BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

35 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Wasn't Gase the guy who sat Kenyan Drake who's more talented than one of the all-time leading rushers? Doesn't that make him bad?

Veteran preference doesn't make him a bad coach, just one who probably pitched gore on signing in miami on the fact he'd get touches. 

5 hours ago, SirA1 said:

For me personally I don't have the time to get this done in the time frame Mike/Hockey is wanting. He has never experienced a BDL owner's meeting so doesn't understand the grind involved. People complained about the snap voting in the Winter's meeting from a few years ago when I tried to make it simpler.  They want the back and forth.

I've got a ton of stuff to do this weekend, A convention MLK weekend, Family in town the weekend after that, Superbowl, the NSFL draft starts in Feb. I'm booked solid and don't have the time to run an Owner's meeting now much less participate in one. Plus I want to get it right so that this next meeting sets stuff in stone for at least awhile. Constantly tweaking things to fix perceived injustices has got us where we are today with a lot of leftover bloat from years past. The changing of the Salary Cap structure twice in one year before even see if the first adjustment that has worked well in the past even had a chance to get implemented proved this to me.

Want me to run it?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Veteran preference doesn't make him a bad coach, just one who probably pitched gore on signing in miami on the fact he'd get touches. 

Or how about the times he talked poorly about his own players in the media? Dude seems like a clown to me I'm shocked he got so much attention so quickly.

The Drake/Gore thing isn't so clear cut, but the talk about his players is a bit concerning and in particular what a lot of them thought about him.

With that said, it's not like Miami has a great roster or anything and they performed pretty solidly all things considered. Guy was out there winning games with Brock Osweiler. 

End of the day, someone that can coach good football and get the best out of their players even if they are a bit of a ****** or can come across as one is better than a nice guy who has no clue as a coach. Winning solves every problem - give Gase a talented team that's winning and those issues go away. 

Edited by WFLukic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WFLukic said:

End of the day, someone that can coach good football and get the best out of their players even if they are a bit of a ****** or can come across as one is better than a nice guy who has no clue as a coach.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I would rather not "fix" something now to then only have to "fix" it again this Summer. We did that last year with the Salary Cap Increase.

I will say, in defense of the Cap Increase issue that keeps getting brought up. The reason that was "Fixed" in the winter and then "fixed again" in the Summer is because in the Winter it wasn't discussed, someone put a proposal out there and it was voted on with minimal discussion. After that vote there was a further discussion about how it could be made better and the collective of the group found a better way to go about cap changes and it was voted on in the Summer.

Listen, I completely understand letting things that pass take a year to be put into affect. I literally do the same thing as the commissioner of one of my Dynasty leagues because it allows the manager a year to plan and prepare for the changes when it has to do with rosters and team creation. I don't see why things like voting on the length of the season, when waivers are, or the length of the voting period need to wait as there is literally zero affect on how the team is built with those changes.

12 hours ago, SirA1 said:

We just had a long and arduous BDL season. It's time to take a break, watch the NFL playoffs and start doing draft evaluations. Heck we normally don't start the real off season until Feb but are already doing things a month early. People are tendering ERFA's now when they don't have to until right before June.

Also while I respect this, if you really want people to take a break leave the rosters locked through January. Unlocking them literally "starts" the offseason as people begin to make trades and do ERFAs before anything is due.

4 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Listen, I completely understand letting things that pass take a year to be put into affect. I literally do the same thing as the commissioner of one of my Dynasty leagues because it allows the manager a year to plan and prepare for the changes when it has to do with rosters and team creation. I don't see why things like voting on the length of the season, when waivers are, or the length of the voting period need to wait as there is literally zero affect on how the team is built with those changes.

Also, if you disagree with this line of thinking and/or way of doing things, we can always do like @Jlash said and literally vote on when each change should go in (immediately or season following).

13 hours ago, SirA1 said:
21 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

Introduction of a BDL practice squad would make things interesting.

We already have practice squad space allotted with 70 man rosters. In fact even  more so since PS+53 man roster = 63 players.

We should have always had 65 man rosters years ago but it hasn't passed in like 4 votes over the years.

Yea, when I thought of a practice squad I was thinking of 10 players that didn't count against your cap as long as they were on the PS. That said the more I thought about it the more I thought it would probably nerf the depth in the league and also mess with the salary cap so I'm probably against it.

EDIT: Just because I'm against it doesn't mean it shouldn't be presented in the Winter meetings and the rest of the league to weigh in on it and potentially figure out how something like this might work with our league.

Edited by Hockey5djh

28 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Also while I respect this, if you really want people to take a break leave the rosters locked through January. Unlocking them literally "starts" the offseason as people begin to make trades and do ERFAs before anything is due.

Don't you dare lock my roster you tyrant.

• Like 1

Again, the break is just for a couple weeks, I'm sure we'll talk about anything that has to pertain to the draft and free agency before those things begin.

Voting on length of season, waivers, how to rule for championship week inactives, thats just adding more to a plate and why we generally try to break it up into two meetings

Winter meeting generally is for things that need to get done ASAP before the draft FA process

non roster stuff generally we can do in the summer as it doesn't affect drafting or FA and keeps the meetings shorter in length

34 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Winter meeting generally is for things that need to get done ASAP before the draft FA process

non roster stuff generally we can do in the summer as it doesn't affect drafting or FA and keeps the meetings shorter in length

This so hard. I’m trying to manage my teams plan for the future while folks wanna talk about lesser issues. 

10 hours ago, Jlash said:

Or how about the times he talked poorly about his own players in the media? Dude seems like a clown to me I'm shocked he got so much attention so quickly.

No denying that's a concern but considering his resume in Miami (I mean the dolphins were a 2-4 win team the last 2 years IMO) he's a solid hire and if he can develop Darnold, shouldn't be an issue.

Plus if he's throwing his players under the bus in public he's 100% the next bellicheck.