Pre Combine MOCK (use all avenues)

squire12

Green Bay starts with ~$40 M in cap space

Cut

--Tramon Williams -- 2019 savings $4.75M ($44.75M)

Free Agency

RFA

--Geronimo Allison -- Tendered as Right of First Refusal, ~$1M  ($43.5M)

ERFA (net cap charge with this group would be minimal with canceling of rule 51 bottom roster salary)

-- Lucas Patrick

--Justin McCray

--Reggie Gilbert

--Robert Tonyan

--Jake Kumerow

--Kentrell Brice

UFA

--Bashaud Breeland -- 3 years, $18M with $7.5M SB-- 2019 cap hit $4.5M ($39M)

--AJ Cann OG Jax -- 4 years, $22M, with $9.0M SB -- 2019 cap hit $4.5M ($34.5M)

--Cole Beasley WR DAL -- 3 years $12M with $4.5M SB -- 2019 cap hit $3.5M ($31M)

--Adrian Amos FS CHI -- 4 years, $36M with $16M SB -- 2019 cap hit $7.0M ($26M

--Preston Smith EDGE WAS -- 5 years, $60M with $20M SB -- 2019 cap hit $9.0M ($17M)

TRADE

GB sends pick 4.114 to TB for Cameron Brate.  TB needs cap space and moving Brate clears $7.0M.  Brate has no remaining SB due on his contract. Would provide some insurance with Jimmy Graham and allow a more potent 2 TE packages.  2019 cap hit $7.0M ($10M)

Draft picks total cap charge around $5M ($5M)

DRAFT

1.12 -- Jeffery Simmons DT Miss State  6’3” 300

Deep DL class allows Simmons to slide to mid first round.  Pairing with Clark and Daniels should be a big help and with a rotation of Lowry, M Adams, Lancaster the DL looks much better than the end of 2018

1.32 -- Traded to JAX for picks 2.38 and 4.102

JAX looking to move up into the late first to secure a QB

2.38 -- (FROM JAX)Yodny Cajuste OT West Virginia  6’5 315

Developmental OT that is viewed as a potential replacement for Bulaga in 2020.  

2.44 -- Charles Omenihu DT Texas  6’6” 275

Long and powerful, spent a lot of time in opposing teams backfield, registering 18TFL and 9.5 sacks in 2018.   Very possible he does not last this long after the combine.

3.75 -- Joe Jackson EDGE Miami  6’5” 258

Long and athletic with a high motor.  Needs work with hands and refinement of pass rush moves.

4.102 --(FROM JAX) Johnathan Abram SS Miss State 6’0” 210

More of a box safety, with the addition of Amos to play the deep safety, GB looks to secure the run support safety and adds special teams value.

4.114 -- Traded to TB for Cameron Brate

4.118 -- Reggie Floyd S Virginia Tech 6’0” 221

Projects as a backup to Amos at FS with good size and range.  Has some tools, but needs to learn better play/route recognition before being trusted in the deep safety position.

5.151 -- Julian Blackmon CB Utah  6’1” 190

Long and athletic, but needs to add some weight to likely hold up against more physical NFL WR.  

6.187 -- Preston Williams WR Colorado State 6’4” 209

Very productive 2018 season after transferring from Tennessee.  Fits the mold of the longer WR that GB selected in the 2018 draft.   

6.196-- Jon Baker IOL Boston College  6’3” 300

Dart throw IOL.  Will be interested to see his movement skills at the combine.

7.228 -- Ty Johnson RB Maryland 5’10” 208

Compact build with thick lower body.

Depth Chart       

Offense       

QB:       Aaron Rodgers    - Deshone Kizer    - Tim Boyle

RB:       Aaron Jones    - Jamal Williams    - Ty Johnson

WR1:        Geronomo Allison    - Cole Beasley - Marquez Valdez-Scantling    - Preston Williams

WR2:        Davante Adams    - Equinimous St Brown    - J'Mon Moore - Jake Kumerow

TE:       Jimmy Graham    - Cameron Brate  - Robert Tonyan  -

LT:       David Bakhtiari    - Jason Spriggs  

LG:       Lane Taylor    - Lucas Patrick   - Jon Baker

C:      Corey Linsley    -

RG:       AJ Cann -    Justin McCray

RT:       Brian Bulaga    - Yodny Cajuste   

Defense       

LE:       Mike Daniels    - Charles Omenihu - James Looney   

NT:       Kenny Clark    - Tyler Lancaster     -

RE:       Jeffery Simmons     - Dean Lowry - Montravious Adams   

LOLB:        Preston Smith -    - Joe Jackson -    Reggie Gilbert

ILB:        Oren Burks  - James Crawford  

ILB:        Blake Martinez    - Antonio Morrison     -

ROLB:        Kyler Fackrell    - Kendall Donnerson   

CB1:        Kevin King  - Josh Jackson     

CB2:        Bashaud Breeland    - Julian Blackmon    

CB3:        Jaire Alexander    - Tony Brown

SS:      Josh Jones  - Johnathan Abram    - Kentrell Brice

FS:       Adrian Amos    - Reggie Floyd

Defense       

K     Mason Crosby

P     JK Scott  

LS      Hunter Bradley   

IR

Nick Perry.....because what else would you expect.

Love it.

any draft that’s heavy on front 7 early on I am going to love. 

The defense is probably another year from where you want it to be but this off-season would be progress. 

One thing I have noticed that’s being missed in some mocks is the back up QB spot. Are we rolling with Kizer again? I am not confident he could win a game if Rodgers goes down with a concussion or something. Not sure what’s out there on the market but I’d like to hear people thoughts on the matter. 

3 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

Love it.

any draft that’s heavy on front 7 early on I am going to love. 

The defense is probably another year from where you want it to be but this off-season would be progress. 

One thing I have noticed that’s being missed in some mocks is the back up QB spot. Are we rolling with Kizer again? I am not confident he could win a game if Rodgers goes down with a concussion or something. Not sure what’s out there on the market but I’d like to hear people thoughts on the matter. 

There are a lot of DL prospects that look good.  Almost went with another in the 4th.  Could move on from Daniels if the front office felt the system, injury and production warranted that decision.

I would like to see what LaFleur could do with a different offense for Kizer.  I considered one late, but decided against it.

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

I would like to see what LaFleur could do with a different offense for Kizer.

great work on the mock

Very interested to see what happens at QB2 next season.
Will the Packers opt for a veteran back up who has experience in the LaFleur offense or will they continue to groom Kizer in the new offense ?
Having  player(s) on the team who know this scheme is useful and the back-up QB might be a good spot for that on install day

I know I'll get hate because a lot of people love the front/trench guys on this board don't think we should use a top pick on a DL (at least our 1). 

Clark- Stud

Daniels- high end

Lancaster/Adams/Lowry- serviceable net neutral players with some upside

Unless we are going to play 4 man front this year, I'd say if we were looking for someone, it would be either a rehash minute eater, or a development guy.

I'd also be disappointed if our OLBs going into next year were Preston Smith/Fackrell and a third round rookie. Its a start since the organization has ignored the position since we've only put in a third round pick in the position since 2012 (Fack), but still isn't enough.

I also don't know if Omenihu is really a good fit for us (too lean to really play end, not loose enough to play OLB). In round 2 you draft guys that can play still. He's a high end development projection (round 3)

21 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I know I'll get hate because a lot of people love the front/trench guys on this board don't think we should use a top pick on a DL (at least our 1). 

Clark- Stud

Daniels- high end

Unless we are going to play 4 man front this year, I'd say if we were looking for someone, it would be either a rehash minute eater, or a development guy.

I'd also be disappointed if our OLBs going into next year were Preston Smith/Fackrell and a third round rookie. Its a start since the organization has ignored the position since we've only put in a third round pick in the position since 2012 (Fack), but still isn't enough.

I also don't know if Omenihu is really a good fit for us (too lean to really play end, not loose enough to play OLB). In round 2 you draft guys that can play still. He's a high end development projection (round 3)

Tend to agree.  I'd much rather bring Wilkerson back (who I'm not a huge fan of) on an affordable deal than using our #12 pick on the position.   DT is our best position group right now with Clark and Daniels leading the way.  Would much prefer someone that could rush from the edge whether it's with his hand in the dirt at DE or standing at OLB.  

38 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Clark- Stud

Daniels- high end

I get what you are saying, but I see the DL as a strong position in this draft.  Daniels is a FA after 2019 and getting a premium pick as a replacement makes sense to me.  I am not sure that Pettine would not use more 4 man fronts if those players were able to get pressure on the QB without needing to bring pressure from a 5th rusher.  Pettine has said he will mold the defense to fit the players, so giving him those options is the thought process.

Regarding the OLB, Perry is still on the roster, I tried to make a joke and put him on IR vs being on the depth chart.  

I see a lot of options in players and fronts with this group of player in the front in line rushers. 

LE:       Mike Daniels    - Charles Omenihu - James Looney   

NT:       Kenny Clark    - Tyler Lancaster     -

RE:       Jeffery Simmons     - Dean Lowry - Montravious Adams   

LOLB:        Preston Smith -    - Joe Jackson -    Reggie Gilbert

ROLB:        Kyler Fackrell    - Nick Perry  - Kendall Donnerson   

It might be a better 4-3 D with Fackrell playing off the ball.

12 minutes ago, SSG said:

Tend to agree.  I'd much rather bring Wilkerson back (who I'm not a huge fan of) on an affordable deal than using our #12 pick on the position.   DT is our best position group right now with Clark and Daniels leading the way.  Would much prefer someone that could rush from the edge whether it's with his hand in the dirt at DE or standing at OLB.  

Similar to what I replied to @pacman5252,  this DL draft class is deep and good.  Grabbing 2 early is a smart thing to do IMO.  if you bring back Wilkerson, it is likely for just a 1 year prove it deal, so after 2019, you have Clark, Adams, Lancaster as player under contract.  I don't see Daniels getting a 3rd contract, and he is also coming back from an injury, so neither of us know how that might play out and affect him in 2019.

These DL picks are more about 2020 than 2019.  

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Similar to what I replied to @pacman5252,  this DL draft class is deep and good.  Grabbing 2 early is a smart thing to do IMO.  if you bring back Wilkerson, it is likely for just a 1 year prove it deal, so after 2019, you have Clark, Adams, Lancaster as player under contract.  I don't see Daniels getting a 3rd contract, and he is also coming back from an injury, so neither of us know how that might play out and affect him in 2019.

These DL picks are more about 2020 than 2019.  

I see the argument for 1, I think 2 is not worth it. A few rebuttles;

-If you look at most position groups, there is always uncertainty or holes looking 2 years out in the NFL. By this time next year, realistically a few of the following will happen; Bulaga is gone and we have a hole, maybe our 2nd year wrs haven't taken a step, TE looks uncertain, our G position could still suck, ILB might still just be Blake, Fackrell might regress back to the mean and our OLB position will still suck, S could still be a question. It is really hard to just justify grabbing 2 guys at a position that we are looking okay at right now with day 1-2 picks.

-Unless we are going to go 4-3 we only need 4 startable guys and 1-2 guys that aren't completely holes. By drafting 2 you are admitting Dean Lowry/Adams/Lancaster won't take a step up at all and Daniels is not at all in the future (a 2-3 year Cullen Jenkins philly contract is definitely still in play).

3 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I see the argument for 1, I think 2 is not worth it. A few rebuttles;

-If you look at most position groups, there is always uncertainty or holes looking 2 years out in the NFL. By this time next year, realistically a few of the following will happen; Bulaga is gone and we have a hole, maybe our 2nd year wrs haven't taken a step, TE looks uncertain, our G position could still suck, ILB might still just be Blake, Fackrell might regress back to the mean and our OLB position will still suck, S could still be a question. It is really hard to just justify grabbing 2 guys at a position that we are looking okay at right now with day 1-2 picks.

-Unless we are going to go 4-3 we only need 4 startable guys and 1-2 guys that aren't completely holes. By drafting 2 you are admitting Dean Lowry/Adams/Lancaster won't take a step up at all and Daniels is not at all in the future (a 2-3 year Cullen Jenkins philly contract is definitely still in play).

Added a OG in FA, drafted a OT in the early second

Added a WR in FA and 1 in the draft

Added a safety in FA and 2 in the draft.

Traded for Brate to help solidify the TE

I understand the leaving a hole, but it might be hard to fill the visible and invisible holes in the roster in 1 offseason.  

Drafting 2 during a year of strength in this draft class is adding talent and depth in preparation for the future.  

As I noted, adding this mix of positions/players allows Pettine to run a defense based on what the talent allows vs force fitting to something.

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

Drafting 2 during a year of strength in this draft class is adding talent and depth in preparation for the future.  

As I noted, adding this mix of positions/players allows Pettine to run a defense based on what the talent allows vs force fitting to something.

Last year we learned: Pettine likes to play with 3 DL more often than other teams
Pettine believes in keeping his DL fresh through rotation and the DL coach Montgomery ( who was retained) talked about that in his presser
And as you noted, its a deep class. And GB has higher picks than usual, which is where the DL fly off the board.

Archived