Would The Marlins Be A Playof Team With Jose Fernandez?

devils1854

Even with awful pitching, somehow the Marlins are at 62-62 at the moment, 5.5 games out of the last Wild Card Spot.

We all know how great Jose was, and he was probably just scratching the surface of what he could have been before his death.

The Marlins have dealt with some injuries this year to Edinson Volquez and Wei-Yin Chen, but they have also trotted out some awful starters this year.

Good and the meh

Dan Strailey
26 starts, 2.2 WAR, 3.83/4.20
Edinson Volquez(out for year)
17 starts, 1.0 WAR, 4.19/4.33
Jose Urina(didnt start until May)
21 starts, 0.4 WAR, 3.68/5.01
Wei-Yin Chen(injured since May)
5 starts, 0.3 WAR, 4.33/4.21
Vance Worley(spot starter since May)
9 starts, 0.7 WAR, 4.82/3.74
Adam Coney
13 starts, 0.7 WAR, 4.93/4.67

The Bad

Jeff Locke
7 starts, 0.3 WAR, 8.16/4.54
Chris O'Grady
6 starts, 0.1 WAR, 5.47/.4.96
Justin Nicolino
7 starts, 0.0 WAR, 4.11/5.42
Tom Koehler
12 starts, -0.8 WAR, 7.92/6.89

Now some of those bad starts by the bad pitchers would have been had even with Fernandez, but he could have gone out on the mound somewhere between 22-25 times this year.

Do you think it is safe to say that the team would at least be +3 in the win column if Jose was still alive, with possibly a couple more wins in the last 40 games?

To answer the OP I think 3 wins better than the current record is an EASY yes considering what the Marlins have been trotting out there all year and Jose's talent level. Considering he was a 6+ WAR player prior to TJ its not hard to fathom he could get back to that levels 2 years removed from it.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:39 PM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Don't even want to think about it. 

I'm still sickened that he's gone. Hurts to even read his name tbh.

Did you personally know him or have some other similar situation happen in your life? I never understood the extreme reactions to the loss of public figures like this unless there is some personal connection.

6 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

To answer the OP I think 3 wins better than the current record is an EASY yes considering what the Marlins have been trotting out there all year and Jose's talent level. Considering he was a 6+ WAR player prior to TJ its not hard to fathom he could get back to that levels 2 years removed from it.

Did you personally know him or have some other similar situation happen in your life? I never understood the extreme reactions to the loss of public figures like this unless there is some personal connection.

No but he was an up and coming electric superstar that played the game that I love and means a lot to me. It's not like I'm staying up all night crying, but it genuinely did feel like a punch in the gut and it feels awful knowing that 3 lives could have been saved and that we could have been seeing arguably the beatbox personality in the game play for two decades with an absolutely filthy curveball.

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

Dave Cameron explains this better than anyone here can:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/i-cant-wait-to-tell-my-son-about-jose-fernandez/

Normally I'd pull out a quote from the article, but this was such a good piece it's worth (re-)reading in its entirely.

Archived