True Detective Season 3

J-ALL-DAY

Good first two episodes. Has promise like S1.

Only thing is I wish there was more humor/levity/light moments. Not a bunch but sprinkled in every once in a while. Both partners are kinda downers. Woody was a good  balance to MM in S1 whereas these fellas are more of the same tone.

6 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I get that, but I mean with the allusions to her "troubled past" where she "did some things shes not proud of with the Panthers" and the constant references to her knowing almost as much about the "story" as Ali does. Like, is that supposed to make me think she was involved in something nefarious in the context of the kidnapping?

I took it as she knows he sees a bunch of crazy stuff as a detective and that she can handle it. Whereas if she was just a teacher with a straight and narrow past, his world would be an overwhelming culture shock to her.  

• Like 1

I liked the "Crooked Spiral" reference by the female documentary maker. A nice little nod to Season One.

The acting in these first two episodes has been great. Ali and Dorf are killing it.

Reddit is already going crazy over all the possible hidden clues. True Detective is truly back.

1 minute ago, Fresh Prince said:

So will is 12 but is a student of the teacher who teaches 8-12?

Presumably she could have taught like grade 4 last year and is now teaching in HS. I thought about that too but I don’t think it’s too important or anything to think about any further. 

48 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

Presumably she could have taught like grade 4 last year and is now teaching in HS. I thought about that too but I don’t think it’s too important or anything to think about any further. 

Yeah just a random thing I noticed and didnt think about her maybe teaching different grades before. 

5 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

Also this is all Hayes retelling the story and in 2015 his memory isn’t quite right there may be a little bit of an unreliable narrator going on. 

Pizzolato said in an interview that he wasn't going down that road.

"If you’re seeing it, it’s reliable. I’m not playing those sorts of games with the audience, where you find out what you saw didn’t really happen, or it was a dream within a dream or something. So he is a reliable narrator."

He has also said that there will be no link with the West Memphis 3 and no link with Season One. Right now the situation with the three older kids may seem like it's similar to the West Memphis 3 ( three outcast kids who are into metal music as the suspects) but they'll move on from it quickly.

Edited by Chinaski_86

19 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Never seen season 1 or 2, but needed something to tide me over until GoT returns. Caught this last night and I'm really intrigued by the first two episodes. Ali is killing it so far in the lead role.

I do have a question though. What's up with the school teacher? I know this is the type of show to throw out multiple red herrings, but I don't understand why they are making her out to be this "mysterious" character.

I dont think the teacher / wife character will flesh out as consequential to the main story line i.e. she wont be involved in the crime or anything like that. No need to walk down that story line alley IMO.

We're seeing her mostly in connection with "Main Character #3" (when he's holding the book or looking at her picture) and the lead detective remembrances of her later in life takes the story to "Main Character #1" - his youngest version. He's suffering from Alzheimer's by this point and I sense she (the book) is a story line method to connect him to previous events. Whether theres come "conflict" in the book about his involvement in the case that led to their separation is unclear but the lead character is clearly troubled by the case and she's a touchstone to it.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kyle21121 said:

Solid first two episodes. I’m back in. And yes season two was that bad. 

Without being hyper critical - it is a TV program after all - season 2 had way too many story lines running parallel to each other.
The corrupt/drunken cop with Father/Son issues.
The female detective with Dad issues causing personal/sexual conflicts about herself.
The closeted gay cop.
And Vince Vaughn - who should never leave comedic platforms - trying to act tough. Unfortunately he neither looked or sounded the part.
All wrapped up in a some modern - all too often told tale of political/police corruption with sexual overtones and a touch of "mystery" thrown in with some guy running around with a crows head on. Too much "stuff" packed in the same package.

IMO the interest / success of season 1 was a story line focused around strong lead characters - and didnt explore each characters personal foibles as deeply as season 2 tried - or at least there werent as many roads (read: characters) to go down as season 2. Critical however was the regional vagaries of the Bayou - local customs etc - that took the story out of the "I've seen this about 1000 times before" folder and added concrete (believable) flavor to the story.

Season 3 setting in the poor south - provides a similar platform. The visuals alone surpass season 2. We'll see how they develop the story.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

True Detective (S3)  -  enjoying it.

The Night Of - excellent IMO. Very well done. Story. Characters. Presentation. Very well done.

Westworld - I gave up on this one. Interesting concept but weak storyline that relied too heavily on people shooting people. I mean, give me a break. As a story line contrivance, continually showing people shooting others is fairly shallow. Once you've told it 50 times - whats the 75th time telling me? There was a HUGE story about the technology and such which was glossed over with the violence and setting (Old West).

The Leftovers - never liked this one and the chain smoking people in white outfits were just too depressing for me LOL.

50 minutes ago, Leader said:

True Detective (S3)  -  enjoying it.

The Night Of - excellent IMO. Very well done. Story. Characters. Presentation. Very well done.

Westworld - I gave up on this one. Interesting concept but weak storyline that relied too heavily on people shooting people. I mean, give me a break. As a story line contrivance, continually showing people shooting others is fairly shallow. Once you've told it 50 times - whats the 75th time telling me? There was a HUGE story about the technology and such which was glossed over with the violence and setting (Old West).

The Leftovers - never liked this one and the chain smoking people in white outfits were just too depressing for me LOL.

Thanks. But I've heard a lot critical acclaim for tNO, WW, and especially tLO.

Edited by freak_of_nature