BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

4 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

He did get 3D'ed in favor of Josh Rosen....so to answer your question: in the Bizzaro Dynasty League world. 

More than one scenario where Rosen is a backup next year

Good Evening Folks, welcome to another addition of BDL Prime Time News, I am Wes Zbarra.  I had the chance recently to sit down again with  Wes Gabriel, the owner of the Williamsport Soul Reavers for another Q&A session.  He had some interesting things to say.

Good Evening Wes G, last time we spoke we talked about your newness to the league, your draft preparation, and possible presence in free agency.  This time around I would like to dive deeper into the mind behind the maneuvering.

When you took over what was at the time known as the Sydney Dingos, what was your first impression of the team?

My initial impression I suppose was that I viewed it as a roster of which an individual had sacrificed all cap space and draft capital to create.  Putting a few elite players in key positions to succeed in the now rather than building for the sake of a long term future. The issue I saw right off the bat is that this team had suffered from multiple injuries in key spots and it really made the lack of sufficient depth shine through.

So in your opinion the Dingos were in win now mode and if they didn't win, they would potentially be viewed as a poor or even failed team.

You acted quickly to make several trades.  I'd like to talk to you about those trades.  First of all, you traded several offensive linemen.  Let's talk about the motivation behind those moves, what was it?

Bryan Bulaga, Max Unger, Brandon Brooks, and others, they were all good players, but many of those guys had prior injuries and huge contracts.  My goal was to get cheaper options and draft picks.  Honestly, I did that and I don't feel like my offensive line has lowered its talent level much.

You also traded some big time stars in Lavonte David, Marcus Peters, and Mike Williams.  Isn't this going to hurt your chances of success? Any buyers, or sellers, regret?

Will it hurt my chances of success? I don't believe ultimately it will.  I am confident in my ability as a General Manager.  I get that these are 3 really talented players and in each of those guys' new homes I think they'll have great success.  Having said that, I got really good value back for each of them, addressed some important areas of depth, expanding even upon the depth I have at Wide Receiver, Offensive Line, and I shuffled around my Linebackers because of a change in scheme.  You can't get rewards without risk, it's that simple.  

Who do you truly view as the biggest competition for your team? I know last time you said everyone, but lets be honest, there has got to be one team more than any other that you think will really challenge this squad.

I have to say Louisiana because honestly they are what I aspire this team to be.  They are young, full of potential, boom or bust type, and if all of their guys are boom, they are going to be tough to beat.  If it weren't for the QB position, I might say OKC, but..yeah there is that.

What about Portland? You don't view them as a threat?

I said what I said.  Louisiana beyond that, inside of my division, the only other team that concerns me is my own. 

Do you feel this team is capable of winning a championship?

Not really.  I do feel we can be competitive but I don't expect to come in here, make major changes and suddenly win a championship. I'm confident, not delusional.

If you could say one thing to the rest of the league what would it be?

Same thing I said when you asked me that question last time.  Please under estimate me.

Thank you Wes for your time, I greatly appreciate it and I look forward to sitting down with you in the future.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

In the world that he still struggles with accuracy and has been to exactly 1 SB in which he played like dog crap.

If only we had more guys like Joe Flacco who show up in the super bowl.

• Like 2