1. 1. Your grade for Fangio/Kubiak?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Vance
    • Mac

I like the hire but wish Elway would stop being so power hungry and let the man choose his own assistant coaches. If he fails as his first time as a head coach it should at least be the staff that he assembled to put the best team on the field. Not saying that he is going to fail and cant wait to see our defense next year.

4 hours ago, MillerTime81 said:

I like the hire but wish Elway would stop being so power hungry and let the man choose his own assistant coaches. If he fails as his first time as a head coach it should at least be the staff that he assembled to put the best team on the field. Not saying that he is going to fail and cant wait to see our defense next year.

I actually don't think Elway is "power hungry" I just think he is more of an incompetent CEO 

21 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

You know, when Elway became the gm back in 2011 he stressed transparency.  And the worse the  team got the less transparent he became. Coming to a head this offseason when he flat out lies to the fans with the casting a wide net comment. 

It's all PR and it all comes from Ellis.

After the McDisaster they had to be transparent because Mac obfuscated at every turn.

Fast forward to the last 2 weeks and Ellis tells us the hire is all Elway's and he won't be making the decision. Then he meets one-on-one with the candidates until that leaks out so he doesn't travel to Chicago to meet Vic. They put Patrick Smyth on the interview committee. They had reporters having to stake out Centennial airport because the team wouldn't give anyone, outside of team mouthpiece Mike Klis (who Mile High Sports called, "part of the Broncos brain trust"), any information. Then I heard from my deeply-connected beat reporter friend, that the decision was always to find a defensive HC who would handle normal HC duties and run the defense but allow Kubiak carte blanche on the offense, re-creating the Kubiak/Wade arrangement of 2015. It was told to me that "that was the arrangement that made the trust (read: Ellis) most comfortable." 

Elway can only be held accountable for so much of this whole process; he had to work within the framework Ellis set out for him. Now, here's the rub, both factions of the Bowlen family are keenly aware of exactly what happened here, if it doesn't work out, Ellis will be the one who faces reckoning, and rightly so. 

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It's all PR and it all comes from Ellis.

After the McDisaster they had to be transparent because Mac obfuscated at every turn.

Fast forward to the last 2 weeks and Ellis tells us the hire is all Elway's and he won't be making the decision. Then he meets one-on-one with the candidates until that leaks out so he doesn't travel to Chicago to meet Vic. They put Patrick Smyth on the interview committee. They had reporters having to stake out Centennial airport because the team wouldn't give anyone, outside of team mouthpiece Mike Klis (who Mile High Sports called, "part of the Broncos brain trust"), any information. Then I heard from my deeply-connected beat reporter friend, that the decision was always to find a defensive HC who would handle normal HC duties and run the defense but allow Kubiak carte blanche on the offense, re-creating the Kubiak/Wade arrangement of 2015. It was told to me that "that was the arrangement that made the trust (read: Ellis) most comfortable." 

Elway can only be held accountable for so much of this whole process; he had to work within the framework Ellis set out for him. Now, here's the rub, both factions of the Bowlen family are keenly aware of exactly what happened here, if it doesn't work out, Ellis will be the one who faces reckoning, and rightly so. 

So essentially ellis is our defacto gm?

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

I actually don't think Elway is "power hungry" I just think he is more of an incompetent CEO 

Agree. He got a huge ego because so much fell right when they signed Manning. It turned them into an instant success and attracted top free agents like Ware to sign for a chance to win a ring with Manning.

Post Manning, he's been pretty awful. Trying to force his way to winning and reloading vs. rebuilding. And let's face it, Keenum isn't a guy who can take you deep into the playoffs and he has no plan or ability to get a franchise QB. I can't see him lasting much longer.

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agree. He got a huge ego because so much fell right when they signed Manning. It turned them into an instant success and attracted top free agents like Ware to sign for a chance to win a ring with Manning.

Post Manning, he's been pretty awful. Trying to force his way to winning and reloading vs. rebuilding. And let's face it, Keenum isn't a guy who can take you deep into the playoffs and he has no plan or ability to get a franchise QB. I can't see him lasting much longer.

Trying to cheapen Elway's 2015 Super Bowl is weak and false but pretty standard. That was not an instant success at all. It was created with great drafting, great free agency, and coaching decisions etc. It's been trash since then though. 

17 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Elway put his foot down on Dennison coming back.

Gotta give a ton of credit to John here. 

Credit .... the only reason we hired Vangio was to have a co coordinator head coach thing. And it all erodes after the hire it makes no sense.

Archived