Raiders Defense

Rolni

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why couldn't Marquel Lee slide into that role since he's only going to be on the field for two downs anyway? I just think finding someone that can play ILB and cover as a backup is ideal. 

We’ve tried Lee as MLB before didn’t work out. You’ve already advocated getting Baun as a SLB now you are happy for Lee to start? If Lee moves to MLB who plays SLB ?

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 1

I think Heath could be used as a hybrid safety-LB in a 2 LB, 2 S plus Heath (s/lb) scheme but I’d prefer we limit the amount of reps like that.  Heath is best used on STs plus limited defensive packages.  He seems like the more you play him the worse your defense is.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dessie said:

We’ve tried Lee as MLB before didn’t work out. You’ve already advocated getting Baun as a SLB now you are happy for Lee to start? If Lee moves to MLB who plays SLB ?

The reason I like Baun is because he can also rush the passer off the edge on passing downs. We're in our base defense 40% of the time. Either way I'd prefer a LB that can cover but I'd also be okay with Malik Harrison at #80. 

12 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I think Heath could be used as a hybrid safety-LB in a 2 LB, 2 S plus Heath (s/lb) scheme but I’d prefer we limit the amount of reps like that.  Heath is best used on STs plus limited defensive packages.  He seems like the more you play him the worse your defense is.

Really? He started 29 games over the last two seasons for a Cowboys defense that ranked in the top 10 both years. 

Edited by NYRaider

5 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

but a ceiling for a LB who had no range is low. Rather find a thumper on day 3

I disagree if you are saying Harrison doesn’t have range. He’s not the cover guy like Simmons and Queen but he’s a solid Mike imo. Reads the QB well, COD is good for a big guy. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think Heath is locked in as our 3rd safety, it's Harris who could lose his spot If we draft a development Safety. 

They're going to play completely different roles. Harris will play at FS and Heath will likely be a box safety exclusively. But obviously Randall and Abram should get most of the snaps at safety. 

8 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I disagree if you are saying Harrison doesn’t have range. He’s not the cover guy like Simmons and Queen but he’s a solid Mike imo. Reads the QB well, COD is good for a big guy. 

Yeah, Harrison actually tested out pretty damn well at the combine. I don't think he'll be great in coverage but he should be good enough to be a starting MLB/SLB. 

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I like Brooks a lot.  But he’s a MIKE only imo.  And Willie gays the guy that excites you then disappoints you IMO.  Could be wrong and he might really be good.  It’s risky with him.

From what I have read about Brooks is that he projects to a 2 down attacking LB to start his career and should be able to develop into a starting weakside backer.  I think he is an improvement over every LB we had last year except Burfict.  If we are playing Lee at Sam Brooks would be a good pick as he could back up all 3 positions if needed.  WGJ would have been drafted a lot higher if he did not have to miss 8 games last year.  He would need to develop also but like Brooks has the tools if we have the coaches.  There are a lot of LBs to draft in the 3rd and I hope Mayock can strike gold again.  

37 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I understand the role part, but I feel Mayock would look to draft a FS over a SS if he chooses to add a safety on draft night. 

Most definitely. We need a FS to pair with Abram going forward. Really hoping that we end up with Ashtyn Davis in the third round. 

• Like 1