Preseason Game #3: vs Dallas

NickButera

Not making the trip at all were linebacker Cory James and wide receiver Seth Roberts. Del Rio would only say they were “back home taking care of business.”

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/8/27/16211458/raiders-injury-news-david-amerson-jamize-olawale-leave-third-preseason-game-hurt

That explains no James and why Patterson was WR3.

Defense aside, there were some things to be excited about in this game. The offensive rhythm looks much better with Dowling than Musgrave. The succession of plays feels both natural and unpredictable. Lynch, Washington, and Richard all looked very good which bodes well for how the o-line is clicking across the board in the run game (something that was inconsistent last year). Further, the additions of both Cook and Patterson make the offense feel much more diverse and volatile.

Regarding Melifonwu: it seems his role is at nickel backer with the starters, but he did play more traditional single high and two high safety roles in the second half. I did notice the starting defense played much more two high, coinciding what we saw toward the end of last season. Lastly, Shalom Luani looks great as a depth pick who could evolve into a starter for either Oakland or another team down the line.

If Joseph cannot show against the pass as he develops, it's not entirely out of the question that our starters could be Luani and Obi at some point. It's light years too early to make any judgements about that, but the assumption that Luani stays behind Joseph because of draft status forever is merely an assumption. We'll see. At least unlike previous years we now have some genuine hope at safety. The loss of Nelson sooner or later will not be a big deal I think. At one time we would've been really up the creek without him.

Sure would be nice to see Conley, and then see Conley excel as a 1st rounder should. Seeing a good player at CB would provide much needed relief from the junk play we have grown accustomed to.

1 hour ago, holyghost said:

If Joseph cannot show against the pass as he develops, it's not entirely out of the question that our starters could be Luani and Obi at some point. It's light years too early to make any judgements about that, but the assumption that Luani stays behind Joseph because of draft status forever is merely an assumption. We'll see. At least unlike previous years we now have some genuine hope at safety. The loss of Nelson sooner or later will not be a big deal I think. At one time we would've been really up the creek without him.

Sure would be nice to see Conley, and then see Conley excel as a 1st rounder should. Seeing a good player at CB would provide much needed relief from the junk play we have grown accustomed to.

Yeah I thought the same thing.  I mean its clearly way too early from this speculation (KJ still early in his career, Luani not yet playing regular season) but I could see some form of a 3 safety rotation between that group

11 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Yeah I thought the same thing.  I mean its clearly way too early from this speculation (KJ still early in his career, Luani not yet playing regular season) but I could see some form of a 3 safety rotation between that group

I would tap the brakes on Luani a bit. He's played great against back ups but playing against #1s is an entirely different thing. He's got potential but he's still a 7th rounder. As a 3rd safety I'd like to see some looks but not as a replacement for KJ yet. 

I think we are forgetting how well K. Joseph played last season in his limited capacity.  He may not be doing very well currently, but last year he was as sure a tackler as any at the safety position.  Plus its only his second year in the league, we wont really know what he is until his 3rd year IMO.  I just think (and hope) that our poor defense is due to the fact that we are using vanilla schemes and not because of our team's actual talent level on defense.  We wont really know what we have until our 1st team plays a full 60 minutes.

Quick edit:  It took 4 years in college for K. Joseph to have 5 picks in limited play, I wouldn't be surprised if he started doing the same in year 3 and/or 4 in the NFL.

32 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I think we are forgetting how well K. Joseph played last season in his limited capacity.  He may not be doing very well currently, but last year he was as sure a tackler as any at the safety position.  Plus its only his second year in the league, we wont really know what he is until his 3rd year IMO.  I just think (and hope) that our poor defense is due to the fact that we are using vanilla schemes and not because of our team's actual talent level on defense.  We wont really know what we have until our 1st team plays a full 60 minutes.

Quick edit:  It took 4 years in college for K. Joseph to have 5 picks in limited play, I wouldn't be surprised if he started doing the same in year 3 and/or 4 in the NFL.

Certainly, we'll see. I am sure Joseph will get a full 4 years to show out.

My statements are only meant to counter most statements about Joseph, those raving about his play. He's a great tackler, hits great, great run defender. But up to now he has not played the pass well in any capacity, against the man or ball. Last year included. I'm not forgetting anything about last year, last year he was weak against the pass as well. Coverage was OK at best, limited passes defensed, almost no INTs other than a gift wrapped lob which he seemed uncomfortable even catching. 

To the above poster regarding Luani, me and Silver&bBlack88 went out of our way to say it is way too early to make judgements one way or another. We know that. 

I think I need to clarify on my thoughts on Joseph. I like him alot and want to like him even more than I do. I'm just concerned and feel it is rightly so. In my mind fans, coaches, and writers have been raving about him generally without exception. Mostly on the strength of solid hits and excellent tackling. But while that is going on noone seems to be mentioning 2 touchdowns he conceded in 3 preseason games to TEs that were not even contested catches. In roughly 3 halves of play that is a terrible rate of success.

Or generally how he's not at all sticky in coverage and hasn't show much if anything regarding ball skills or reading and jumping routes in more than a year now. It just worries me a bit that everyone raves while half of his game (the far more important half for a safety) looks to be floundering. I feel as if I am not watching the same games as everyone else. Or does everyone else seem to be ignoring what is going on or blinded about it?

Archived