BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

I know that I traded most of my draft capital for next year but I have been playing My Hand by a risk-reward mentality since I got here and I am frankly very pleased with the fact that I got three of my top 10 Big Board prospects.

Cody Ford is actually a guy in my opinion that has some ability to play tackle in the NFL he's probably more of a natural guard in the NFL but according to some NFL executives they actually view him as a right tackle. He did play tackle in college but he has the makings Avene an excellent guard in the NFL it pretty much solidifies my offensive line on the inside and allows me to move Cody whitehair from guard back to Center. I get that Devin bush is an inside linebacker and that in this day and age they are somewhat less important but he is also a sideline-to-sideline linebacker who can be an inside linebacker in a 3-4 or 4-3 with good coverage skills and he's a good tackler. He isn't as fast as Devin White and like Devin White I think he's a bit small. In fact he is actually 2 in shorter than Devin White goodbye I also have a very strong secondary to support his size

Edited by wwhickok

My clueless draft grades:

1.1 - New Orleans - Nick Bosa, EDGE: A / I think Kyler Murray is a better prospect than Darnold or Allen were last year, but aside from that, I don't have an issue with this pick, as Nick Bosa seems like the best defensive player of this draft

1.2 - Berlin - Quinnan Williams, DT: A- / Williams is one of the best players of this draft as well, I don't have an issue with this pick. I question the fact that an interior DLineman was taken that high however. Still can't fault Rags on this one.

1.3 - New Orleans - Josh Allen, EDGE: B- / I believe Josh Allen will end up being a solid NFL player. However, I don't think he has elite bend or versatility and, while you can't question his production in the SEC, he is not as complete as previous top selected pass rushers were imho. I think he was selected a few spots too high.

1.4 - Seoul - Kyler Murray, QB: N/A / Can't grade my own pick

1.5 - Wichita - DK Metcalf, WR: B / In a draft that is not the best in terms of top quality, I'm not surprised some teams will reach for upside like this is the case here. Metcalf has elite potential, but his production hasn't been here (though Ole Miss offense is crap). I don't mind this pick, but there are a couple of prospects I would have selected higher.

1.6 - Anchorage - Ed Oliver, DT: B+ / I have concerns about Oliver, and he's definitely to light to face double teams in the NFL, but in the right scheme he could be a really good player in the NFL. Still a tad too high for my taste.

1.7 - Wichita - TJ Hockenson, TE: A+ / Hockenson might be, imho, the best prospect in this draft, all positions included. And the TE position may not carry the positional value of an edge rusher for instance, the lack of quality players in the NFL at this position make TEs in high demand. I love this pick for Wichita.

1.8 - Anchorage - Dwayne Haskins, QB: D / Haskins could have a future in the NFL, but I don't think he's ever going to be an elite QB in the NFL, and that doesn't carry much value in BDL. Trading up for a QB is fine, I just don't love Haskins in particular.

1.9 - Camden - Montez Sweat, EDGE: A / Sweat was the 6th player of my 25 men BB, so that's a good pick for Camden. He's a bit raw, but his elite athleticism could make him one of the best edge rusher in the NFL in a few years. Great value pick for Camden here. Only thing that doesn't make it an A+ is that the player I had 5th on my BB is still there.

1.10 - Ivory Coast - Devin White, LB: B- / I don't love White. Very good athlete, but his instincts and mental makeup are average at best, and that's very important for a LB. Like for Josh Allen, I believe he's going to be a NFL player for years, but with a lot of ups and downs, and I don't think he'll live up to his lofty draft status

1.11 - Carolina - Clelin Ferrell, EDGE, B+ / I think Ferrell is going to be a good, solid player, but I don't know if he will ever be a star either. A tad high for me, especially with another pass rusher I really like who's still available. But not a bad pick either.

1.12 - Berlin - Byron Murphy, CB: D+ / Let's start with the positive. Berlin got Taven Bryan to trade down and avoided taking Haskins. That's good. That's where it stops also. I don't think Murphy is a 1st round corner in the NFL draft, let alone in a BDL draft. I have at least 2 corners rated above him. Murphy, to me, screams slot corner, zone corner at best. Not exactly what I'm looking for in a 12th overall pick

1.13 - Camden - Greedy Williams, CB: A / I don't necessarily love Greedy, but in a bad draft, I don't mind him selected in the first 15 picks, and, as I said for Metcalf, this is where you should reach for upside. Greedy has elite size/speed combo and, while he has a lot of improvements to make, with good coaching and trining he could become an elite CB in the NFL.

1.14 - Williamsport - Brian Burns, EDGE: A/ See above with Greedy.

1.15 - Louisiana - Jawaan Taylor, OT: C+ / I agree with Lukic that a RT is really important in BDL. However, I'd rather start the 20th best LT than the 10th best RT in the NFL on my BDL squad. I don't think Taylor will ever be an elite tackle, so that's hard to justify picking Taylor in the 1st for me, let alone trading up for him (though the value wasn't bad). About a round too high for me

1.16 - Williamsport - Devin Bush, LB: F / Look sometimes you need a reality check. It's very unlikely, given the current status of this team, that Williamsport will end up contending next year. I bet the 1st round pick they traded will be a top 10, likely top 5 pick. Williamsport just gave up a ton to acquire Devin Bush, a guy who, imho, is going to bust hard in the NFL due to poor size and mental makeup. Bad pick, terrible trade

2.1 - Williamsport - Cody Ford, OG: D / I don't mind Ford, I think he could be a good guard in the NFL (though he's not my favourite G prospect. But again, this is way too much to trade. To jump from 2.11 to 1.15, Lukic spent a 4th and a 6th. To make a similar jump, ww used a 5th and a 2nd (let alone the fact that OKC currently has one of worst QB situation in BDL). Too much value. So OK pick, bad trade.

2.2 - Berlin - DeAndre Baker, CB: F / Rags likely won't be pleased with my grades, but I don't think Baker is a starting NFL corner. Big speed concerns imho and I just don't trust him vs NFL receivers in man-to-man.

2.3 - Camden - AJ Brown, WR: F / While the value is a bit better than what WSR has traded, again, with big question mark on offense, I don't think it was wise for JLash to trade his 2020 1st. I'm fully prepared to be wrong, and if there's one thing I hate is doubting a WR Jlash selects given his track record, I just don't see AJ Brown as more than a good slot receiver in the NFL. To trade a likely top 10 pick for him is a big big reach imho.

2.4 - Carolina - Christian Wilkins, INT, B+ / While I have a couple of DTs rated higher, I think Wilkins is good value in the 2nd round. Decent pick for Carolina here.

2.5 - Louisiana - Jeffrey Simmons, INT, A+ / Great trade up, without giving up too much value, and I think Simmons, without his injury, would have been selected in the 1st round. Great pick by Lukic here

2.6 - Berlin - Marquise Brown, WR, B / I didn't scout Brown in depth, so I contemplated not grading this pick. But overall this WR class seem to have a lot of players who can do a couple of things, but aren't complete enough to be WR1 in the NFL. Brown is clearly undersize, but he's a playmaker. It seems a bit high for him, but I don't hate it too much either.

2.7 - Cuba - Rashan Gary, EDGE, A+ / If I could give an A++ I would do it. Gary was the 5th player on my BB. I absolutely love him and I think in the right scheme, he could be a terror in the NFL. Really great value pick from MD4L here

2.8 - Louisiana - Jonah Williams, OT, A / I love Williams if he plays guard. He may lack length to be a laft tackle in the NFL though. So if Lukic was looking for a LT, I think he should have gone a different route. If he was looking for a solid NFL player, that was the right pick.

2.9 - Wichita - Andre Dillard, OT, A- / Dillard has some good traits, but again, I worry about length to be a LT in the NFL.

2.10 - Anchorage - Garrett Bradbury, OC, B- / Trade up value is a bit too high for me. Again I didn't go into Bradbury scouting in depth so I probably shouldn't grade this pick, but he seems to be a decent pick here.

• Like 6

Williams is a left tackle. The arm length concerns are overblown. Thomas, Staley and Peters have shorter arms than him and are 3 of the best tackles of this decade. Trent Williams' are half an inch longer. To overlook Jonah Williams' body of work, technique and intangibles over half an inch is ludicrous. I guess that's the draft.

Edited by WFLukic

17 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Williams is a left tackle. The arm length concerns are overblown. Thomas, Staley and Peters have shorter arms than him and are 3 of the best tackles of this decade. Trent Williams' are half an inch longer. To overlook Jonah Williams' body of work, technique and intangibles over half an inch is ludicrous. I guess that's the draft.

Well short arms can limit you in certain schemes in the NFL, and while I like Jonah Williams, let's not compare his body of work to Joe Thomas' or his athleticism to Jason Peters' either. Both players, as well as Staley/Trent, had elite traits coming out of college. I don't know if Jonah Williams, who has excellent technique as you said, has those elite traits. Don't get me wrong, it's a good pick, and I wouldn't have mind you taking him at 1.15. Not sure he's your franchise LT either though.

I could not disagree more with the great that you just gave Williamsport because first of all the roster that I've built in my opinion is pretty damn good. There is only one team in my division that I even have to compete with because the other one doesn't even have a quarterback worth mentioning. If my pick ends up being top 5 it's going to be because of voter bias and nothing more