BDL Discussion Thread 2019

Jlash

As someone who is new might I be so bold as to suggest that we may want to add this to the docket in an owner's meeting in the near future because I am confused as hell.

We got like five people trying to figure this out and it's still not working. I'm not suggesting any kind of rule change necessarily I'm suggesting the need for a cleaner more clear-cut rule to begin with

Edited by wwhickok

It's one of the things I'm going to try and fix during the summer. Just didn't want to prolong the Owner's meeting with it. Pretty much I think we should get rid of the Average thing and just do the 5th year option like a 3 Up at 75%. Just cleaner and easier to understand IMO. But for now I'm fine doing it the old way this year since I understand it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I mean allow me to be honest. If I've got to get a degree in rocket science every time I want to give a player a 5th year option I will simply never do it

It’s a relatively simple ordeal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PR said:

He only has one year left for his rookie average. You don't backtrack the entire contract.

I'm willing to listen because I'm regularly wrong on these things but how else do you get his IRL rookie average without taking the entire contract and dividing by the 4 years?

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

I find the irony in Hockey (who is always trying to find a loophole for his own deals to be less) trying to slam PR for the most amount of money possible.

Yea....I'm a black and white kinda guy living a gray contract rules BDL world.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I mean allow me to be honest. If I've got to get a degree in rocket science every time I want to give a player a 5th year option I will simply never do it

Psh, I just start throwing numbers around until SirA gets mad at me or Pheltz grumbles and throws his walker.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

I'm willing to listen because I'm regularly wrong on these things but how else do you get his IRL rookie average without taking the entire contract and dividing by the 4 years?

1. You are doing Cap Hit instead of base salary. They are not the same thing. He has made 9,417 over 4 years. If you were to take his entire base salary and average it out it would come down to $2354.26 average.
2. That is again backdating a contract. We have specifically went against backdating contracts. Trying to make up the salary they haven't gotten paid over these past years by including it here doesn't make sense.  

18 minutes ago, PR said:

1. You are doing Cap Hit instead of base salary. They are not the same thing. He has made 9,417 over 4 years. If you were to take his entire base salary and average it out it would come down to $2354.26 average.
2. That is again backdating a contract. We have specifically went against backdating contracts. Trying to make up the salary they haven't gotten paid over these past years by including it here doesn't make sense.  

No it’s based on total contract including signing bonus. We don’t base 3up values or FA 50 percent starting points on base salaries. We base it on the entire contract, signing bonus included. So his average over 4 years should be 6,984,418 per year.