Into the Offseason - 2019

Leoric

18 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I disagree with the trade down scenario, unless it just costs too much to trade up.  I mean, if you're telling me its gonna cost a couple day three picks to move up and secure a quality offensive tackle then sign me up.  That third day of the draft is a crap shoot anyway for the most part.  And looking at our Oline

LT- Okung - 32 years old, injury history that we've been lucky to avoid for the most part, and loomimg 16 million in 2020

LG - Feeney - Below average

C - Pouncey - 30 years old, injury history that again we were lucky to avoid last year

RG - Schofield - Below average

RT - Tevi - I won't say anything

This offensive line is in  dire need of some talent in my opinion.  Hoping that Lamp sees his potential this year, that would help one of the guard spots.  Then if we came away with one of Taylor, Dillard, Williams or Ford and maybe double back in the 2nd on Jenkins, Deiter or( insert quality lineman of your choice) that would go a long way in helping solidify the line in my opinion. For clarification, I'm not talking about mortgaging the farm to move up, I'm talking about a few spots up in the 20's

I was referring more to LBC and his willingness to give up a 3rd to move up. I would not do that and I don't think TT should either. I understand where you're coming from and if it was a couple of late third day picks like a 6th and 7th to get a quality future LT, I would be for it as well. There's really 2 reasons why I prefer to stay or move down:

1) We have a lot of needs outside of just oline including LB, S, and DL.

2) Guys like Peter King and Albert Breer feel that this draft is deep in certain positions that we need, especially in the 2nd and third round. I would try to trade down if possible to pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd. If we need to move up, then it should be within those two rounds.

Of course, this whole situation could depend on how well Lamp does. If he can solidify at least one side of the guard position (either LG or RG), we just have to worry about the other OG. Pouncey at least has a backup with Quessenberry. And a tackle isn't as important for a pocket passer like Rivers. He's like Brady and Brees in his ability to evade the outside pass rush as long as he has a pocket to step up into. It's why I feel that we can delay getting a tackle if we can improve the interior line first.

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

I was referring more to LBC and his willingness to give up a 3rd to move up. I would not do that and I don't think TT should either. I understand where you're coming from and if it was a couple of late third day picks like a 6th and 7th to get a quality future LT, I would be for it as well. There's really 2 reasons why I prefer to stay or move down:

1) We have a lot of needs outside of just oline including LB, S, and DL.

2) Guys like Peter King and Albert Breer feel that this draft is deep in certain positions that we need, especially in the 2nd and third round. I would try to trade down if possible to pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd. If we need to move up, then it should be within those two rounds.

Of course, this whole situation could depend on how well Lamp does. If he can solidify at least one side of the guard position (either LG or RG), we just have to worry about the other OG. Pouncey at least has a backup with Quessenberry. And a tackle isn't as important for a pocket passer like Rivers. He's like Brady and Brees in his ability to evade the outside pass rush as long as he has a pocket to step up into. It's why I feel that we can delay getting a tackle if we can improve the interior line first.

I gotcha.  Just off the top of my head though, what have the third rounders netted us over the TT years?  '13 Allen, '14 Watt, '15 Tuerk, 16' Mager, '17 Feeney, '18 Jones.  Allen is obviously a big hit,  I won't close the book on Feeney quite yet and Jones looks promising.  Safe to say the other guys didn't pan out.  Our 3rd is dang near a 4th anyway this year.  From what I've read there are around 18-20 true first rounders this year.  If I had to give up our 3rd to net one of those guys, I think I'd do it.  I'd rather land the sure thing than wind up with a late first (thats really a 2nd round value) and then roll the dice in the third.  Just my opinion though and giving up the third would be dependent upon landing one of those 18-20 guys.  Outside of that, I agree with you, I keep the picks or possibly slide down if the opportunity is there

Edited by BoltsFan937

21 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I gotcha.  Just off the top of my head though, what have the third rounders netted us over the TT years?  '13 Allen, '14 Watt, '15 Tuerk, 16' Mager, '17 Feeney, '18 Jones.  Allen is obviously a big hit,  I won't close the book on Feeney quite yet and Jones looks promising.  Safe to say the other guys didn't pan out.  Our 3rd is dang near a 4th anyway this year.  From what I've read there are around 18-20 true first rounders this year.  If I had to give up our 3rd to net one of those guys, I think I'd do it.  I'd rather land the sure thing than wind up with a late first (thats really a 2nd round value) and then roll the dice in the third.  Just my opinion though and giving up the third would be dependent upon landing one of those 18-20 guys.  Outside of that, I agree with you, I keep the picks or possibly slide down if the opportunity is there

What have the 2nd rounders netted us over the years? Should we get rid of those as well? '13 Teo, '14 Attaochu, '15 Perryman (can't stay on the field), '16 Henry (can't stay on the field), '17 Lamp (never go on the field), '18 Nwoshu (at least got on the field). Same thing with the first rounders until recently. Heck, MW looked like a bust until this season, and MG will probably not be a Charger after this season due to the under valuation of RBs.

The point is you can't look at things in a vacuum like that. There's a 50 percent bust rate in the top 10 alone, and the probability goes down more and more the deeper it gets into the draft. You still want to hang on to as many draft picks as you can because it gives you more of a chance to hit on a draft pick, which is crucial since they help your team at an affordable salary cap. Trading up is a risky proposition, at least when TT does it. And it's his willingness to do it so much early in his career that annoyed me greatly. His drafts have gotten better now that he's stayed put IMO.

Anyone else getting the feeling that, based off Telesco's SOP of earmarking a particular position as his 1st round pick target (only to be swayed by a Top 5 prospect like Derwin James falling to him), that if Philon isn't re-signed in the next week or two that we might actually finally see TT draft a DT early?  At this point it feels like it's definitely shaping up to be a tackle, just a case of if it's offensive or defensive.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Anyone else getting the feeling that, based off Telesco's SOP of earmarking a particular position as his 1st round pick target (only to be swayed by a Top 5 prospect like Derwin James falling to him), that if Philon isn't re-signed in the next week or two that we might actually finally see TT draft a DT early?  At this point it feels like it's definitely shaping up to be a tackle, just a case of if it's offensive or defensive.

As long as he doesn't reach, I'm fine with building up the trenches. I would rather have Liuget back on a cheaper deal than Philon actually.

Though given our inability to get someone like  Gipson or Thomas in FA, I also wouldn't be surprised if he goes that route at the 28th pick either.

Edited by Xenos

Resigned Adrian Phillips. 

We all expected it but it’s nice to know it’s done. Definitely feel the LBC push towards a Tackle. Likely more heavily weighted towards defensive then offensive. Would love to see Lieuget brought back at a friendly number. Injuries are of course a concern but I doubt he has the same success elsewhere. Right now I see needs as:

DT, T, LB, CB, G, TE, S, DE, RB, WR, QB

13 hours ago, The LBC said:

I can see offensive tackle, which makes sense. Sam Tevi is a backup at best and Okung is 32. However, I am not feeling first round DT, historically it is not a position that rookies are really impactful on day one.  

Edited by game3525

Only a one year deal for AP?  What kind of snake oil is TT selling these guys to get em to take 1-2 yr(with option) deals?  

As far as the draft, I could see us going a number of different ways.  I think the need lies along the offensive and defensive lines but you could make a case for a safety (particularly single high), cornerback, or linebacker.  Heck, if the value was right, I’d even consider tight end. Outside of Hunter, we have a bunch of plumbers playing that position 

1 hour ago, BoltsFan937 said:

Only a one year deal for AP?  What kind of snake oil is TT selling these guys to get em to take 1-2 yr(with option) deals?  

As far as the draft, I could see us going a number of different ways.  I think the need lies along the offensive and defensive lines but you could make a case for a safety (particularly single high), cornerback, or linebacker.  Heck, if the value was right, I’d even consider tight end. Outside of Hunter, we have a bunch of plumbers playing that position 

Apparently it was good enough snake oil to get TT extended again.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26276208

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Apparently it was good enough snake oil to get TT extended again.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26276208

LOL, for the record, I like TT.  I think he's done a great job, especially considering the re-location circumstances and all thats surrounded that situation.  Usually, or maybe I'm misstaken, guys look for multi-year deals in free agency with guaranteed money?  Not sure how TT gets these guys on one year deals with minimal commitment.  It's not a knock against Telesco, just figured guys would be looking for more security.  This is more about Perryman and Phillips (the younger guys) not Davis or Mebane who are in the twilight years

2 minutes ago, BoltsFan937 said:

LOL, for the record, I like TT.  I think he's done a great job, especially considering the re-location circumstances and all thats surrounded that situation.  Usually, or maybe I'm misstaken, guys look for multi-year deals in free agency with guaranteed money?  Not sure how TT gets these guys on one year deals with minimal commitment.  It's not a knock against Telesco, just figured guys would be looking for more security.  This is more about Perryman and Phillips (the younger guys) not Davis or Mebane who are in the twilight years

Perryman makes sense since he's injury prone and hasn't played a full season in the NFL yet. Phillips is interesting because he's very scheme limited in the sense that he's a weird safety/linebacker hybrid in Bradley's system (can't really play FS or SS in the traditional sense). I suspect that both are using this season as prove it deals to get richer contracts next offseason.

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

So looking at the upcoming draft, I put together a list of names that will likely be available at our pick at 28.  Obviously there's no way of telling is someone falls (like Derwin last year), but assuming the draft follows the player rankings (or close to) these guys should be around our pick

Offensive Tackle - Dalton Risner, Kaleb McGary 

Interior Offensive Line - Chris Lindstrom, Erik McCoy, 

Middle Linebacker - Mack Wilson

Defensive Line - Dexter Lawrence, Jerry Tillery, Jeffery Simmons

Saftey - Nasir Adderley, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Taylor Rapp

Anyone wanna bang the table for one of these guys or someone I forgot or left off the list?  I'm not crazy about Risner or McGary personally, but I know some think more highly of them than I do.  Not a huge fan of Rapp either, but I could go for anyone else on the list

On 3/16/2019 at 11:52 AM, Boltstrikes said:

I think Phillips is replacing Addae and will either get paid handsomely next year or show he isn’t starter material. 

I don't see it unless something comes up. They don't play the same positions.