continuously is a fools errand.

His players seem to respond well to him and his in game management is far better than we've seen for a couple of years. He's still a young guy and is right at his coaching prime. I think he'd jump at the chance to come to Denver.

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I know this might sound a bit heartless, but I feel like Pagano was more of product of Arians/Luck.  The players did rally around him during his illness, but to be honest, the illness seemed to allow him leeway towards the end when he (and most other coaches) should've been let go long before he actually was.

1. Mike Munchak
  2. Zac Taylor
  3. Vic Fangio
  4. Chuck Pagano 
  5. Brian Flores

Can we vote for "None of the Above";)

Do we have confirmation of the intent to install Kubs as OC?  That just seems like a bad plan on so many levels.  Nueters the HC right from the start, create power struggles (as mentioned elsewhere), and - lets face it, Kubs is pretty old school.  

Pagano seems competent, a decent guy, and a good story.  Beyond that, hard to get excited about any of them.  Would rather go back to Toub, to be honest.  Have to assume McCarthy has told Elway to pound sand as he has better options.  

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You like Flores the best why?

I don’t know that I like him best.  I am okay with him or Taylor.

I just don’t want an old retread who failed rather quickly in their last coaching stint.  Or a 60 year old Vic Fangio whose interviewed for years and can’t get an HC gig.

Further, I haven’t seen anyone give full fledged support over Pagano or Munchack, even if they have them at #1 or #2.  The thought is let’s hire one of these guys because they’re veterans and then in 2-3 years go get an HC that can actually make us competitive.  

I’d much rather go for the homerun rather than pick a guy we know isn’t the answer. If it doesn’t work we can hire another guy in 2-3 years, which is the same philosophy behind hiring Pagano or Munchack. 

21 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You like Flores the best why?

Yeah I second that question, @germ-x, why on Earth do you like Flores? He has the same resume as Vance, but without play-calling duties and exposure to other coaches/systems/schemes and brings the stench of New England assistants. 

I can’t believe they’re even interviewing him, Rooney Rule or not. 

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

I don’t know that I like him best.  I am okay with him or Taylor.

I just don’t want an old retread who failed rather quickly in their last coaching stint.  Or a 60 year old Vic Fangio whose interviewed for years and can’t get an HC gig.

Further, I haven’t seen anyone give full fledged support over Pagano or Munchack, even if they have them at #1 or #2.  The thought is let’s hire one of these guys because they’re veterans and then in 2-3 years go get an HC that can actually make us competitive.  

I’d much rather go for the homerun rather than pick a guy we know isn’t the answer. If it doesn’t work we can hire another guy in 2-3 years, which is the same philosophy behind hiring Pagano or Munchack. 

I agree with the fact that they should of had a lot more young candidates.  The list as a whole is underwhelming.  I'm mad we aren't interviewing the kc offensive coordinator.  

Also brian Schottenheimer intrigues me did a great job in Seattle this year.

Archived