Specialty Coach Search: Dennison hired, O-Line (p. 24)

vike daddy

Philbin has plenty of experience in this area [offensive line], dating back to his college coaching days with stops including Ohio, Northeastern, Harvard and Iowa before getting his first crack at the NFL with the Packers in 2003 as the assistant offensive line coach. He was elevated to full-time offensive line coach duty in 2006 before being Green Bay's offensive coordinator from 2007-11, winning the Super Bowl in his final season with the team at the time. He would parlay that into a head coaching job with the Miami Dolphins from 2012-15 before being relieved of his duties and joining the Indianapolis Colts as their assistant head coach and offensive line coach in 2016-17.

This past season, he was hired back to Green Bay as their offensive coordinator once again under Mike McCarthy and then would take over as the interim head coach after the team fired their long-time head coach.

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/Article/Joe-Philbin-Vikings-interview-127616089/

17 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Coach and GM get together and agree on team building philosophy. It is safe to infer that the philosophy that Zimmer wanted didn't target offensive line as a priority. Spielman has final say but was building the team in the image Zimmer wanted. They have not properly weighed the importance of offensive line.

I'm pretty sure this echoes my sentiments on the situation, just stated differently.

10 hours ago, Klomp said:

Since you bring that up....

Is it your opinion that the Vikings do not value defensive line high enough relative to its importance to team success? We've only drafted one DL in the first two rounds since 2006.

Defensive line has not been a major concern of mine. The team's results have been solid along the defensive line. I don't see a need for them to make any significant adjustments there.

Thank goodness they do not have Mike Priefer anymore.  Oddly enough he was offered a contract so he was not fired he decided to leave and go to Cleveland?  Wow, still the guy has something wrong with the way he coaches because all of his kickers seem to really suck and get worse under his coaching.  The Vikings kicker trouble is ridiculously over the past few years, prime example would be Carlson this past year of course who did just find on the Raiders after he left, not to mention Blair Walsh...  

As for the OL coach that will be wildly important.  

4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's a good point.  Any new coach in Cleveland may start out on a hotter seat than Mike Zimmer is on right now.

I know the history but the Browns kept Hue Jackson for way longer than any owner should have. Given the most recent history it seems the new coach will get at absolute minimum a couple years; they did not have a quick trigger with Hue at all. Odds of Kitchens doing worse than Jackson are very slim. That looks like a team on the upswing. Baker looks real.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:31 PM, Ozzy said:

Thank goodness they do not have Mike Priefer anymore.  Oddly enough he was offered a contract so he was not fired he decided to leave and go to Cleveland?  Wow, still the guy has something wrong with the way he coaches because all of his kickers seem to really suck and get worse under his coaching.  The Vikings kicker trouble is ridiculously over the past few years, prime example would be Carlson this past year of course who did just find on the Raiders after he left, not to mention Blair Walsh...  

As for the OL coach that will be wildly important.  

He grew up a Browns fan.  

Archived