Raiders Defense

Rolni

6 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Collins is by far a superior talent to Hall/Hurst. I don’t play video games but just think of Madden Ratings 

Collins- 82 lower 80s

Hurst- 72 

Hall- 70 

I could see situations where hall and Hankins get a lot of snaps together and Collins+hurst come in on passing downs.  I think Collins starts but If the coaches decided to start Hall for run early but give Collins a higher snap count I wouldn’t be suprised.  I’m not talking all 16 games, I’m talking situationally- against heavy run teams.

I rewatched the KC game again. I think our inability to run vertically with fast WRs hurt us the most in the game. Randall and Littleton will definitely help, but we need at least 1 more corner (duh) with long speed AND a nickel back/versatile coverage DB. Whether that's worley (after the draft), Burgess, or another safety/slot type defender we need to get that figured out 100% or we'll be mismatched all game long.

On O, I think we need a #1 type AND a downfield threat (SPEED). Waller and Williams (pre injury) can both make contested catches. But we need more speed so we can run spread pass plays (including variants of 4 verts).

Agholor is a good #4 for now, but can we bring in a developmental guy to do what Demarcus Robinson/Mecole Hardman can do. 

Is that KJ Hamler? Lynn Bowden? Quez Watkins? Some interesting scenarios here.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I rewatched the KC game again. I think our inability to run vertically with fast WRs hurt us the most in the game. Randall and Littleton will definitely help, but we need at least 1 more corner (duh) with long speed AND a nickel back/versatile coverage DB. Whether that's worley (after the draft), Burgess, or another safety/slot type defender we need to get that figured out 100% or we'll be mismatched all game long.

On O, I think we need a #1 type AND a downfield threat (SPEED). Waller and Williams (pre injury) can both make contested catches. But we need more speed so we can run spread pass plays (including variants of 4 verts).

Agholor is a good #4 for now, but can we bring in a developmental guy to do what Demarcus Robinson/Mecole Hardman can do. 

Is that KJ Hamler? Lynn Bowden? Quez Watkins? Some interesting scenarios here.

there's some speed guys at WR in this draft. I think we all want to double dip. I argue that Jacobs has that power/burst but lacking in home run threat. I actually want our RB2 to be more of a long end speed. I hope we add speed in those 3 spots. I agree on speed at corners. I just feel like our defense always seems slow 

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

there's some speed guys at WR in this draft. I think we all want to double dip. I argue that Jacobs has that power/burst but lacking in home run threat. I actually want our RB2 to be more of a long end speed. I hope we add speed in those 3 spots. I agree on speed at corners. I just feel like our defense always seems slow 

A good FS can make up for poor CBs. If you look at the KC game most times the FS is there just doesn't make the play other times it's a blown coverage. Either way the upgrade at FS was much needed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You say that our inability to run vertically with fast WR's was our biggest weakness but want to bring back Worley? Dude is a CB running a 4.8. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Totty said:

Sorry if I missed it but is Collins a starter on this defense or is it Hurst and Hankins and bring in Collins on passing downs? 

15 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think it's Hurst/Hall+Hankins on early downs and Hurst+Collins on passing downs. BUT Collins might end up playing more snaps it depends on what Guenther thinks of Collins.

I don't think you pay him $6M to be a backup. He'll likely start with Hankins as it doesn't seem the staff likes Hurst/Hall very much. Considering Hurst's usage was way down, there were rumors PJ Hall might not even make the roster last season, and there are still rumors that we want to improve our interior DL in the draft. Not to mention Rod Marinelli was banging the table for us to get him and he'll likely be the DC by the end of the season, imo. 

Edited by NYRaider

13 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Collins is by far a superior talent to Hall/Hurst. I don’t play video games but just think of Madden Ratings 

Collins- 82 lower 80s

Hurst- 72 

Hall- 70 

Littleton - 79

Whitehead - 76

We should've just kept Tahir. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

You say that our inability to run vertically with fast WR's was our biggest weakness but want to bring back Worley? Dude is a CB running a 4.8. 

Worley run a 4.64.  Not 4.8... and im guessing Worley would fall under the versatile DB he was talking about... someone who can cover TE or bigger WRs.

https://www.draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=128500&DraftYear=2016

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think you pay him $6M to be a backup. He'll likely start with Hankins as it doesn't seem the staff likes Hurst/Hall very much. Considering Hurst's usage was way down, there were rumors PJ Hall might not even make the roster last season, and there are still rumors that we want to improve our interior DL in the draft. Not to mention Rod Marinelli was banging the table for us to get him and he'll likely be the DC by the end of the season, imo. 

While all true, DT rotate often because they’d tired out playing over 60-70% of the snaps and using Collins on rushing downs would take away from his pass rush.  
what people are saying is Collins will get the most snaps but he might not be a “starter” for all 16 games.  We could see Hall and Hankins start games.  But they’d only get a 40/60 split of snaps with Collins getting the most.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Worley is so slow. I still have nightmares of AJ Brown abusing him last year. 

He’s definitely a slow CB.  My point is he’s so slow there’s no need to exaggerate it by saying 4.8.  
but worley has had longer moments of success.  When people advocate for him to come back it’s only as a placeholder until a rookie is able to start and then use him in a role of covering TEs and larger WRs, which he is decent at.

• Like 1